PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic lighting sapien

PopeAK49
April 3rd, 2012, 03:48 PM
Does anyone know if it is possible to make dynamic lighting visible inside of sapien?

PopeAK49
April 3rd, 2012, 08:01 PM
The thing that sucks about it is when you work on a map that is dark...

Ki11a_FTW
April 3rd, 2012, 09:33 PM
I've worked with sapien for a long long time. Sapien is indeed a light-weight version of the halo engine meaning that the resloution and graphics are not the best. Effects such as fire, lens flares, dynamic lights, gun fire effects (like hearing ai shooting will not work), explosions, etc. This stuff is only rendered in the game engine which makes it a pain in the ass if your testing particles or dynamic lights. Sapien does use the same engine Halo uses, it uses the same soure files, everything. Its not a whole different thing you have to work with. I'm sure one of the coders here (kornman) could easily find away to reactivate all these features. I havent worked with sapien in 3 years or so, but thats the way it is if i remember correctly, but I woulden't think itd be to hard to fix.

As some people know there are other options that dont work, such as playing your leven in sapien (itll just give you the FP screen, but you cant move) which means recorded animations arent working as well. I forget what command it is to test your map in sapien, run_scripts i think? Idk. Testing your map in sapien would make things a whole lot easier imo, and so would enabling all these effects. Although i dont work with Halo anymore it would still benefit for the community and map development.

EDIT: A lot of people know that I was once one of the main dudes of SP mapping and scripting and I've dug deep deep into this engine back in the day, but not being a coder, I couldent find away around any of these issues. I have some work arounds with a lot of things but its still not good enough.

I hope kornman reads this because all of this would be a great addition to OS.