PDA

View Full Version : John Carter (2012)

Cortexian
May 19th, 2012, 04:13 AM
Transplanted to Mars, a Civil War vet discovers a lush planet inhabited by 12-foot tall barbarians. Finding himself a prisoner of these creatures, he escapes, only to encounter a princess who is in desperate need of a savior.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcV7aXL8txU

So I saw this in theaters because it looked awesome, I just saw it again after watching the Bluray and it was equally as awesome. It makes me sad that it did so poorly in theaters that we likely won't ever see a sequel... The original story the movie is based on was published before Star Wars, Avatar, and many other cult-hit Sci-Fi shows were even conceived. The story is a good one (by todays standards, extremely reused though), and the graphics and acting were fairly superb IMO. Lynn Collins is probably one of the better poster girls we've seen in flicks like this as well. Dejah Thoris was always made out to be a beautiful, intellectual character that can handle herself in a fight and Lynn did a great job.

So basically this movie has:
• A great story based off a story that inspired a lot of other Sci-Fi's (just came a bit late).
• Good actors.
• Hot girls (in skimpy outfits).
• Good CGI.
• Some decent plot curve-balls.
• Good action sequences (including explosions).
• Interesting characters.
• Cool environments.

It seriously should of done better. I think the biggest issue was that Disney just couldn't convey how awesome it was when they did their initial marketing. This movie is every bit as good as Avatar, I highly recommend watching it if you haven't already. Just keep in mind that the story this is based on was envisioned and published before the original Star Wars movies even came out.

DarkHalo003
May 19th, 2012, 12:23 PM
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/john_carter/

Amit
May 19th, 2012, 01:17 PM
I didn't watch it because it looked like the typical Disney bullshit.

Cortexian
May 19th, 2012, 04:05 PM
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/john_carter/
All the so called "reviewers" took heaping piles of shit on John Carter. The "official" reviews are completely irrelevant.

I didn't watch it because it looked like the typical Disney bullshit.
If the blood in the movie wasn't blue it would be rated R.

It's not your "typical Disney bullshit" in the slightest.

Limited
May 19th, 2012, 05:24 PM
If the blood in the movie wasn't blue it would be rated R..What the hell is that kind of rule? Way to go rating board.

By the way, blood can be blue...

I didnt watch it because it was being shoved down my throat so much to the point where it showed how desperate they were into getting me to watch it. A film should (in a way) sell its self. Market it a bit yes but don't let it invade my life.

The Avengers, on the contrary, spent 100mil on marketing, and I didnt actually see it being advertised that much. Perhaps that was just me but it seemed passive marketing from how I saw it.

Siliconmaster
May 19th, 2012, 06:53 PM
This movie was really awesome, I think the marketing just sucked big time. They focused on the one scene that looked like the arena from Star Wars Episode II, rather than the rest of the movie, which is actually good.

Amit
May 19th, 2012, 07:18 PM
I've watched plenty of shitty movies before. I don't think that it could be much worse than motherfucking Skyline. I might stream it to see what it's about.

Cortexian
May 24th, 2012, 03:44 AM
I didnt watch it because it was being shoved down my throat so much to the point where it showed how desperate they were into getting me to watch it. A film should (in a way) sell its self. Market it a bit yes but don't let it invade my life.

The Avengers, on the contrary, spent 100mil on marketing, and I didnt actually see it being advertised that much. Perhaps that was just me but it seemed passive marketing from how I saw it.
That's weird, I saw very little advertising and marketing for John Carter. Yet everywhere I went in the month prior to The Avengers release there were adverts. Car dealerships, malls, television sections at Future Shop/Best Buy, YouTube, etc... All Avengers stuff. I think I saw one or two TV adverts and a YouTube advert for John Carter.

Also, blood is always red unless there's something seriously wrong with it. Veins look blue because of the way skin diffuses light. I'm talking realistic Earth-based lifeforms here.

nuttyyayap
May 24th, 2012, 05:09 AM
But... some spiders and other similar creatures have blue blood :saddowns:

Higuy
May 24th, 2012, 05:14 AM
I heard that only the begining and ending are good, but the middle of the movie is rather unintresting. I'll have to check it out sometime to see though.

Hotrod
May 24th, 2012, 10:42 AM
I've been meaning to check this out sometime, I'll definitely have to do so when I get the time.