PDA

View Full Version : HCE Interior Lighting issue

Higuy
June 12th, 2012, 12:05 PM
I have a pretty annoying issue when it comes to large, indoor BSP's and lighting. For some reason, when running lightmaps, Halo likes to think that I have no ceiling, so the light just bleeds in through the top. I've tried adding more portals and such, but It hasn't really helped that much, if at all. However, the gltich does not effect the lighting of the ceiling, as it seems to be lighted correctly... just not calculated for the rest of the geometry that its actually there. With smaller parts of maps I do not have this issue. Any help would be most appreciated.

Rentafence
June 12th, 2012, 12:13 PM
The first thing I could think of is something messed up with the shaders. Are you using any custom materials on the faces where light is bleeding through?

Higuy
June 12th, 2012, 01:12 PM
No. The issue happens one two bsps - one is the Hangar from a10, while the other is a custom bsp. Both use stock materials though for the most part. The part were it is bleeding through is not custom though.

BobtheGreatII
June 12th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Could you get a screenshot?

Higuy
June 13th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Sure. I'll post one of the hangar as an example...

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/9186/sapien2012061321125878.jpg

As you can see, there is pure sun light dropping in, however its clearly in a enclosed space. There is literally no area at all that you can see sunlight. In the other bsp you can see the sky but not the sunlight at all.

Higuy
June 16th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Any help on this at all??

Ki11a_FTW
June 16th, 2012, 10:24 PM
^
autumn was set in a dark environment with nothing but lights, lighting up the atmosphere. The maw actually has an exterior, and i dont recall that the hanger is enclosed ontop by the top of the ship. Seems like its a problem with the geometry somewhere. Id just cover it up with a solid black plane on all sides so no lighting gets in.

Also someone needs to make use of the hanger from that map Launch Bay X:(

chrisk123999
June 16th, 2012, 10:26 PM
I think the hanger on that level had a different sky tag. x10sky or something. It's been awhile, just go in and change those parts of the BSP to that sky. I would think that will fix it.

Rentafence
June 16th, 2012, 10:38 PM
AFAIK the lighting solution sees all geometry as being double sided. There is probably something else funky that's going on.

E: And now that I think about it, I can't picture any sort of scenario in my head where you could have a light source emitting light through a backface when the world is sealed.

Rentafence
June 16th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Waitaminute, I just thought of something. In the sky tag, do you have "affects interiors" checked?

http://puu.sh/BtB8

If it is unchecked, just go ahead and cover the region up with planes like I said earlier.

Wouldn't you want the light to not affect interiors?

Rentafence
June 16th, 2012, 11:00 PM
I misinterpereted it because assuming he has it checked and if he unchecks it, then there's no need for the round about solution.

Higuy
June 17th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Yes, affects interiors is unchecked. I've also tried the "duct tape" method on the other bsp which did not work. This bsp is also straight ported from a10 and didn't modify the geometry.

Higuy
June 17th, 2012, 08:57 AM
I fixed the hangar:

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/2226/sapien2012061709561043.jpg

I fixed it by completely removing the sky though. In the other BSP, the sky is clearly visible, so I cannot do that.

Rentafence
June 17th, 2012, 09:55 AM
How was the skybox set up for the hangar? Was it just the face on the opening of the hanger?

Higuy
June 17th, 2012, 10:12 AM
No, that is closed. The only part that was open was a small face where you would drive in through on the Maw when entering.

Rentafence
June 17th, 2012, 10:56 AM
That's really weird.

Siliconmaster
June 17th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Rigged solution, which you've already started on:

Remove sky, run radiosity on interior bsps (with no skybox visible. Then reassign sky to the level. Shows up in the ones it needs, and as long as you don't rerun radiosity on the hanger, it'll look the same.

Higuy
June 17th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Rigged solution, which you've already started on:

Remove sky, run radiosity on interior bsps (with no skybox visible. Then reassign sky to the level. Shows up in the ones it needs, and as long as you don't rerun radiosity on the hanger, it'll look the same.

Good idea. Thanks.

Siliconmaster
June 17th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Only time non-dynamic lighting in Halo is a good thing :P Glad I could help.

Higuy
June 17th, 2012, 05:33 PM
There seems to be a problem with this solution however. Even if though I have included invisble lighting and other solutions to create more believable enviroments, without the ambient light, almost the entire thing is very dark where there is no lights. I wonder if it would be possible to to keep the sky but have no sun (at least make a temporary version), that way I get the ambient lighting, but nothing directional so it dosent bleed through.

Higuy
June 17th, 2012, 07:06 PM
I fixed it by doing the above.

/thread

Siliconmaster
June 17th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Weird, I thought I posted saying that might work, but my post isn't there, my internet must have derped along the way. Glad you fixed it though!