PDA

View Full Version : Story Time

Zeph
October 17th, 2012, 10:39 PM
So I was digging through a bunch of old mod threads trying to find links to the sandbox I used to make the Source/Crysis/Unreal themes when we switched over from H2V to Modacity. Brought up a lot of lost memories and things I'd forgotten. Looking through the ban history for fun, I noticed a lot of familiar names I didn't expect would really ever get there. Some of them, I banned and cant even remember why >_<. Anyways, here's some familiar names; what got them there:

Seal
Dano
Neuro (or was this the dramatic image posting spree exit I dont want to recall?)
Boba
Ross
Sel (point accumulation, lol, but how?)
Snaf
Tweek

In retrospect, I'd like to apologize for all those I banned and did not leave a description. Your disappearance from this forum has been completely forgotten. It would have been much more entertaining should I had left a memento for anyone in the future looking back at the golden days.

Aside from that, any bannings anyone want to hear a good story of in specific?

Timo
October 17th, 2012, 11:04 PM
How the heck did Snaf get banned o_O? Seal isn't surprising, Dano got banned for being a dick at one point in time, Sel, Ross and Tweek (I think) for being dicks in general.

t3h m00kz
October 17th, 2012, 11:08 PM
Snaf had a ton of infractions at one point, I seem to remember him getting banned after going off on someone.

Rainbow Dash
October 17th, 2012, 11:30 PM
it's like a list of the best members to every graze this site

with the exception of seal atleast

t3h m00kz
October 17th, 2012, 11:30 PM
I've never been banned.

I'm a good little boy.

Rainbow Dash
October 17th, 2012, 11:49 PM
I've never been banned.

I'm a good little boy.

cute~ :3

Zeph
October 17th, 2012, 11:54 PM
Gather my children and I shall tell you a tale of the golden antics of my youth.

Infamy of my prowess in battle had not yet become true public knowledge for I had ultimately vanquished my foes and their alternate accounts utterly so. It was a happy time amongst the forum with even Ghost himself none the wiser to my valiant efforts in protecting this land. Threads were prosperous and there was no shitposting. The subdomains were redirecting properly and my themes were beautiful. It was a pleasantly warm evening the day before Thanksgiving; I was testing the script to synch Modacity permissions with ModReality groups for jabber access when a new message appears in Moderator Discussion: "higuy's banning ATTN: Zeph".

higuy? I dont particularly remember this gentleman.
ATTN: Zeph? Yes, that is me.

I eagerly clicked the link to see what The Ghost would have me do. Unfortunately it seemed my actions had caused him a slight disturbance in his daily routine.

Zeph,

I just got this email from higuy's concerned mother:

I've been monitoring my son's computer use, and discovered he was banned from this site. I'm trying to figure out why. Could someone answer my question or help? Thank you.

Can you give me a reason besides "fucktard doing fucktard things", as you've stated in his ban message, that I can tell her?

Oh my. While I can not easily divulge the specifics of the discussion on policies that resulted, I can say there were many examples of ban reasons cited that may or may not have actually existed. However, one startling revelation found the light of day. Well, it was more of the light of the moon as it was nearly three in the morning at this point in the thread.

Zeph, he is 12, not a grown man, lol.
At this point, the entire staff of Modacity was in an uproar. Many of us understood the fuming rage of our girlfriends would exponentially multiply after childbirth and what damage it could result in. Sensing a great crisis looming in the future, one man took it upon himself to administer the situation.

Wow zeph, two months for that? Granted he wasn't a jewel of the community, but he wasn't a complete and total shitposter. :|

I'm sending her this message:

Dear Kristina,

It appears as though your son (I assume he registered as the username "higuy") was banned for being disrespectful to one of our staff members via the "Reputation" system. Users have the ability to increase or decrease a user's reputation value (an action we call "+repping", "-repping" or just "repping") via an icon shown in a post, and leave them a comment with the action.

Specifically, your son had sent one of our Super Moderators, Zeph, a -rep with the attached comment of: "Wow, way to be a FuckTard."

Originally, the ban was a temporary, full restriction of board use for two months from the ban date (November 11). It seems that it was an arbitrary length picked by another staff member, much too harsh for the circumstances. I've lowered the length to three weeks instead, and the ban (still full restriction) will end on December 2nd.

Regards,
Chris, a.k.a. p0lar_bear
Modacity.net Co-Administrator

There was much conversation to be had for this. New ideas were reintroduced such as this "Logic" and "professionalism?" New words were introduced into our vocabulary like "You can ban him", "small ban", and "ban him again". The discussion lasted for four days when a monumental discovery was made: [redacted] to ban TheGhost?

It seemed like an impossible task to ban someone with higher levels of permissions than you. Not four days prior was much uproar discovered when Innergoat discovered I had far higher permissions than he could imagine. Yet, wildcards and DNS were a powerful tool in the ban interface. Could such thing be that my mastery of the ban hammer had reached such heights that I could ban TheGhost? Why yes, that is exactly what I did: [x.x.x.x] (DNS IP Ghost connects through at home).

And that, my children, is how we learned Ghost's secret Thanksgiving travel plans took him to New York that year.

Amit
October 18th, 2012, 12:01 AM
lol wtf.

Timo
October 18th, 2012, 12:11 AM
"fucktard doing fucktard things". That is gold.

Zeph
October 18th, 2012, 12:27 AM
Fun fact for those of you registering after October 2008. You were able to pass my test by determining the fourth digit of pi either through smarts or brute force. It is 90% likely that you are not a bot.

STLRamsFan
October 18th, 2012, 12:34 AM
I've always wanted to see the discussions about the DDS attack, all because someone (think it was someone named Sod or something?) considered the HCEL an actual threat to the HPT or whatever? Good times...

neuro
October 18th, 2012, 12:37 AM
i had some of the best fun of my life here :V

Bodzilla
October 18th, 2012, 12:49 AM
I've never been banned.

I'm a good little boy.
you did an hero off the forums for a while though

t3h m00kz
October 18th, 2012, 12:56 AM
Can you give me a reason besides "fucktard doing fucktard things", as you've stated in his ban message, that I can tell her?

classy as fuck

Zeph, he is 12, not a grown man, lol.

That explains a lot.

Dear Kristina,

It appears as though your son (I assume he registered as the username "higuy") was banned for being disrespectful to one of our staff members via the "Reputation" system. Users have the ability to increase or decrease a user's reputation value (an action we call "+repping", "-repping" or just "repping") via an icon shown in a post, and leave them a comment with the action.

Specifically, your son had sent one of our Super Moderators, Zeph, a -rep with the attached comment of: "Wow, way to be a FuckTard."

Originally, the ban was a temporary, full restriction of board use for two months from the ban date (November 11). It seems that it was an arbitrary length picked by another staff member, much too harsh for the circumstances. I've lowered the length to three weeks instead, and the ban (still full restriction) will end on December 2nd.

Regards,
Chris, a.k.a. p0lar_bear
Modacity.net Co-Administrator

Fucking polar. So professional.

t3h m00kz
October 18th, 2012, 12:57 AM
you did an hero off the forums for a while though

SHHHHHH we don't talk about the dark times.

Zeph
October 18th, 2012, 01:02 AM
I've always wanted to see the discussions about the DDS attack, all because someone (think it was someone named Sod or something?) considered the HCEL an actual threat to the HPT or whatever? Good times...
Saw something about four guys trying to DDoS the site. I think the site went down twice over the course of 20 minutes during their reported attack period, but that was probably because of the long history of server issues we've had trying to get our desired setup for the site. We were too poor to get exactly what we wanted to do really cool stuff with and too rich for what would be good enough for what we need to get by with only on a forum. Their info was added to the site's security measures so it's not like they could really do anything without a botnet behind them.

Timo
October 18th, 2012, 01:09 AM
There was some pretty good rage in the section where people got their temp bans laid out. Forget its name.

t3h m00kz
October 18th, 2012, 01:31 AM
the faggot section?

Donut
October 18th, 2012, 01:32 AM
i got a warning for a gag post that con mistook as actual anger. thats kind of just been sitting in my control panel for over 3 years now. oh and somebody +repped me with goatse one time too. that was fun.

dont think ive been directly involved in any tremendously memorable modacity moments though.

Zeph
October 18th, 2012, 01:41 AM
Think it was detention. Wanted to give it a cool name for the chill people, but you'd be surprised at the number of people who took it way too seriously.

Also, we used to be super concerned with the site's analytics and search engine results. Up to the point when we got our hands on the gimped H2EK and realized the title had no future, we had a fued with the current #1 google result for "Halo 2 Vista". Through SEO trickery, the domain halo2pc.com landed the top spot while our very own halo2vista.net was in number 2. I was an utter noob in the html metagame, but I did what I could. From what I gathered after that, I determined our very own gripes about how that specific domain were counting as redirects pushing it up to the number one search result. I scoured our site and enforced a had-to-be-hidden rule that there was to be no mention of that site on any board that was read by a google bot.

Hilariously enough, that guy tried to buy our site a couple of times. When we wouldn't sell, he tried to sell us his site/domain.

A year and a half later, we were still excited by climbing analytics but half our traffic was direct and another third redirecting from places like halomaps/halomods. In fact, no one using google seemed to want to look us up.

It's kinda sad we get more visits from people looking for artistic disaster's myspace than we do for halo 2 vista.

Funniest part? Someone's phone number gave us more search hits than that myspace page.

Bodzilla
October 18th, 2012, 06:54 AM
lol artistic disaster. Good times.

also, today i was looking at facebook "who the fuck is James baily?"
so i clicked on his profile and had a look at a convo i had over 2 years ago
"who the fuck is this?"
"it's Rob opwlar retard"
"coo"

good times

hey guys remember when portent was played?

good times

thehoodedsmack
October 18th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Just realized I joined GBX in 2006. Trying to decide whether 6 years was a long or short time ago...

Man, I used to be the coolest new member ever. Now look at me. [/old]

Those were indeed simpler times.

Limited
October 18th, 2012, 10:20 AM
lol artistic disaster. Good times.

"who the fuck is this?"
"it's Rob opwlar retard"
"coo"

good times
Hah I had a similiar experince recently. I was on Robs facebook page, saw Lightning and noticed he still has his moustache in this profile pic, so I thought I would send him a message. In the old Facebook, you could press "Send friend invite", and also add like a message to the invite. So I decided to do that...Turns out you cant put a message any more, and it simply sends an invite. So now I look like a random creepy guy trying to friend up Lightning.

Just realized I joined GBX in 2006. Trying to decide whether 6 years was a long or short time ago...

2006? Pfft your ababy, this is from 4/4/2006.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42037955/ennui post.jpg

=sw=warlord
October 18th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Got banned for this post (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?23480-Recording-police-fuckups-is-now-a-punishable-offense...in-the-eyes-of-fucktard-cops&p=586592&viewfull=1#post586592).
ah the memories.

ODX
October 18th, 2012, 03:52 PM
^AHAHAHAHA THAT'S GOLD

I've only been infracted once since 2007, and it was for simply calling Advancebo an idiot. (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?11196-GALLERY-cad-s-craptacular-creations&p=505407#post505407)

Otherwise, I'm a good little boy just like Mookie <3

DarkHalo003
October 18th, 2012, 04:28 PM
I have never been banned. I behave myself. I have been infracted once or twice though for necroposting on accident (even though it was in the H2V forum when nothing was alive to begin with). I was in red negative rep for a while though. That's what happens when you're raised in a conservative small town and post in a diverse, liberal forum. However, a lot of that negative rep was never really just. It was usually Bodz or Noob calling me a fuck (funny how that works now given we casually talked SC2 for a while), but I remember getting a lot of hate for some stuff that didn't warrant after I had began to shape up. This site. I think my Rep would be negative three bars by now simply because I make neuro and Rossmum rage post so much.

Tl;DR - I never got banned, rarely infracted, but I sure as hell piss people off.

Inbox messages from the past!

Snaf 2008:

Sup jackass. And yes, everything I stated there is true, unless I missed something in the past year. Seriously, why do people get so emo over this stuff? http://www.modacity.net/forums/styles/smilies/trillian/confused.gif

suck my cock.http://www.modacity.net/forums/styles/smilies/trillian/lol.gif
Rofl. Suck your own. Seriously, I got three messages saying I was being ignorant because of a statement that is true. The "End of line" was actually me being pissed off at something else at the time, which in no sense should I have let that make my post unclear. And the black vote went to Obama mostly because he was black. But like it was said, the same goes for other scenarios. But how many racists do we have in this country now-a-days anyways? I disagree with Obama's policies, not his nationality. It was stupid that I got off track like that anyways. I hated this election. Too much shit going on at once. http://www.modacity.net/forums/styles/smilies/trillian/eyesroll.gif

piss off
Seriously, that was a neutral statement and it has some realization in it. People are too busy being in this "hopeland" and "change factor" that they don't see the line behind politics. Whether he means what he says is up to him, but in most cases ANY candidate says what they can to get into office. This election just showed that our country is being lazy instead of proactive. Get it?

i'm not interested in discussing politics with the likes of someone of your mentality.

Then I was technically infracted for this, but it was more like a verbal Infraction from Phopo. Good times.
http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?12814-Modacity-Votes-2008/page11&p=321384#post321384

Infracted for this one. I found this hilarious looking at it now. I was such a punk-ass:

Dear DarkHalo003, You have received an infraction at Modacity Forums. Reason: Flame-Baiting/Trolling ------- ------- This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire. Original Post: 349930

The road to fascism, racism, oppression, dictatorship and communism is paved by people like you. What the fuck? You may want to check your rebel ass before you start blaring like that asshole. If that's how you think I am, then it's people like you who start riots and hurt people because you disagree with them. I don't care if you think you're on top of the world, but that gives you no right to carry illegal items with you. Jngrow said everything I implied well enough. Look at that post. If you aren't American, you really shouldn't be dishing out shit on America. Your country is probably just as fucked up as ours is with some stuff. But Canada is alright. All the best, Modacity Forums

Good times indeed.

Timo
October 18th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Rep should be enabled again.

annihilation
October 18th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I try my best to behave since Jfap told me to make a new account entirely. I have one warning from teh lag. Other than that I'm a good noodle~

fake e: Found out I still have files.h2vista.net bookmarked.

TVTyrant
October 18th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Yes, but it should be reset so we can all have a fresh start.

PopeAK49
October 18th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Why have I not been banned yet?....

Zeph
October 18th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Yes, but it should be reset so we can all have a fresh start.
Lol, no.

Disaster
October 18th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Good times.

Higuy
October 18th, 2012, 07:12 PM
I was once banned becuase I gave my opinion once. Yeah, great times on this site man!

t3h m00kz
October 18th, 2012, 07:29 PM
I was once banned becuase I was twelve

Pooky
October 18th, 2012, 07:46 PM
but you forgot me, I got banned too! :saddowns:

Just gonna throw out there though that I was being a completely immature retarded tool and deserved my ban 100%

Well, maybe 90%. We did have some really, really shit moderators back then.

Amit
October 18th, 2012, 08:26 PM
I haven't been banned before, but I've done a healthy dose of challenging the staff (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?23234-H4MT&p=577655&viewfull=1#post577655) with logic, so you know, free speech isn't really a thing here.

Oh yeah lol, and one time Snaf infracted me (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?21957-Custom-maps-custom-vehicles-custom-etc...&p=548084&viewfull=1#post548084) for posting in a thread that was previously locked, but opened by the owner against the will of the mods. Why am I to blame for that? The author of the thread opened it again, not me.

Please do this. Modacity isn't as fun anymore.

Why have I not been banned yet?....

You basically just asked to be banned. Expect it within 24 hours for 24 hours.

PenGuin1362
October 18th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Ah, the shit storms that ensued on this forum in the old days. No dramas have been as good since the ones from like the first year or two. As CAD once put it "h2v dramas dont last long, but theyre awesome"

Higuy
October 18th, 2012, 08:31 PM
REP. REP. REP. REP.

Ki11a_FTW
October 18th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Lets see, I started a ban-wagon line with this post

http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?11196-GALLERY-cad-s-craptacular-creations&p=473301&viewfull=1#post473301
and again..

http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?11196-GALLERY-cad-s-craptacular-creations&p=478633&viewfull=1#post478633

got many other infractions too :\

Good times though!

rossmum
October 18th, 2012, 10:45 PM

also i've been banned from this site like five times by now? all for varying lengths of time

usually at own request/after a slew of terrible banme posts

PopeAK49
October 19th, 2012, 12:37 AM
You basically just asked to be banned. Expect it within 24 hours for 24 hours.

Good. Now I can actually spend my 24 hours on something more beneficial....:realsmug:

Timo
October 19th, 2012, 12:39 AM
Well you're about to be banned because your sig is taking up precious pixels on my monitor.

neuro
October 19th, 2012, 12:47 AM
gawd, ennui hated me so passionately she once gave me three infractions for one post just so she could ban me

Timo
October 19th, 2012, 12:49 AM
I swear gbx was doing just fine before she came over and started shitting on everyone.

STLRamsFan
October 19th, 2012, 12:55 AM
Or when Hippy went on that rampage and ended up banning Reppy, Colin, Katana, and someone else when he overreacted and Ennui didn't do anything in helping that situation (as far as I remember she didn't).

And didn't she silence Lobo? :(

Not sure how the new community manager is, but it seems to be WAY more corporate than before....

El Lobo
October 19th, 2012, 09:20 PM
I've never been banned from here, great poster.

Also, Seal, great member.

El Lobo
October 19th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Oh my god Ennui was a plague.

STLRamsFan
October 20th, 2012, 10:53 PM
What was her issue with you after all? And apparently Zaskoda's original account got deleted by the new community manager or something, wow.

As far as Modacity, what did happen to Artistic Disaster?

Cortexian
October 21st, 2012, 01:56 AM
Rape.

Rape happened.

El Lobo
October 21st, 2012, 07:21 AM
To be honest Rams, I don't remember. Guessing the affiliation with #gbh didnt help, and the silencing actually might have started off as a joke that I didn't take too well when I figured it out :D. I figured that my posts were just so fantastic back in those days that she was really hurting the public by hiding them.

Also, you need to make the Cardinals win today. I'm much too fragile to be able to handle a game 7 in San Fran, I would start chain smoking cigs and the whiskey would come out.

:lobo:

rossmum
October 21st, 2012, 07:58 AM
I try to forget about GBX.

Well, in the sense that I try to forget how I was basically the worst poster alive, anyway. Jesus CHRIST my posting was bad.

(it still is)

Rosco
October 23rd, 2012, 04:55 PM
I was almost banned for multi accounts until one of them turned out to be rec0

Agamemnon

discuss

STLRamsFan
October 23rd, 2012, 05:13 PM
To be honest Rams, I don't remember. Guessing the affiliation with #gbh didnt help, and the silencing actually might have started off as a joke that I didn't take too well when I figured it out :D. I figured that my posts were just so fantastic back in those days that she was really hurting the public by hiding them.

Also, you need to make the Cardinals win today. I'm much too fragile to be able to handle a game 7 in San Fran, I would start chain smoking cigs and the whiskey would come out.

:lobo:

Oh yea #gbh, does that place even exist still (in terms of the old school members being there and all)? Wonder whatever became of Colin since he never drops by these days.

Yea, watching the Cardinals lose yesterday was pretty depressing... I mean wow that was just plain bad. Lost a frecking bet because of yesterday's game!

Edit: By the way Rosco, accept my Facebook request! Gosh

Timo
October 23rd, 2012, 06:15 PM

Agamemnon

discuss

Where are those comics at

Rosco
October 24th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Where are those comics at

They were quite awesome

and rams: accepted

Pooky
October 24th, 2012, 07:18 PM

Agamemnon

discuss

That Oblivion mod he did was pretty cool.

Rob Oplawar
October 26th, 2012, 12:30 PM
"who the fuck is this?"
"it's Rob opwlar retard"
"coo"

You managed to misspell both of my last names. Way to go.

TVTyrant
October 26th, 2012, 04:01 PM
lol

I thought you were dead

rossmum
October 26th, 2012, 04:46 PM
hahahahahahahaha

Zeph
October 26th, 2012, 05:17 PM
lol

I thought you were dead
I thought he was banned.

Pooky
October 28th, 2012, 08:20 AM

hey how's that bridge ce coming release soon??

TPBlinD
November 4th, 2012, 07:35 PM
seal was the best member this forum had

TVTyrant
November 4th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Actually it was Heathen.

STLRamsFan
November 5th, 2012, 01:06 AM
seal was the best member this forum had

Where did A Baby Seal go off to anyway? I remember he got banned from GBX and was never seen again.

TPBlinD
November 5th, 2012, 12:51 PM
He just idles in #gbh now along with Hijikata and Katana

STLRamsFan
November 7th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Ah ok, haven't heard from that fool in so long.

Another thing I'd like to know, since I didn't really pay attention to the whole thing around the time it happened, why was Emmzee banned and then allowed to come back after two or so years?

rossmum
November 8th, 2012, 03:34 AM
He was unbanned years ago, he just didn't know it (and neither did anybody else apparently).