PDA

View Full Version : Oculus Rift: What mods would be needed in the halo engine?

leorimolo
April 17th, 2013, 04:44 PM
So apart from the video output which would probably be made with some type of post processor, what kind of modifications would be possible to make using the HEK or memory editing applications to make halo compatible with Oculus Rift?

Since many of you are veteran taggers and know the HEK up and down I wanted to hear your ideas.

What I would do is:
-Make the viewing camera (that turns with the VR) independent from the shooting camera. I have some ideas on how to make this but they involve extensive memory editing applications or probably something suited more for opensauce.

Zeph
April 17th, 2013, 06:10 PM
You need access to the rasterizer.
It won't happen.
It's not simply having cameras set up a certain way. Things have to be rendered a specific way (per eye) to make it work.

Amit
April 17th, 2013, 08:55 PM
^

Btcc22
April 17th, 2013, 10:40 PM
It won't happen.

But it can be done.

jcap
April 17th, 2013, 10:40 PM
The most that could probably be done with Halo and the Oculus Rift is the stereoscopic vision. There is already software that exists for 3D monitors which injects a d3d9.dll (like OpenSauce) into games to render each eye with an offset.

Example:
RYtb38mXk_A

leorimolo
April 17th, 2013, 10:45 PM
The most that could probably be done with Halo and the Oculus Rift is the stereoscopic vision. There is already software that exists for 3D monitors which injects a d3d9.dll (like OpenSauce) into games to render each eye with an offset.

Example:
RYtb38mXk_A
Its funny because I wasn't wondering at all about the stereoscopic effect basing myself that tools exist to make these kind of things.

Guys im wondering more about the fact of how would you actually make, individual cursos for both the reticule and your headmovement, incorporating zoom etc. This is more of a how could halo be modded to work with VR rather than an actual project im undertaking

jcap
April 18th, 2013, 12:10 AM
Yeah that's what I'm saying. The most that could be done is the stereoscopic effect. I very highly doubt anything with the reticle or head movement will be done. (Frankly, I think that shit is dumb as fuck anyway. It just adds extra confusion and unnecessary complexity to player movement.)

Zeph
April 18th, 2013, 01:12 AM
But it can be done.
The complete source code could also be done but that's not going to happen.

Amit
April 19th, 2013, 08:58 AM
(Frankly, I think that shit is dumb as fuck anyway. It just adds extra confusion and unnecessary complexity to player movement.)

I agree. For games that require a lot of situational awareness (e.g. Arma/DayZ, racing, flight sim, etc.) it's a great asset to have, but in a strict, arcade-style first person shooter, it doesn't lend itself well to the fast-paced action. If you guys have seen the TF2 video, it goes through a number of options for head/reticule movement, but none of them seemed to really be a huge benefit to the guy playing because it's so damn disorienting when you need to fly around a corner or jump off a building, all while firing your weapon on the enemy in intense, close-range action.

Zeph
April 19th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Yeah, but for the people who learn how to use the Rift and it becomes second nature, they'll be gods of gaming when it comes to doing just that since they'll find new ways of doing things you simply can't do with a static screen.

Warsaw
April 23rd, 2013, 03:34 PM
Yeah that's what I'm saying. The most that could be done is the stereoscopic effect. I very highly doubt anything with the reticle or head movement will be done. (Frankly, I think that shit is dumb as fuck anyway. It just adds extra confusion and unnecessary complexity to player movement.)

6DoF is only confusing when you just get started using it. Once you have it down, though, it's hard to go back to a traditional, static perspective. Even in ArmA, with its modifier key method, is actually not that bad.

INSANEdrive
April 23rd, 2013, 06:21 PM

Example:
[youtube]RYtb38mXk_A[/youtube

Is there a particular name for this software? or should I Google (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=software+that+exists+for+3D+monitors+which+inje cts+a+d3d9.dll) "software that exists for 3D monitors which injects a d3d9.dll"?

The complete source code could also be done but that's not going to happen.

It will. You just need to live long enough where it is considered by the owners to be of no more use. I guess that means you have to stop drinking now.

Well. Ive filled my one post per year quota. Yay.

=sw=warlord
November 23rd, 2013, 06:58 AM
Bit late to the party on this one but I noticed trdef supports Halo and Halo 2 Vista (Surprisingly!) as it does support a multitude of other games.
I might have to re-install Halo and try it out.