PDA

View Full Version : A True Halo 2 Graphic Comparison

Snaver
June 5th, 2007, 08:10 PM
You guys remember the Gamespot article (http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6169711/index.html) on H2V's graphics right? Anyone else think it was rather biased?

Judge for yourself. (http://halo.snaver.net/modding/h2v/graphics_comparison.php)

megaxp
June 5th, 2007, 08:12 PM
old news

Snaver
June 5th, 2007, 08:15 PM
old news

What?..

Roostervier
June 5th, 2007, 08:23 PM
old news
I think you misunderstood... he made his own comparison, and a good one at that. Good job Snave.

randreach454
June 5th, 2007, 08:29 PM
all the images just say NO U! for me.. :-(

Syuusuke
June 5th, 2007, 08:30 PM
What's up with the "No, U!"...I can't roll over those images...

oh they DID decrease the FOV :/

Snowy
June 5th, 2007, 08:30 PM
I don't see the images :S

edit
Ok now I see them... but it's hard to make judgments because of the jpg compression. They need to be un-compressed .png files.

Snaver
June 5th, 2007, 08:31 PM
rofl.. my bad, was messing with .htaccess :X Sorry guys, back up now.

MrUncool
June 5th, 2007, 08:39 PM
I think H2V really only looks better when I turn AF to 16x...textures, although lo-res, look a lot less blurry. And the water looks better, and some of the building/wall textures.

Snowy
June 5th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Yeah, AF has to be turned on, otherwise textures will look the same 5 feet away, both on the PC and on the consoles because it will "blur". But I guess it's ok no to have it on, because I believe it's not a direct option in H2V. (You have to enable it through your graphic's control center)

p0lar_bear
June 6th, 2007, 12:34 AM
oh they DID decrease the FOV :/

It's reasonable. While Halo 2 XBox's player FOV is 90 degrees, keep in mind that not all 90 of those degrees are visible. Most TVs crop out a bit of the image on all sides. The same thing occured with Halo 1.

And great comparison, Snave. Very well detailed.

DOMINATOR
June 6th, 2007, 12:53 AM
It's reasonable. While Halo 2 XBox's player FOV is 90 degrees, keep in mind that not all 90 of those degrees are visible. Most TVs crop out a bit of the image on all sides. The same thing occured with Halo 1.

And great comparison, Snave. Very well detailed.

No...

HALO 1
Fullscreen: 65 degrees
Splitscreen: 102 degrees

HALO 2
Fullscreen: 60 degrees
Splitscreen: 70 degrees

most PC games have an option to change the FOV halo doesnt and it's annoying

ExAm
June 6th, 2007, 01:14 AM
They STILL didn't fix the Marine's face in that shot!?

legionaire45
June 6th, 2007, 02:40 AM
No...

HALO 1
Fullscreen: 65 degrees
Splitscreen: 102 degrees

HALO 2
Fullscreen: 60 degrees
Splitscreen: 70 degrees

most PC games have an option to change the FOV halo doesnt and it's annoying
I'm pretty confident the stock fullscreen FoV for both games was 90 degrees considering that is the ideal aspect ratio for a 4:3 monitor. I imagine it only changed it in 16:9 modes if the xbox even supports that.

And you can change the FoV using Bitterbanana's FoV Hack.

SuperSunny
June 6th, 2007, 04:54 AM
I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure the FOV is 70, as listed in biped tags?

Aeron
June 6th, 2007, 10:46 AM
good comparison, why the hell did they DECREASE the FOV, thats the oposite of what they should have done, after all were not sitting on a couch a good few feet away on a big tv, pc gamers sit alot closer, that really doesnt make sense to me

Roostervier
June 6th, 2007, 10:54 AM
good comparison, why the hell did they DECREASE the FOV, thats the oposite of what they should have done, after all were not sitting on a couch a good few feet away on a big tv, pc gamers sit alot closer, that really doesnt make sense to me
How do you know they decreased it? Just because the picture is zoomed in more? IMO bad assumption, it is still 70, like Halo for the PC. Quit freaking out over what you do not yet have knowledge of, k?

p0lar_bear
June 6th, 2007, 12:16 PM
If you look at an XBox screencap of Halo 1, and then compare it to a PC screenshot, you'll notice that you can see more of the FP arms in the XBox screencap.

It makes perfect sense, did you read my post? Normal televisions crop out the outer edge of the XBox's image. Ergo, you see only about 70 degrees of your FOV.

Zeph
June 6th, 2007, 12:57 PM
why is the field of view lower in H2V than H2X?

Roostervier
June 6th, 2007, 01:02 PM
If you look at an XBox screencap of Halo 1, and then compare it to a PC screenshot, you'll notice that you can see more of the FP arms in the XBox screencap.

It makes perfect sense, did you read my post? Normal televisions crop out the outer edge of the XBox's image. Ergo, you see only about 70 degrees of your FOV.
I can't notice much more, and 70 degrees looks the same to me for both. So, in a sense, it is the same, though the H2X version is really 90, you only see ± 70. Either way, it is the same as Halo PC, so people don't have to whine about it so much.

Limited
June 6th, 2007, 01:44 PM
I actually like the metroploics on xbox ALOT better. I dunno its got that kinda brown tone on everything, which is what I like and what I though gave character to halo 2. Now its just all DETAIL DETAIL DETAIL. I'd I had a choice to have halo 2xbox graphics, but play the actual game or pc, or h2v gfx. I'd pick halo 2 xbox on a pc.

TheGhost
June 6th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Okay, but your comparison pics are at like 800x600. If I take a 400x300 screen produced by my XBox and blow it up to 1920x1200 like I'm running on Vista, you can't even begin to compare how much better quality the PC version is.

Lightning
June 6th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Yes, but the Xbox resolution is only 640x480... oo;

Syuusuke
June 6th, 2007, 05:57 PM
And you can change the FoV using Bitterbanana's FoV Hack.

You're referring to the FOV in Halo PC are you.