PDA

View Full Version : multiple computer question...

StankBacon
June 7th, 2007, 06:39 AM
i cant seem to find (or get) a straight answer about this...

my bro has h2v on his pc, activated and everything.

can i install the game on my pc, using and activating the same key? (so long as we dont play at the same time)

i really want to see how this game plays on my pc, since my specs are considerably better than his.

(or some kind soul can donate me 20 bucks to get my own copy) :D

Roostervier
June 7th, 2007, 08:46 AM
I am pretty sure you guys can use the same key with a different Live account at the same time. I just would hope one of you doesn't get banned and ruins it for both of you D:

StankBacon
June 7th, 2007, 09:21 AM
can anyone confirm this?

i love how the h2v devs up and vanished.

:p

InnerGoat
June 7th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Install and don't activate it. You can play the whole SP still. ;P

soccerbummer1104
June 7th, 2007, 09:39 AM
yes u can. i have done it and i work justfine. once the game is activated, you dont need to use the cd either and for some reason ms didnt build in a security feature to check keys, and you could(not supposed to but i was wondering, so i tried it out, and it works) play your brother in the same server.

et_cg
June 7th, 2007, 12:29 PM
I wouldn't get too gutsy with that. Because chances are you may get banned.

VanHelsing
June 7th, 2007, 09:05 PM
My understanding is that you get 2 (or 3 depending on who you ask) installs per key. I also believe that LIVE makes sure that each key is not used by more than 1 person at a time online.

That said, you could install the game on your machine, and not activate, which would allow you to play Cairo Station. (Basically the game is in demo mode.) Or you could activate on both machines, and make sure that you only have one of them online at a time.

Melterx12
June 7th, 2007, 09:07 PM
You can install on multiple computers, however they have to use the same Live Account that the first install used (if you installed on his gamertag's account, you will need to use his account to play.)

VanHelsing
June 7th, 2007, 09:13 PM
They don't have to use the same LIVE account. You can use as many gamertags per install as you want.

StankBacon
June 7th, 2007, 09:33 PM
ahh im so confused!

InnerGoat
June 7th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Just install and use his Live account if its bothering you. :-3

StankBacon
June 7th, 2007, 10:26 PM
but im still not sure...

if i activate, will it deactivate his?

why cant a h2v dev give some input on this :S

Lightning
June 7th, 2007, 11:09 PM
You can install it on 2 at once, for sure.

And no, it won't "deactivate"

StankBacon
June 7th, 2007, 11:42 PM
:O

so i read a post on the halo 2 forums that said you can install twice only, and then your key is garbage... (unless you call ms and beg)

but phopo said thats 2 different pcs...

can you reinstall on the same machine as many times as you want?

im asking because i don't wanna take my lil bros only other install opportunity and screw him if he needs to reformat sometime down the road.

et_cg
June 8th, 2007, 02:53 PM
but im still not sure...

if i activate, will it deactivate his?

why cant a h2v dev give some input on this :S

Because all the dev's work for Microsoft.

VanHelsing
June 8th, 2007, 11:21 PM
You won't deactivate his copy. You will burn the second install. He can still reinstall on his machine (so long as he doesn't change the config on it too much... same rules as with reinstalling Vista.)