PDA

View Full Version : "triangle outside bsp"

donteatthefish
June 20th, 2007, 06:23 PM
well this is my 3rd time making a map(still looks simple). and i have tried to create bases before and it will give me this error, so i just created a level without them. but i decided to add some bases again, so i drew a box in 3dsmax added a door and window, duplicated it(2 bases) and positioned them on the big box of my level, then i attached them to the level to simplify things. did a bunch of other stuff(texturing etc) and exported it. now when i compile it, the command prompt just spits out 2 things over and over again, they are:

### WARNING triangle outside bsp
### WARNING Triangle thrown outside bsp

and once its done compiling i open sapien and where my bases are it shows red with text(overlapping the same one over and over) this lags up sapien becuase it had that same error about 50 times.

anyone know how to fix it

DOMINATOR
June 20th, 2007, 06:33 PM
has to be a sealed world. bases have to be welded to the mesh with no holes.
edit: actually i dont know... i thought this was the haloCE section. sry

donteatthefish
June 20th, 2007, 06:38 PM
still sounds like my problem, maybe the bases are overlapping the level mesh, even in the smallest way.

FireScythe
June 20th, 2007, 06:39 PM
That error means that there is a triangle completely outside of the sealed BSP and it has been removed. Just make sure you delete faces that are outside the BSP. I get the error-slowdown in h2sapien as well, anyone know of a way to turn it off?

Zeph
June 20th, 2007, 06:52 PM
I get the error-slowdown in h2sapien as well, anyone know of a way to turn it off?

Fix your errors.

donteatthefish
June 20th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Fix your errors.

haha, yeah....

so what FireScythe is saying just means that i move the bases so they are hovering slightly above the ground, and there will be no errors?

Con
June 20th, 2007, 08:09 PM
well thar's yer problem! You can't just stick shapes together like legos in 3ds max. You can't have seperate objects; it needs to be one continuous surface that covers the entire level.

so you have to move up your base, delete the faces on the bottom of it, delete the faces on the ground under the base, then create more faces that would weld the open edges together.

randreach454
June 20th, 2007, 09:23 PM
That error means that there is a triangle completely outside of the sealed BSP and it has been removed. Just make sure you delete faces that are outside the BSP. I get the error-slowdown in h2sapien as well, anyone know of a way to turn it off?
in your game window just hit the tilde key (`)
then type error_geometry_hide_all and hit enter then BAM no more showing errors or slowdown!

SuperSunny
June 20th, 2007, 09:36 PM
well thar's yer problem! You can't just stick shapes together like legos in 3ds max. You can't have seperate objects; it needs to be one continuous surface that covers the entire level.

so you have to move up your base, delete the faces on the bottom of it, delete the faces on the ground under the base, then create more faces that would weld the open edges together.

I'm not going to argue, but technically you can stick them like lego pieces. You just get errors, and if you are lucky, holes. Works mad good for instanced geometry though, as they were designed to be like lego pieces.

donteatthefish
June 20th, 2007, 10:13 PM
in your game window just hit the tilde key (`)
then type error_geometry_hide_all and hit enter then BAM no more showing errors or slowdown!

wow, that you, this helps soo much.

edit: unfortunatly since i have errors in my map it wont allow me to play the map, i can package it but i cant play it, it just says "game over" once i start.

SuperSunny
June 20th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Errors should not cause that. I have SO many errors in my map, but it works fine. Check your spawn points.

donteatthefish
June 21st, 2007, 12:53 AM
your right, and it was just ctf(bad spawn points???) i made spawn and returns for both red and blue(do i need to make more?) anyway and yeah those errors in my base just killed people when they enter, lol

Oxygen
June 21st, 2007, 08:37 AM
just a reminder:

triangles outside bsp could also be a simple vert or 2 that was left behind when creating your map. it's not always an actual face...or at least, it was that way for me.

=Oxy

randreach454
June 21st, 2007, 09:25 AM
wow, that you, this helps soo much.
your most very welcome