PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to OPEN pre-existing map files?

Vdrake77
June 22nd, 2007, 05:35 AM
I've been fiddling with the map editor to no avail, and I've browsed this forum for a bit without finding an answer...

I'm just looking for a way to open a pre-existing .map file and edit/change content.

Also, has anyone found a way to edit single player yet? I'd like to add the 'cattle rifle' to the arsenal ((Or replace something else with it)) just for giggles. Blowing stuff up is always fun.

Forgive for what's probably a fairly noobish post, please.

Kalub
June 22nd, 2007, 06:04 AM
Nope. Please create your own content and do not try to edit/rip others work without their permission....

Just make your own stuff man, its far more rewarding.

Vdrake77
June 22nd, 2007, 06:29 AM
Honestly, I was asking more for the single-player aspects. Y'know, just to add a bit of extra fun. I remember having a blast with the time freeze hack in Halo 1... Particularly the needler.

I don't intend to rip/steal anyone's work, this is just for my own amusement, and maybe a few of my buddies who are soon to get the game. None of us know anything about modeling, but I can generally putter my way through basic features...

However, thanks greatly for the quick response!

jahrain
June 22nd, 2007, 07:00 AM
You will have to wait until tag extractors are made to decompile the maps into their source format.

Phyltre
June 24th, 2007, 11:17 PM
How long does that usually take?

jahrain
June 24th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Took steelix over a year or so to complete the Halo CE tag converter. But the tag formats for h2 are pretty similar in the .map files as they are in the source formats so it might be a hell of allot easier. It doesn't require byte swapping like in h1, but just swapping around the structure of the data blocks from direct access to sequential access and adding on the tag header for many different types of tags. I haven't look much into the map tag structures for h2v yet so I'm not sure, but i'm assuming it's similar to halo 2 xbox. Give it a few months before someone posts progress on a tag converter for h2. I plan to look into building one myself once I figure out more about h2 guerrilla tag structures.

TheGhost
June 25th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Sooner than you think.

Kornman00
June 25th, 2007, 12:35 AM
But the tag formats for h2 are pretty similar in the .map files as they are in the source formats so it might be a hell of allot easier.
That is whar u r wrong lawl.

Snaver
June 25th, 2007, 07:27 AM
I remember byte swapping compiled tags back to source tags, for just meta data anyway.. good times :p

jahrain
June 25th, 2007, 09:01 AM
That is whar u r wrong lawl.
I meant similar as in not byte swapped :P

Vdrake77
June 25th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Sooner than you think.

My, I do believe I like the sound of that. :D

Here's hoping! Nothing keeps a game alive like being able to tweak the living heck out of it!