PDA

View Full Version : WIP Does it have potential?

CDFraser9
July 3rd, 2007, 10:45 PM
Hello, I have been working on this map over the past few days, and I was wondering if you guys think this map could have potential.

It is a map with four separate rooms with teleporters that all go to one central teleporter in the main room of the level. The other way to get in the main area is an air lift, and next to the airlift is a place to fall down into the base. In the main room there are four little mini-bases which will have a turret on each. There is a central structure where the teleporter exit will be on top. So if you go through the teleporters, you will probably killed by someone on a turret. I know it is all one texture, and I am still working on textures. I am still working on an overall theme and a name for this map. Suggestions would be great. I know this will be flamed, but please keep it to a minimum. Thank you.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x92/CDFraser9/00012.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x92/CDFraser9/00014.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x92/CDFraser9/00013.jpg

-Fraser

Elite Killa
July 3rd, 2007, 10:50 PM
Looks like a box to me. Maybe changing the layout?

CDFraser9
July 3rd, 2007, 10:52 PM
Looks like a box to me. Maybe changing the layout?

Yeah, I know I am still working on it, but do you think the concept of it is good?

Sever
July 3rd, 2007, 10:59 PM
Not to be harsh or anything, but i see no concept YET. At least you have it in-game, so you're a few steps ahead of me in some ways, but I'm not seeing anything that even sparks my interest.

et_cg
July 4th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Oh yeah, you're cool.

Is there instancing happening? That be horrible if that housing structure was actually a part of the bsp... I mean it's h2, be lazy!

CDFraser9
July 4th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Oh yeah, you're cool.

Is there instancing happening? That be horrible if that housing structure was actually a part of the bsp... I mean it's h2, be lazy!

I know, I know. I just started working on it by making it into a canyon with the rooms as underground tunnels. This was just a basic simple concept.

et_cg
July 4th, 2007, 12:31 AM
I know, I know. I just started working on it by making it into a canyon with the rooms as underground tunnels. This was just a basic simple concept.

Well keep it up, there's good things to come out of anyone who tries, lol.

Dr Dmoney
July 4th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Needs textures and if a rock wall you could have something!

DaneO'Roo
July 4th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Oh yeah, you're cool.

You shouldn't be telling people to be lazy, and giving them poor judgment. Everyone should do as best of a project as they can.

Also, this map currently has 0 potential. You shoudln't work on something for a few days and expect so. Make it have potential.

et_cg
July 4th, 2007, 05:54 PM
You shouldn't be telling people to be lazy, and giving them poor judgment. Everyone should do as best of a project as they can.

Also, this map currently has 0 potential. You shoudln't work on something for a few days and expect so. Make it have potential.

Being in a joking manner, it's okay, hence my exclamation of it. I won't critique what you have said to me, as I see you just felt like doing so to me.

Any map has potential. It's whether or not the person has the absolute perserverance to do so.

teh lag
July 4th, 2007, 05:56 PM
This COULD have potential, but as of right now it's just a few structures (?) in a box. Make some plans for the layout and design, if not that then just the aesthetic feel. Without those you will not get anywhere. I'd say thatt his isn't to the point where you'd be showing it - just develop the layout, what palette of details you're going to use, what kind of key points in the map you want... anything that will give it form. This looks like what I'd have within maybe, the first hour of fooling around. Develop it more, and ti could become something.

et_cg
July 4th, 2007, 05:59 PM
This COULD have potential, but as of right now it's just a few structures (?) in a box... then just the aesthetic feel... just develop the layout... palette... details you're going to use... key points in the map... anything that will give it form... and ti could become something.

Those are good points, lag. At least you see it too.

Once again, this is just a map that could use some pointers!

Use instancing, and sealed world rules to your advantage. Yes, it does look like something that everyone starts off with, so take it from there! I wish you good luck with this map. If you work at it, there's only good to become of it.

Leiukemia
July 4th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Try to think up some sort of style you'd like. Just, a general shape or feel to the structures. Something with no relation to a cardboard box, lol. Once you get just a style in your head, you'll be able to better use it throughout the map. Rather then just randomly extruding or building as it comes to your head. Do some planning, think about gameplay, drink some beers if you need to :P

TeeKup
July 4th, 2007, 06:37 PM
The moment I saw the first pic, I was sipping my soda. I choked.

I think you need a better design, cause right now this map has no potential.

CDFraser9
July 4th, 2007, 07:44 PM
I am starting over, my idea is a canyon type map with the same kind of concept. Four bases lead off from a main area with teleporters that go to the center, and four mini bases in the main area. I started working on it and ill post with any good improvements, suggestions still welcome.

-Fraser

Patrickssj6
July 4th, 2007, 08:29 PM
WIP Does it have potential?
Add a Poll and don't forget to add the option "no"

Meh...bland..nothing really special.

flibitijibibo
July 5th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Increase the size of the entire map, increase the distances between the bases, and maybe put some other structures in between and this could be really awesome. Reminds me of Wizard...

CDFraser9
July 5th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Thanks, but those arent the bases, just structures, and I have moved them. On each wall there is a hole that drops down to each base and there pretty big bases. Also I have a new theme of it.

Rob Oplawar
July 5th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I feel your pain, fraser. whenever I make an untextured boxy layout test, the only feedback I ever get is "that's untextured and boxy! I don't like it."

That said, there really isn't a lot to see in the pictures you posted- instead of posting ingame shots of that, you should post 3DS renders of it that let you see the whole layout (imo). Don't forget to include scale references in the renders.

And like Dano said, it doesn't inherently have potential, you give it potential.

I haven't seen you before, so welcome to the forums =)

<ot>
dude, we should have a jedi style heirarchy of modelers here. fraser would be a padawan, do i count as a knight yet?, and snaf is definitely a master. that means snaf has to adopt a padawan soon.
</ot>