PDA

View Full Version : Scythopolis

Rob Oplawar
July 10th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Guess who!

No more beating around the bush, here it is:

http://argo.spacebrick.net

I have gathered you all here today to make a special announcement that officially and way too subtly went out on July 7th: Bridge CE (http://www.h2ek.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bridge_Vista) (or Bridge Vista, if you prefer) (which you will remember is the working title of a project) is producing a single player map (which you already knew) which shall be titled:

SCYTHOPOLIS

I won't post anything else here, because I want you all to check out the new website.
The subdomain Argo has to do with the story and also that scythopolis is too hard to spell as a url, and spacebrick.net just happens to be the domain name I own because I'm too cheap and lazy to get another domain.

So, you can use the shitty Spacebrick.net forum which is more of a php sandbox for myself, or you can post in this thread to tell me what you think. Also feel free to tell me that the room in the screenshot on the news page is 1500 polygons too high, cause it is.

Bad Waffle
July 10th, 2007, 08:39 PM
a polygon is not a legal measurement of distance :v

Rob Oplawar
July 10th, 2007, 08:49 PM
^ as in, 1500 too many. I'm afraid the room will be a framerate killer if I'm not careful. Then again, idk what Halo 2 Vista can handle, or how the scenery vs bipeds vs bsp will balance.

randreach454
July 10th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I think 1500 will be fine if you portal the level ok..

scythopolis archaeologist
July 11th, 2007, 12:14 PM
My friend, with all the other goings on at the moment, it looks like

nobody cares.

You should quit wasting your time on this. Epoch is doomed anyway.

Stealth
July 11th, 2007, 12:20 PM
S.A. I care, and I bet there are others that care, just because no one posts here doesn't mean they care.

jahrain
July 11th, 2007, 01:30 PM
The distance from my room to the kitchen is roughly 1200 polygons, seriously.

TeeKup
July 11th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Exact portals can have 50,000 polygons or more per "portal box" and still have a good framerate. I know I did.

1500 will be fine.

Bad Waffle
July 11th, 2007, 02:41 PM
My friend, with all the other goings on at the moment, it looks like

nobody cares.

You should quit wasting your time on this. Epoch is doomed anyway.

stfu, this is a good project.

Oh btw teekie, next time you should read that its OVER 1500 tri, making it something like 51500 tri.

Rob Oplawar
July 11th, 2007, 02:50 PM
So the room is 26,500 polys (1500 over my limit, and it's still got detail to be added). I don't want my map to require an 8800 to run. I want the typical Vista pc to be able to play it, and in my tests on my low-end target, I came up with a limit of 15-20k polys, but if I portal the room right, you guys are right, I should be fine. It's just that every time I set a limit, I set it above what I think is reasonable and tell myself this is the absolute unbreakable limit and I end up breaking it by a couple k. I annoy myself.

If you wonder where the 15-20k comes from, keep in mind that that's also 15-20k of Havoc physics collision, covered in up to 10 1024x1024 normal mapped textures with up to 25 bipeds per scene and more than that many scenery objects per scene (often featuring layers of transparency), not to mention the scattered dynamic lights I'll be using. The scenery, biped, and texture level of detail can be turned down, but the bsp lod cannot.

Funny thing tho, I never did get exact portals to work for me. I tried for a day or so and in the interest of time just made do with regular portals, and I just realized I never went back to that. I really ought to consider looking into exacts again.

July 11th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Aw shucks you guys I'm only teasin him. Bringing one's spirit back from the grave makes one moody.

Stealth
July 11th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Aman to that, but then again any spirit in my grave causes me to be alittle be moody. and Rob, I do hope that when you're done, it looks cool.

samnwck
July 12th, 2007, 01:55 PM
I always thought rob's project was cool, i kinda forgot about it for a while but im interested again. Is it still gonna be single player if they figure out how to make it sp in h2v?

July 12th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Would he put up with me if it wasn't?

et_cg
July 14th, 2007, 03:34 AM
Would he put up with me if it wasn't?

Has anybody figured out what the purpose of this user is? Fake? Or is it real Viral advertising?

Good going so far on the project.

Zeph
July 14th, 2007, 04:01 AM
congrats on the launch, but your forum hurts my eyes.

Rob Oplawar
July 14th, 2007, 11:37 AM
^ Lol yeah it's just a php toy. it was never meant to be used by anyone.

July 14th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Has anybody figured out what the purpose of this user is? Fake? Or is it real Viral advertising?

Good going so far on the project.

What are you saying, that I'm not real? Well, I suppose that's what I would think of someone claiming to have died in 2530.

et_cg
July 14th, 2007, 05:32 PM
What are you saying, that I'm not real? Well, I suppose that's what I would think of someone claiming to have died in 2530.

Well, I believe you exist.

Fictionally, and non-fictionally.

I won't judge you.

Flyboy
July 14th, 2007, 05:46 PM
I've been waiting for something like this.

Rob Oplawar
July 15th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Can't is such a strong word... I will find a way. I know it is possible, and there are some terrific, er, what would you call them, hackers? in this community and I know they will figure it out- BUT I'm not counting on someone to get it for me, so I will figure it out on my own if need be.

And the "impossibility" of making custom sp maps will just make Scythopolis just that much more unique.

Flyboy
July 15th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Now, if you just happen to pull this off, don't be like CMT and keep the ability to make SP all to yourself (I bet they would). Share it.

teh lag
July 15th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Now, if you just happen to pull this off, don't be like CMT and keep the ability to make SP all to yourself (I bet they would). Share it.

Please don't crap up this thread with another cmt shitfight.

Masterz1337
July 15th, 2007, 08:24 PM
I wasn't aware that we did SP in H2V. Nor we withheld SP modding tools from the rest of the community.

Chewy Gumball
July 16th, 2007, 02:01 AM
I don't think user made portals affect what is drawn on screen. I seem to remember something saying havoc makes that unnecessary and user made portals are for things like weather and sound environments and things like that.

Flyboy
July 16th, 2007, 03:01 AM
I wasn't aware that we did SP in H2V. Nor we withheld SP modding tools from the rest of the community.
Based on all your poorly locked content, it make sense that I would worry about if you guys got it first. Yes I know it's to keep the tags away from noobs, but still.

teh lag
July 16th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Based on all your poorly locked content, it make sense that I would worry about if you guys got it first. Yes I know it's to keep the tags away from noobs, but still.

We would not hold back anything that would advance modding on a scale like that. Who remembers when Masterz willingly released maps with the ripped h2 tagset for people to learn from? (Much like ignorant brats want us to do with the current tagset, though the only people who want it will be no better off with this than with the old tagset.) Who remembers when Masterz was part of the group advocating for the release of the tag extractor (known now as the HEK+)? If we withold something of that scale, it would be for reasons outside of our control, such as the person who unlocked it not wanting it released due to incompleteness or potential abuse. (See: tag extraction and shitty boxmaps undeserving of the content in them). Also, what does "poorly locked content" whave anything to do with this? We don't publically release our content because of mapmakers that throw it in and assume that thier maps will now be awesome. What's this "but still"? Are you realizing your argument is coming apart? That we wouldn't hold SP back? If you wish to continue this, please take it to PMs with us. This thread doesn't need to be derailed further.

Rob Oplawar
July 16th, 2007, 09:26 AM
To sort of save the thread, I'll say that after I finish Scythopolis, I'll spend a couple of weeks putting together a detailed tutorial for SP creation in Vista. I'm gonna find a way to do it one way or another, even if it means saving it as, what's the h2v name of Cairo, space_station.map?

et_cg
July 18th, 2007, 01:44 AM
To sort of save the thread, I'll say that after I finish Scythopolis, I'll spend a couple of weeks putting together a detailed tutorial for SP creation in Vista. I'm gonna find a way to do it one way or another, even if it means saving it as, what's the h2v name of Cairo, space_station.map?

Indeed. But it will take much work to get it through. Hopefully Korn's tools, or Prom will provide hope for such matters. Good luck.

Flyboy
July 18th, 2007, 01:46 AM
Or that Select + Start thing in sapien.