PDA

View Full Version : [WIP] Nightfall

Con
August 7th, 2007, 01:30 PM
You're probably all wondering what happened to Valhalla and why I'm working on this map instead. Well, this map is just for learning the H2EK a bit more and what I can do with it. Valhalla is by no means canceled or forgotten. This map, Nightfall, came when I felt like learning a bit more about the H2EK and making an original map. When I had my Gold trial, I loved the co-op gametype Zombies (http://www.h2ek.com/wiki/index.php?title=Zombies). Seeing as the only few maps being played for Zombies were Foundation and District, I wanted to make my own Zombies map. I got the idea for Nightfall and started sketching it out on some paper, working out gameplay stuff.

Nightfall is an asymmetrical UNSC storage facility that was stripped of everything useful when the war began with the covenant. The map is really too small for warthogs, so I've included just one ghost per side. All the features in the map in a relatively small area should really make for some fast-paced gameplay, I think it should be fun for any gametype as long as there aren't too many people. I'd guess this map plays well for around 4-12 people in team games, 2-10 in FFA.

Along with creating an original map, I wanted to create an original sky for the map. I was browsing around the tags and came across the cubemap for the sky in the old New Mombasa, the one seen in the E3 trailer that got scrapped. I really liked the look of it, especially the sunset, which inspired me to create a custom sky for Nightfall. Unfortunately, none of the render_models of the provided skies were suitable for my bitmap (most were domes with different UV's). I had to make a big cylinder around my level to put my sky on, but it seems this has caused too many problems and I can't package the level now. The custom sky has been ditched for now until I can make a real one.

Here are some pics from sapien:

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/6530/capturezs0.png

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/6479/capture2pl7.png

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/8897/capture3na0.png

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/484/capture5vw2.png

Thoughts and suggestions?

Skyline
August 7th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Nice. The tunnel there could be more then just a box [] (second picture; the further one).

Tweek
August 7th, 2007, 01:33 PM
needs more pics
send me your file. i want to have a looksie

Patrickssj6
August 7th, 2007, 01:40 PM
I think it looks very nice! :)

Tweek
August 7th, 2007, 02:28 PM
looked at the file, i love the way you have the tunnels laid out.
good interior, i like. should turn out to be a really good small map!

Boba
August 7th, 2007, 02:43 PM
I bet Geomar would play good with Zombies too, ;p. Anyway, looks nice. :o

Zeph
August 7th, 2007, 03:37 PM
needs a sky without seams

Bastinka
August 7th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Zeph makes a good point, then again no-one in game will be like 'omg theres a seam, lets not play this map.' So it's not that important, I think Calm before the storm fits this map as a better title. Doesn't really look like nightfall.

Tweek
August 7th, 2007, 04:50 PM
you care, i can see it, i CAN SMELL IT!! YOU CARE!

Bastinka
August 7th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Me? :X

DaneO'Roo
August 7th, 2007, 05:26 PM
I do believe Con's going to fix that sky :/

Awesome work connie :d

Con
August 7th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Nice. The tunnel there could be more then just a box [] (second picture; the further one).
It was intentionally made like that. That square shape is only for entrance to the tunnel, everything else underground is a lot nicer. I wanted the underground hallway to have a sort of bunker feel, with little access shafts connected to it.

needs a sky without seams
The sky is actually seamless, it's just that max fucked it up when I tried cutting edges to give the sky cylinder a bit more shape. Maya ftw. It's not there anymore anyway, I need to wait for Jahrain's tutorial on custom skies with new render_models for H2V.

I think Calm before the storm fits this map as a better title. Doesn't really look like nightfall.
Too long, and nightfall makes total sense. The sun has just set. If you guys can think of a better name, that's fine, just not too long.

Stealth
August 7th, 2007, 06:07 PM
oh, nice looking map, and nice idea con, maybe it'll work well with my "Ghost" Game type. :p

Rob Oplawar
August 7th, 2007, 06:15 PM
The textures are too bland.

lol jk jk. Srsly tho I'd love to see it textured, but focus on the layout and gameplay first and foremost. Looks intriguing, but we won't know until we play it. Alpha mbmb?

Con
August 7th, 2007, 06:19 PM
yeah, I've left it untextured for that reason, to test gameplay and make any changes I need to. I've only tested it with Lightning so far, but it played fine for us.

et_cg
August 8th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Well, it looks great so far, Con. And I do hope your problems do sort out (custom sky).

Pooky
August 8th, 2007, 02:42 AM
Is there a slightly darker Halo 2 skybox? That one doesn't work too well =\

Other than that nice job

et_cg
August 8th, 2007, 03:28 AM
We were given:

Ascension
Zanzibar
Midship

Sadly, those are the worst map skyboxes for tons of different ideas.

(forgive me if I missed some, not really all here right now)

spookers622
August 8th, 2007, 08:35 AM
that kinda of reminds me of the map i as working on... well i hope nobody thinks i copied you or anything cuz i have posts with it since a month ago

EDIT: it may not loo the same in the pics but i got tunnel entrances in same place and was thinking about putting a bridge type thing in the middle... i hope the design doesnt turn out to much like yours cuz i dont wanna be accused of not thinking of my own map...

EDIT AGAIN: although, i was thinking of a DESERT at night, but im sure sure if that makes too much sense with my underground cave being there...oh ya, and mine has bases made by me:)

Roostervier
August 8th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Oh hai, :awesome:.

I was wondering when this map was going to pop up with its own topic when you showed me the model. Great job so far!

Con
August 8th, 2007, 11:17 PM
I have an update for you guys, but it's information only; no pictures. Sorry, don't boo me off the stage just yet. I've been trying another method of getting my sky ingame, where I use jahrain's gbxmodel upgrader and get some shifty anonymous street people to edit a few scenery related tags to reference the new render_model with their secret programs. This works alright except that jahrain's app messes up my UV's and makes the sky look like it has a seam. It cuts off about 1/6th of the texture's width at the original place where the two edges of my texture meet :saddowns:. I've PM'd jahrain about the problem, maybe he can help. Until then, I think I'll work on other projects.

Roostervier
August 9th, 2007, 08:54 AM
If I had my old computer up and running I could've helped you with that... D:

Also, I had found, when I got my model in sapien, that the UVs are messed up no matter what. I am pretty sure jahrain told me either the x or y is half of what it should be (in scale), or something.

Tweek
August 9th, 2007, 09:20 AM
because your skybox wont work?

quitter!

Con
August 9th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Quitter? You'll say otherwise tomorrow morning.

.:mad:
<|>
./'\

Tweek
August 9th, 2007, 06:23 PM
is that a sexual reference? :awesome:

TeeKup
August 9th, 2007, 06:43 PM
is that a sexual reference? :awesome:

I honestly can't tell. I'm sure all of us want con in bed so we can use him for his skinning capabilities. Come to my house you hack!

Con
August 29th, 2007, 11:17 PM
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/3483/captureze0.png
what

Ki11a_FTW
August 29th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Wow thats looking great, added rep

EDIT: "you must spread reputation before giving it to conscars again"

damn this rep system

Con
August 29th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Yeah, the map is called Frostbite now so :awesome:

Stealth
August 30th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Ice, sounds like fun, as long as there is no vehicles but ghosts, but then again, zombie is no fun with vehicles.

Ki11a_FTW
August 30th, 2007, 12:05 AM
I wonder if it would play better with a trans hog

Stealth
August 30th, 2007, 12:12 AM
=_= I don't think so.
Warthogs + ice = fail
if you add in the zombie gametype.
Humans in Warthogs + Ice + zombies = failer game of zombie/super game of Halo 2 bowling.

Con
August 30th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Stealth, where did I say anything about ice? ffs..

Warthogs won't be going into the map, only a ghost for each team. Zombies isn't played with vehicles anyway.

Tweek
August 30th, 2007, 04:35 AM
the ice on th bridge fails :< you'd best be off modelling some icicles.

Con
August 30th, 2007, 09:50 AM
yeah I know the icicles fail, working on them now :(

Stealth
August 30th, 2007, 05:50 PM
that'd be cool, to have icicles that fall on people.

Con
August 30th, 2007, 06:33 PM
what do you think this is, waterworks or something? ;p

Ki11a_FTW
August 30th, 2007, 10:46 PM
that'd be cool, to have icicles that fall on people.

Conscars, contact the ghost ;)

Con
September 24th, 2007, 12:01 AM
omg h8 h8:

Don't mind the patchy black wall or the black spots on the ground. Those have been fixed. What I really need help with is that retarded blackness that appears on one side of the ground. I played around with the shaders, they seem to be irrelevant. See how the floor on that structure is all black? The shader is done correctly, but only some parts of it are lit. This lead to me to beleive it was a lightmaps problem, but I've recompiled and re-lit the level about 5 times now. Anyone have any ideas?

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/9656/captureom2.png

as you can see, I've got a murphs problem...the little halo gnomes that screw with your work when you're not looking and cause problems that make no sense.

Sever
September 24th, 2007, 08:04 AM
How did you make the floor? (Spline mapping, Plane mapping, etc.) I have seen some funky stuff like that in gmax before, and it's not cool. If it is what I think it is, you either have verticies of a plane crossing over each other, or verticies of a spline triangulating to each other, that shouldn't. Unless its something completely different, and caused by HEK errors, which I have no idea about yet.

Con
September 24th, 2007, 10:20 AM
I modeled the structure and the cliffs with plane modeling, then the outside sniper base with box modeling. The ground was just filled in with triangles that fit between the two buildings and the manhole. There's no coplanar faces there or anything. I've only got two errors on my map; a few degerenate triangles inside that don't really matter because you can't see them and they don't make any difference.

Here's lightmaps on super. As you can see, there's still odd black surfaces where there shouldn't be. Some parts of the surface are lighter than other areas, or darker than they should be.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/8885/capturetf3.png

Patrickssj6
September 24th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Apply a test standard material to the entire level...if the error still occurs it's a geometry error. ;)

Con
September 24th, 2007, 10:29 AM
I didn't have the problem when there was no material there before. It must be something I did when I added on the shaders, but it makes no sense. Once I'm done doing these lightmaps, I'm gonna try applying my cliff shader to the problematic walls and see if it's truly my shaders. That'll narrow it down.

Sever
September 24th, 2007, 10:33 AM
I've seen this same thing before. Download Mothergoat's Anxiety and go to the areas under the flag bases. One of the pillars sades from the normal skin to black, just like your errors. I have no idea what causes this, but if you could look at Anxiety you might be able to figure what went wrong there.

Patrickssj6
September 24th, 2007, 10:33 AM
I didn't have the problem when there was no material there before. It must be something I did when I added on the shaders, but it makes no sense. Once I'm done doing these lightmaps, I'm gonna try applying my cliff shader to the problematic walls and see if it's truly my shaders. That'll narrow it down.
That is indeed correct, sir. :awesome:

Also, I don't have the H2EK but can we modifie lightmaps again like in the HEK? Is it still a bitmap? :D

Con
September 24th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Yes, it is. Jahrain's got an app that can let take mental-ray lighting on your level from max, and put it into your level so you don't have to use shitty halo lightmapping.

Con
September 24th, 2007, 11:20 AM
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/1780/captureil9.png

it is definitely a shader/material problem

Con
September 24th, 2007, 12:18 PM
lol triple post

this gets weirder. All I did was switch my shader back from the cliff to the pavement, and the problem seemed to fix itself...

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/6981/capturetd1.png

:wts:

Con
September 24th, 2007, 05:14 PM
more updates and quadruple post :awesome:

I fixed the wall shader, but that somehow made my road and structure floor shaders stop working. I just fixed the road shader again, look my road shader is happy:

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/4499/capturepk3.png

This randomly appeared, no joke. Methinks my map is haunted.

Stealth
September 24th, 2007, 05:32 PM
maybe, you can put that as some kind of burn mark, to hide it.

Syuusuke
September 24th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Looks like a face.

If you can't hide it, just put something that's totally immobile over it? If you can blend it with the map, of course.

Con
September 24th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Why would I hide it? He would get sad :(

Sever
September 24th, 2007, 06:31 PM
It already looks pretty sad.

Con
September 24th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Ok, I found out why it wasn't working!

I have to make sure that the bitmaps I reference in my shaders have the "UNUSED" not checked. My problematic surfaces referenced detail maps or bump maps that came with the editing kit and had "UNUSED" checked.

Skyline
September 24th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Where were you when we discovered this five months ago D:.

Syuusuke
September 24th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Ha! It WASN'T discovered 5 months ago because H2V wasn't released on April!

Sorry had to point out your exaggeration.

At least Con got rid of the face.
D: put a face in secret place

Skyline
September 24th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Yes, D: <smilie; exaggeration ftw. your right.

Syuusuke
September 24th, 2007, 07:10 PM
I didn't get that part, crossed out "right"

Con
October 8th, 2007, 01:05 AM
hay look, update

http://xs320.xs.to/xs320/07411/Capture.PNG

Bodzilla
October 8th, 2007, 01:12 AM
Everything looks a bit flat atm. how are u going for hills, gullys in and aroudn the level?

also a bit bright dont ya think?

but other then that :)

Con
October 8th, 2007, 01:19 AM
supposed to be flat, it's a storage yard + parking lot

also, supposed to be bright; it's liek the arctic srsly

Rob Oplawar
October 8th, 2007, 02:40 AM
heh, neat.

Bodzilla
October 8th, 2007, 03:51 AM
supposed to be flat, it's a storage yard + parking lot

also, supposed to be bright; it's liek the arctic srsly
ahhh k makes sense now :)

odseraphim
October 8th, 2007, 07:01 AM
I really like what you did with this map. Is there a lot of people playing on Halo 2 Vista? I'd probably be interested in porting some metroid maps over for some standard Halo gameplay.

I need to get a cd-key though :fail:

Keep up the good work, can't wait to see video of the final product.

DaneO'Roo
October 8th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Con, you can do better texture work than that I know you can. Try incorporating a little high ground influence in there. I'm just really not liking the plain flat textures on the structures.

Patrickssj6
October 8th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Holy Anti Alias, Christ.

Syuusuke
October 8th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Berry Nice!

Con
October 8th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Con, you can do better texture work than that I know you can. Try incorporating a little high ground influence in there. I'm just really not liking the plain flat textures on the structures.
yeah, i'm working on getting more texture variety. Don't you worry.

Skyline
October 8th, 2007, 10:54 AM
The beta was fun even though it was just us two, except the part where I lost badly :v.

Syuusuke
October 8th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Was that on my dedi? D:

Skyline
October 8th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Maybe.

Syuusuke
October 8th, 2007, 02:33 PM
It's your turn to make the dedi, if there is a next beta...if there is even a beta, if Connor is still alive. =D

Con
October 12th, 2007, 07:45 PM
'course I am

http://xs320.xs.to/xs320/07416/Capture.png
http://img488.imageshack.us/img488/3117/capture2sp5.png

Lots of stuff to fix still

Also, I'll be releasing ALL of the textures I made for this map once I'm finished.

Syuusuke
October 12th, 2007, 08:00 PM
If only you can make destructible scenery...can you?

Con
October 12th, 2007, 08:09 PM
For the wall right? it's probably more work than it's worth the wait. I think we can only do render_models right now, no collision. When we can get that with better UV conversion in the upgrader, then we could reference it in a modified crate tag like the fusion core.

Bodzilla
October 13th, 2007, 02:30 AM
Now thats looking alot better :)

Keep up the good work man ;)

JunkfoodMan
October 13th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Wow. Thats looks awesome.
Just that wall/cover on the top left, It seems a bit boxy.

Pooky
October 13th, 2007, 11:40 AM
I don't really see the "Nightfalll" theme... looks more like high noon. Is that because you couldn't get a custom skybox in?

Con
October 13th, 2007, 12:15 PM
I don't really see the "Nightfalll" theme... looks more like high noon. Is that because you couldn't get a custom skybox in?
Correct. It was too difficult to get the sky I painted into the map. Jahrain's gbxmodel upgrader messes with your UVs and it put ugly seams on the skybox. Having the sky as a massive part of the BSP was also causing problems.

Boba
October 13th, 2007, 12:27 PM
http://xs320.xs.to/xs320/07416/Capture.png
Looks forerunner. :x

Syuusuke
October 13th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Or some tunnel/clean sewage system?

Con
October 13th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Tunnel houses tubes, for things such as internets. also, gameplay balancing.

Syuusuke
October 13th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Make that place destructible =D So the internet dies when we destroy those tubular tubes.

Con
October 13th, 2007, 01:14 PM
You can't kill the internet http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-colbert.gif

Syuusuke
October 13th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Disable?

Con
October 13th, 2007, 03:39 PM
hay guys i got moar pics
http://xs320.xs.to/xs320/07416/Capture2.PNG
http://xs320.xs.to/xs320/07416/Capture3.PNG

Bossniak
October 13th, 2007, 03:59 PM
I want.

Looking good.

Syuusuke
October 13th, 2007, 04:15 PM
I want candy to play!

Pooky
October 13th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Make that place destructible =D So the internet dies when we destroy those tubular tubes.

it would be cool if it killed the power to something.. like maybe some lights or screens... but I doubt thats possible in h2v

Syuusuke
October 13th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Whoa that's a good idea.

Sever
October 13th, 2007, 10:19 PM
I have always had this idea for a map (any offense/defense map. really) where one team controls an intel room with many video screens showing key points of the map (and whatever is going on there at the moment), and the other team has the ability to temporarily take the system offline. Probably won't work in any current Halo game though. Maybe it could be done with HL, since 'they' got the "viewpoint A displayed at location B" to work in Portals to work.

mined
October 13th, 2007, 10:51 PM
This map is shaping up nicely. I am starting to think we may have a few great custom maps by the end of the year. Keep up the good work.

Syuusuke
October 13th, 2007, 10:54 PM
You know the sniper rifle in Halo 2?

Actually nevermind.

Sever
October 13th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Yeah, that sniper rifle in that game with the OH SO GREAT AND BOUNDLESS editing kit...

Con
October 13th, 2007, 11:56 PM
I remember someone saying that you could do that camera screen thing such as the one on the SR with a special number in the shader, then place a camera in sapien with the same number. Something along those lines..

Sever
October 14th, 2007, 12:28 AM
And could one add effects, such as a looping static overlay (much like clouds or twinkling stars) and make the image greyscale with high contrast?

Con
October 14th, 2007, 01:30 AM
I don't think you'd be able to make it greyscale, but you could have another shader just overtop of it with the static effects.

Also, regarding the recent H2V update, map shots were not fixed.

[EJ] Bean
October 14th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Were map shots not available before? (I assume you mean the map preview when selecting the map in halo 2)

Con
October 14th, 2007, 10:33 AM
At the moment, the game displays the same custom map preview even if you have a map shot set up like I do:

http://xs320.xs.to/xs320/07410/frostbite.jpg

Kornman00
October 14th, 2007, 10:38 AM
I remember someone saying that you could do that camera screen thing such as the one on the SR with a special number in the shader, then place a camera in sapien with the same number. Something along those lines..
shaders\shader_templates\texture_camera\texture_ca mera

Its how they did the view screen on In Amber Clad in that one cinematic.

stunt_man
October 15th, 2007, 12:58 AM
This map is going to be a classic... But don't forget about Valhalla! That map was coming along so well...

Con
October 15th, 2007, 07:56 PM
But don't forget about Valhalla! That map was coming along so well...
and still is :)

Pooky
October 15th, 2007, 09:22 PM
:picsorstfu:

You know, that really is a useful emote.

Con
October 15th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Yeah, it def is. Too bad though, cus you're not getting pics yet ;p

stunt_man
October 15th, 2007, 10:00 PM

Cool, just making sure...

Any idea if you're going to need beta testers? I've got a Gold account, and I'm always down for a good custom map.

No pressure...

SMASH
October 15th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Same here Conny. I'm really excited to see what these camera things are capable of. It'd be nice to have a control/ security room with cameras of the outside.

Con
October 15th, 2007, 10:25 PM
I have no clue how to place cameras and set up the shader to use it. There won't be any security screens. I don't need any more beta testers for Frostbite, but Valhalla's still fair game (I didn't mean that literally for all you nubs reading this :U). We'll see when we get to that point.

Syuusuke
October 16th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I just want to be able to play with you guys while hosting my dedi-dedi.

Con
October 21st, 2007, 12:09 AM
oshi-

http://www.h2vista.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6914