PDA

View Full Version : Vista boot issue...

kenney001
August 17th, 2007, 04:46 PM
I have a problem. I was playing around with vista, and installed Ubuntu linux on a 3rd HD from by desktop. I then removed the D and formatted it for use on another PC. Now That i know now was a terribly stupid thing to do.

So now im stuk between a rock and a hard place. I tried to boot into XP on my desktop and it says GRUB loading stage 1.5 (the linux bootloader) and it gies me an error 22 (i researched and it means the files could not be foud). So i try to boot into vista (note i did not have bootloader before, I used the bios boot menu) and i get the same thing. So i stuck in my xp disc, did a recovery, and it did nothing. I stuck in my 98 boot flopy and typed fdisk /mdr and it successfuly fixed my XP boot. Now when i tried to boot into vista it gave me Ntldr is missing. This one was obvious, so i stuck in my vista cd and did a startup recovery. It fixed the ntldr issue, but now when i try to boot onto my 2nd sata drive (the vista one) it goes through bios screen, and it gets to the screen right before it does the green loading scrolls for vista, it reboots. The only way i can get into vista is use the startup recovery disk, run startup recovery, and let it reboot into vista. This process takes about 15 minutes, and when i try to boot normally into vista it just reboots.

Anyone know how to fix this, or reload the vista boot entries? It really aggrivates me! I have tried vistaboot pro, but it uses the bootloader, which i do not want.

KIWIDOGGIE
August 17th, 2007, 08:34 PM
NOOOO NOT YOU ALSO! this is bull but i have to say it, you must format all drives and reinstall everything because i learned that the wrong way.

kenney001
August 17th, 2007, 10:36 PM
YOu see the thing is vista is still intact, just the boot files are messed up. I could install vista on another HD and copy all of the boot files to the old one.
Thank god there was almost nothing on the vista portion. I mainly do my work in XP and have ista solely for Halo 2 and BF2...

KIWIDOGGIE
August 18th, 2007, 06:53 AM
I know but with 3 hdd's you dont know what bootloader is loading and what hdd it is on. also you dont know exactly what the device(drive) numbers are so your better off spending 4-5 days trying stuff then giving up and reformatting. because my windows xp bootloader is on a harddrive that is only used for storage(no os) and the vista bootloader is on the XP drive. so if i add a drive or remove one im screwed.(im maxed out anyways)

kenney001
August 18th, 2007, 02:36 PM
thing is i dont have a bootloader......

ok so i charged the batteries on my digital camera and recorded the error message that pops up too fast to read right before it should start loading vista, and it says:
Invalid Boot.ini file
Booting from C:\windows\

now this is an obvious problem....

EDIT: FIXED YAY WITHOUT FORMATTING OR REINSTALLING!!!!! I ran the recoery command prompt and used the /fixboot commands.....YAY

KIWIDOGGIE
August 18th, 2007, 05:36 PM
i thought you tried that already, oh well. Nice going