PDA

View Full Version : peak of despair v2

Sel
August 22nd, 2007, 10:43 AM
Well, Im here to improve, any thoughts on what I need to do better in this map I just put out? (for future reference.)

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?pg=3&fid=3149

http://hce.halomaps.org/images/files/sm/28screenshot00-9.jpghttp://hce.halomaps.org/images/files/sm/27screenshot00-10.jpg

Im quite aware how horribly the bases are UVWed, but I didnt make the ones on the bottom of the mountain so dont blame me D:

Tweek
August 22nd, 2007, 11:06 AM
it's freaking horrible.

you need to do just about everythign and more better. seriously, it's terrible.
i suggest you learn to model, like so many have been told before. once you've gotten past that stage, you can think about making a better map :D
i'm sure that if you searched a little bit you'd find tonnes of links to great tutorials on this website. do a few, learn a bit, improve.

Teh Ganon
August 22nd, 2007, 11:17 AM
oh my... that is ^^^^^what he said^^^^^. I mean come on, did you seriously think anybody would like it?

OmegaDragon
August 22nd, 2007, 12:41 PM
http://hce.halomaps.org/images/files/sm/28screenshot00-9.jpghttp://hce.halomaps.org/images/files/sm/27screenshot00-10.jpg

it's freaking horrible.

you need to do just about everything and more better. seriously, it's terrible.
i suggest you learn to model, like so many have been told before. once you've gotten past that stage, you can think about making a better map :D
i'm sure that if you searched a little bit you'd find tonnes of links to great tutorials on this website. do a few, learn a bit, improve.

What he just said sums up most of our opinions.

Con
August 22nd, 2007, 01:30 PM
Do people have some issue with putting a bit of effort into their maps these days?

Mass
August 22nd, 2007, 01:34 PM
ummmmm......ewwww. Why do you hate cliffs?

Apoc4lypse
August 22nd, 2007, 01:34 PM
way to go easy on the guy...

I have to agree though the modeling needs alot more work, look for some tutorials, and spend more time on the 3d modeling.

Sel
August 22nd, 2007, 02:58 PM
way to go easy on the guy...

I have to agree though the modeling needs alot more work, look for some tutorials, and spend more time on the 3d modeling.

I put a while in that, (Most of it waiting for the damn thing to export <_<, then there were the repeated crashes, I hates Gmax.)

Teh Ganon
August 22nd, 2007, 03:01 PM
How much time? 2 hours?

Nimverus
August 22nd, 2007, 03:05 PM
wow....dude ummm hmmm O_o well all i can say is DUDE U NEED UPGRADE FROM 2004, did u use gmax because you couldnt possible do the cliffs like that with 3ds, and if you did PLEASE USE SOFT-SELECTION ON , try modeling like bungie's cliffs

Nimverus
August 22nd, 2007, 03:12 PM
How much time? 2 hours?

mabey 65 days?...

Teh Ganon
August 22nd, 2007, 03:26 PM
your sarcasm fails to make me laugh, and your double post is :( and I dont think you know anything about modeling yourself and i want ice cream and make sure it has chocalate prinkles.

OmegaDragon
August 22nd, 2007, 04:08 PM
wow....dude ummm hmmm O_o well all i can say is DUDE U NEED UPGRADE FROM 2004, did u use gmax because you couldnt possible do the cliffs like that with 3ds,

Perhaps he uses gmax because many people cannot afford 3ds max, and making cliffs in gmax has no difference than making the cliffs in 3ds Max.

and if you did PLEASE USE SOFT-SELECTION ON , try modeling like bungie's cliffs
Bungie has professional modelers, not everyone is a professional here you know. What he needs is a bit more practice and learn to use the tools when necessary in gmax.

Also, soft selection is not that great when making cliffs.

mabey 65 days?...

Double posting, especially when it is to make a failed attempt at sarcasm is a no-no (http://www.h2vista.net/forums/announcement.php?f=2) :fail:

Another point, if English is not your primary language, I understand, but if it is your primary language, you need to go back to Kindergarten to learn your ABC's.

Nimverus
August 22nd, 2007, 07:11 PM
your sarcasm fails to make me laugh, and your double post is :( and I dont think you know anything about modeling yourself and i want ice cream and make sure it has chocalate prinkles.

I beg to differ, your a suprise to me taking telling me how much i know about modeling....nice move -_-

Nimverus
August 22nd, 2007, 07:14 PM
Perhaps he uses gmax because many people cannot afford 3ds max, and making cliffs in gmax has no difference than making the cliffs in 3ds Max.

Bungie has professional modelers, not everyone is a professional here you know. What he needs is a bit more practice and learn to use the tools when necessary in gmax.

Also, soft selection is not that great when making cliffs.

Double posting, especially when it is to make a failed attempt at sarcasm is a no-no (http://www.h2vista.net/forums/announcement.php?f=2) :fail:

Another point, if English is not your primary language, I understand, but if it is your primary language, you need to go back to Kindergarten to learn your ABC's.

meh... i wasnt suprised failing on my sarcasm, i dont think im affended by it, i dont really know :\

Ki11a_FTW
August 22nd, 2007, 08:20 PM
wow....dude ummm hmmm O_o well all i can say is DUDE U NEED UPGRADE FROM 2004, did u use gmax because you couldnt possible do the cliffs like that with 3ds, and if you did PLEASE USE SOFT-SELECTION ON , try modeling like bungie's cliffs

Its almost impossible to model cliffes like bungie with a box model, use plane modeling :)

OmegaDragon
August 22nd, 2007, 08:24 PM
Stop double posting your gonna make the forums implode D:

Gamerkd16
August 22nd, 2007, 08:30 PM
Seriously, you need to read this:

Noobie Tip: Don't release your first maps (http://www.h2vista.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1480)

I love the spelling errors:

the two sides are seperated by a stream\watterfall.

Very unprofessional..

Teh Ganon
August 22nd, 2007, 08:40 PM
thats the sad part D: its not his first map... dont release your 2nd third or fourth mb lol

Nimverus
August 22nd, 2007, 08:40 PM
Stop double posting your gonna make the forums implode D:

I like imploding :XD:

Teh Ganon
August 22nd, 2007, 08:46 PM

Yeah its getting annoying now..

Ki11a_FTW
August 22nd, 2007, 08:57 PM
:gtfo:

Gamerkd16
August 22nd, 2007, 09:01 PM
Wow, your right. I just found another one of his maps. In that case read this:

Noobie Tip: Don't release your first twelve maps :D (http://www.h2vista.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1480)

Damn dude...

DaneO'Roo
August 22nd, 2007, 09:47 PM
So is everyone done stroking their e-penises yet?

oh and EP Killa, the cliffs in my map are box modelled :3

Gamerkd16
August 22nd, 2007, 09:56 PM

What does any of that have to do with this topic?

Mr Buckshot
August 22nd, 2007, 10:32 PM
The scenery is decent, but the buildings look like they were left in that "drab gray untextured stage." You know, the state that most models are shown in when people post WIPs.

Nimverus
August 22nd, 2007, 11:09 PM
Lucky for him he can make waterfalls, Its complicating for me to do waterfalls if theres no tutorial or way of knowlegde to make one, mainly the only thing i know to use is a plane

Gamerkd16
August 23rd, 2007, 12:56 AM
Lucky for him he can make waterfalls, Its complicating for me to do waterfalls if theres no tutorial or way of knowlegde to make one, mainly the only thing i know to use is a plane

Yea, but he can't spell waterfall, which is kind of sad...

There are plenty of waterfall tutorials out there. One is even in the HEK tutorial; read it. They are not that tough.

Mass
August 23rd, 2007, 01:27 AM

I hope so, and I made some decent cliffs with box modelling....but I like plane better.

Nimverus
August 23rd, 2007, 08:00 AM
Yea, but he can't spell waterfall, which is kind of sad...

There are plenty of waterfall tutorials out there. One is even in the HEK tutorial; read it. They are not that tough.

Oh ok I figured they would be in a section like on halomaps or halomods tutorial section.There is one on halomaps but its not specific for people :(

Llama Juice
August 23rd, 2007, 08:04 AM
I think the name of the map suits this thread very well...

well atleast we scared the kid... he probably is uninstalling 3ds/gmax right now...

*sigh*

sure it's the internet... and sure this map is horribly modeled... and sure... it's common practice to not release sub par maps... but... that's no reason to stab the kid's heart....

oh and by the way.... your map sucks... learn to model noob:cool:

Sel
August 23rd, 2007, 10:09 AM
Rofl, Id say Ive come a long way from my first map, and the other ones behind it, either way if I improve from map to map Im happy, and rather oblivious each time you start telling me that Im doing everything wrong, and not telling me how Im doing it wrong, or linking me to any tutorials thatll say how Im doing it wrong.

Also, as I mentioned, the bases on the bottom of the level werent made by me, and having a shit of the ass computer it wouldnt handle letting me re UVW it properly, so I just didnt try.

And, Im interested in this cliff modeling technique so if somebody could kindly link me to something that tells about it in more detail, itd be greatly appreciated.

Ki11a_FTW
August 23rd, 2007, 10:48 AM

so what your dano, you can do that :downs:

Sel
August 23rd, 2007, 01:22 PM
Oh ok I figured they would be in a section like on halomaps or halomods tutorial section.There is one on halomaps but its not specific for people :(

Waterfalls are pretty simple, just make a plane, and give it the timberland waterfall thingy. Then when you structure your map, take the entire shaders folder from timberland and move it to your maps folder, then sapien shouldnt crash when it loads.

Nimverus
August 23rd, 2007, 01:38 PM
Waterfalls are pretty simple, just make a plane, and give it the timberland waterfall thingy. Then when you structure your map, take the entire shaders folder from timberland and move it to your maps folder, then sapien shouldnt crash when it loads.

cool thanks, Ill give it a try see what happen :D

Tweek
August 23rd, 2007, 03:43 PM
wow, you just plummeted into the depths there.

first you're screaming at him how much his map needs to get out of 2004, and now he's giving you advice. bet you feel stupid/sorry now huh?

Mass
August 23rd, 2007, 07:56 PM

first you're screaming at him how much his map needs to get out of 2004, and now he's giving you advice. bet you feel stupid/sorry now huh?

:lmao:

Gamerkd16
August 23rd, 2007, 11:46 PM

The timberland waterfall thingy? Wow...

Dude, listen. Just read the HEK tutorial. It's all in there, in great detail. Selentic has said one thing right: they're not that hard.

Though, yea, I wouldn't be taking advice from him like Tweek said. No offense Selentic.

Llama Juice, nice hiding of the letters. lol

k4is3rxkh40s
August 24th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Rofl, Id say Ive come a long way from my first map, and the other ones behind it, either way if I improve from map to map Im happy, and rather oblivious each time you start telling me that Im doing everything wrong, and not telling me how Im doing it wrong, or linking me to any tutorials thatll say how Im doing it wrong.

Also, as I mentioned, the bases on the bottom of the level werent made by me, and having a shit of the ass computer it wouldnt handle letting me re UVW it properly, so I just didnt try.

And, Im interested in this cliff modeling technique so if somebody could kindly link me to something that tells about it in more detail, itd be greatly appreciated.

Why should they have to tell you every little thing that is wrong when if you read some tutorials like they say, youll get it right. And another thing, just because it doesnt say "Halo CE: Cliff Modeling Tutorial" or the likes of that, you can still get some decent modeling techniques that can transfer over to modeling for CE

Cortexian
August 24th, 2007, 12:36 AM
To be completely honest. The map that you model from the tutorial included with the HEK is better then that. Read the HEK tutorial from the front to back and follow each step carefully before making a new map.

Try the tutorials that Kirk made for Halo CE mapping.

Nimverus
August 24th, 2007, 06:58 AM

Not really because it was just a simple question about the waterfall, the fact that i model alot , I just never done waterfalls before....-_-
he just gave me a suggestion