PDA

View Full Version : Vista update to address gaming issues

Kornman00
August 31st, 2007, 03:08 PM
GameIndustry.biz reports that Microsoft's Vista SP1 (coming next year) is going to correct some issues that has a tremendous effect on game performances. For the time being, a hotfix has been made available to Vista users in order to correct some virtual memory problems.

Source (http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=462353).

Article (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=28215).

Zeph
August 31st, 2007, 04:11 PM
I'm surprised this wont be done through drivers.

et_cg
August 31st, 2007, 04:36 PM
Not so surpised myself. I did notice a slight increase in performance when these updates were issued a few days ago.

Limited
August 31st, 2007, 05:16 PM
About bloody time. Looks like I'll be getting vista next year then.

Patrickssj6
September 1st, 2007, 02:33 AM
The Virtual Address System? Has it really been changed much from XP?

I just know that H2 starts wherever it wants in memory...in XP it was either 0x10000000 or 0x40000000 for almost every process (except Windows one's like Kernel etc.)

Kybo_Ren
September 1st, 2007, 02:54 AM
The Virtual Address System? Has it really been changed much from XP?

I just know that H2 starts wherever it wants in memory...in XP it was either 0x10000000 or 0x40000000 for almost every process (except Windows one's like Kernel etc.)
The memory management part of the kernel was completely rewritten, along with many other parts of the kernel. Vista added support for random locations of the stack and heap.

legionaire45
September 1st, 2007, 10:09 PM
Do you think this will have any effect on my system which is running Vista x64 and has 4 gigs of ram and a video card with only 256 megs? None of my games really crash but if this update does improve performance I'll be happy ^___^.

Patrickssj6
September 2nd, 2007, 04:18 AM
Do you think this will have any effect on my system which is running Vista x64 and has 4 gigs of ram and a video card with only 256 megs? None of my games really crash but if this update does improve performance I'll be happy ^___^.
Virtual Memory *HINT*

It basically doesn't have to do much with the real memory ^^

I said basically...

Kybo_Ren
September 2nd, 2007, 06:18 PM
Yes. It has much more to do with how the kernel manages virtual memory pages than how much physical memory you have.

legionaire45
September 2nd, 2007, 07:27 PM
Yes. It has much more to do with how the kernel manages virtual memory pages than how much physical memory you have.
K. For some reason I had some thought in my head that the amount of Virtual Memory is affect by your physical ram.

It's 110ish degrees out and my AC is broken. Sorry xD.