PDA

View Full Version : Let's Play: SA:MP

rossmum
September 9th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Feel free to move this to tech talk if it's better there.

So, SA:MP? What's that?

Well, it's a third-party app which allows you to play GTA San Andreas online. There are a variety of gametypes ranging from all-encompassing RPGs that span the whole game map, through multi-team TDM matches in the desert, and all the way to dirtbike races in custom arenas. Server player limits vary according to gametype, playable area of map and location, but typically sit around the 100-150 mark. I believe the maximum supported player count is 200, which makes for some intense action or a great interactive RPG on servers which support RPG modes. There are a few idiots, but you get them with any game... and the netcode could be worse (hit detection on laggers is pretty bad, though it's a miracle it works at all on a full server). Depending on what servers you join, you may find you're able to do virtually anything the single-player game would permit... and more. By pressing G, you can get in the passenger seat of a vehicle, and by holding shift (may vary, some use H), you can lean out and fire in a full 360-degree arc. My only complaint is that larger vehicles - particularly aircraft - lack any passenger seats at all... let alone the number you'd expect. However, on the whole, it's a great mod which I've found to be incredibly fun when played with friends.

So, I'm interested. What do I need to play it?

First, you'll need GTA San Andreas installed and a decent net connection (obviously). If you have any custom models installed, I suggest you remove them while online, as the LOD-screwing effect they have in SA becomes far worse online. However, there does seem to be some sort of point at which they reach critical mass, so to speak, and overwhelm the engine... go ahead and test it out.

Ok, so you have those. What else? Well, you'll need the SA:MP program, which acts as a game lobby and also runs the online game using SA's installed content. It's not very large (<10MB last I checked), and you can find the most recent version right here (http://eu.littlewhitey.com/sa-mp-0.2.2-R2.exe). Install to your SA directory, fire it up, and you're ready to go!

www.sa-mp.com (http://www.sa-mp.com)

And last, but not least - some screenshots. (Note - HUD doesn't appear in all thanks to Xfire not registering it.)

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s310/xbh_rossmum/helikill.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s310/xbh_rossmum/gdbike.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s310/xbh_rossmum/pursuit.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s310/xbh_rossmum/para-1.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s310/xbh_rossmum/Clipboard01-5.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s310/xbh_rossmum/formation.jpg

Rosco, baturkin and I play it. There may be a few others who also do, so hopefully we'll see more H2Vers ingame!

Pooky
September 9th, 2007, 12:20 PM
You know I would ross, but I've got over 100 gigs of games installed as it is D:

How big is san andreas installed?

Syuusuke
September 9th, 2007, 12:20 PM
What if I don't have GTA:San Andreas in the first place?

rossmum
September 9th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Then get it. :downs:

4.72GB installed, mainly sound files and the main archive.

Skyline
September 9th, 2007, 12:32 PM
I would play but I get some weird error where it tells me to put in the original disc into another drive; I only have one so lol. I can only run it on version 1.01 on vista :(. I'll see if I can install it on my other computer.

Edit: You have aim/xfire maybe?

OmegaDragon
September 9th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Are you guys still on?

If so, what server? I am a bit bored right now and would like to play some SA:MP :D

Im usually in the Partyserver as a Triad and Never seen a familiar face, other than the people that I invite or they invite me to play.

Emmzee
September 9th, 2007, 02:59 PM
K, I'm getting it tonight. It's only $20 at Best Buy.

I WILL SEE YOU THERE.

Leiukemia
September 9th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Should have a server to meet up on, I wouldn't mind playing with some h2v members. Though, the thing I really hate about this game is that most of the servers with more people are also full of cheaters with infinate health/bullets and such. I got into this guys car with him and we flew around the map in the air, damn cheaters.

OmegaDragon
September 9th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Should have a server to meet up on, I wouldn't mind playing with some h2v members. Though, the thing I really hate about this game is that most of the servers with more people are also full of cheaters with infinate health/bullets and such. I got into this guys car with him and we flew around the map in the air, damn cheaters.

Yea thats true unfortunately :(
In the party server the cheaters usually are there for about 15 minutes before they get reported, checked by and admin and banned from the server.

Kornman00
September 9th, 2007, 06:26 PM
We need a H2V only server

Leiukemia
September 9th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Yes. This was fun at first, I thought like "woah this will be great". Then I go and play and every single server is full of hackers. It's rediculous. You can't do a damn thing, except kill the other single guy that isn't cheating. It was a 25/1 cheater to non-cheater ratio on every game. Not only that, but only 2 people on the servers could even speak english, and it was a second language for them at that. Fuck this game imo.

Syuusuke
September 9th, 2007, 08:04 PM
I guess that's more proof to have an H2V only server?

Kornman00
September 9th, 2007, 09:31 PM
I guess that's more proof to have an H2V only server?
and that ross-ums is a nubbler. Yes, thats right rossmum, you r a NUBBLER <:mad:>

Abdurahman
September 9th, 2007, 09:41 PM
:eek: BLASPHEMY!!!

Boba
September 9th, 2007, 10:17 PM
We need a H2V only server
And a custom gametype with custom scripts to run on that server. :D

rossmum
September 9th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I would play but I get some weird error where it tells me to put in the original disc into another drive; I only have one so lol. I can only run it on version 1.01 on vista :(. I'll see if I can install it on my other computer.

Edit: You have aim/xfire maybe?
teh rossmum and rossmum respectively.

82.94.220.95:7777

There are a few, but they usually only use easy-to-beat cheats like jetpacks and shit (I just hack the fuckers with my rotor blades, problem solved). It's not the best server, but it's relatively fun and cheat-free.

Yes. This was fun at first, I thought like "woah this will be great". Then I go and play and every single server is full of hackers. It's rediculous. You can't do a damn thing, except kill the other single guy that isn't cheating. It was a 25/1 cheater to non-cheater ratio on every game. Not only that, but only 2 people on the servers could even speak english, and it was a second language for them at that. Fuck this game imo.
See above. Also, a lot of the players seem to be European... but still, it doesn't matter. They seem to understand the essentials, and those that don't... meh. That's why I always bring friends with me. :P

k4is3rxkh40s
September 9th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Id play SA:MP, but with version 2.0, it doesnt allow you to use many mods at all

Dahaloman
September 10th, 2007, 01:47 AM
Then downgrade. :downs:

I've been playing the longest, June 05. :D

Kornman00
September 10th, 2007, 12:03 PM
One of the main motivators for making Yelo for CE way back when was the idea of all the MP hacks for the GTA games. However I only wanted to piggyback on the same networking everything else in CE ran on, instead of programming and testing from scatch our own setup, but I could never figure out what was going wrong with our interface (which is a main reason why the real Yelo hasn't been released to this day, we couldn't get the networking going smoothly)

I almost switched to the SA modding community back in 05 believe it or not...in fact, I think I still have the source to some apps I had made then left because you can't beat Halo.
Though, the tools that get developed in the SA are pretty lacking and poorly executed, it would be nice to see some improvements for it, but alas...

Also, H2V only server. Now. *looks at rossmum*

Emmzee
September 10th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Actually, it isn't that bad. I love the stunt ones.

Leiukemia
September 10th, 2007, 10:15 PM
lol I made some asshole chase me around on a bike who was hacking. He was using the one where he gets the minigun and rocket launcher, and can teleport right onto me. I was riding a bike, and he just couldn't hit me because his actual skills were terrible. Guess he got bored cause he left, I was having fun cause it was hilarious how bad he sucked.
"can't even get me with cheats on, that's sad"
"Yeah, well it's kind of hard with you going so fast"
"Aww somethings hard? Go make a cheat for it."

OmegaDragon
September 10th, 2007, 10:21 PM
lol I made some asshole chase me around on a bike who was hacking. He was using the one where he gets the minigun and rocket launcher, and can teleport right onto me. I was riding a bike, and he just couldn't hit me because his actual skills were terrible. Guess he got bored cause he left, I was having fun cause it was hilarious how bad he sucked.
"can't even get me with cheats on, that's sad"
"Yeah, well it's kind of hard with you going so fast"
"Aww somethings hard? Go make a cheat for it."

Lmao! owned XD

Most people that cheat do suck though. Now that I think about it, I have yet to see an aimbot for SA:MP and SA:SP. Hopefully there will be none :)

meepster
September 10th, 2007, 10:28 PM
is there like a free for all game type?

rossmum
September 12th, 2007, 01:09 AM
One of the main motivators for making Yelo for CE way back when was the idea of all the MP hacks for the GTA games. However I only wanted to piggyback on the same networking everything else in CE ran on, instead of programming and testing from scatch our own setup, but I could never figure out what was going wrong with our interface (which is a main reason why the real Yelo hasn't been released to this day, we couldn't get the networking going smoothly)

I almost switched to the SA modding community back in 05 believe it or not...in fact, I think I still have the source to some apps I had made then left because you can't beat Halo.
Though, the tools that get developed in the SA are pretty lacking and poorly executed, it would be nice to see some improvements for it, but alas...

Also, H2V only server. Now. *looks at rossmum*
Look at someone else.

Also, release those tools... I could really do with some new stuff to work with :-3

is there like a free for all game type?
Of course.

Emmzee
September 12th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Look at someone else.
Someone from the USA.

Kornman00
September 13th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Look at someone else.

sorry, your mum is in the way, h/o

Patrickssj6
September 13th, 2007, 01:48 PM
sorry, your mum is in the way, h/o
ross's mom is in Germany?

*takes the train*

Kornman00
September 13th, 2007, 02:13 PM
ross's mom is in Germany?

*takes the train*
no, shes just that large. You haven't felt that huge shift in gravity lately? damn...