PDA

View Full Version : XFPS 360 Pro Keyboard and Mouse adaptor

t3h m00kz
September 11th, 2007, 03:39 PM
http://www.xcm.cc/XFPS_360_PRO.htm

http://www.xcm.cc/XFPS-PRO.B.jpg

So I got to try this thing out. Thought I'd give you all a bit of a review on it. Well apparently as you can see it's a keyboard and mouse adapter for the 360, designed specifically for FPS. It's okay, I like the thought, the design and whatnot.

Pros:

Keyboard and mouse, omgomgomg

More agility in FPSes

Able to look around areas quicker (if you set the game sensitivity really
high)

Bindable keys

Can use the PS2 controller

Supports multiple types of keyboard inputs; standard and USB

Cons:

Mouse control is EXTREMELY lagged (To be expected with console games), as well as a huge deadzone, takes a LOT of getting used to

You can't bind mousewheel up or down to anything

You can't bind WASD to anything other than movement

You need a wired controller

$80-$90? Not really worth it

So, 50/50.

It doesn't really give you too much of an advantage over other players in the aiming department, seriously... I managed to go 13/3 in a Halo 2 swat game once, but come on, it was swat. Anything shielded I got my ass beat in because the mouse movement was so funky.

Check it out if you want, but overall it's only okay.

Mr Buckshot
September 11th, 2007, 06:24 PM
There was a similar device (Smartjoy FRAG) for the Xbox 1, except that it only accepted PS/2 (as in port serial 2, not playstation 2) keyboards and mice. I tried it and it worked very well with Halo 2 and BLACK.

Emulating an analog stick with a mouse is no easy task, trust me. There were several attempts to do so in older N64 and PS1 emulators, and the mouse control was so wonky that it was better to just plug in a gamepad.

I wonder why you say that the mouse is very laggy here? When I borrowed the Xbox 1 version, it worked very well...

t3h m00kz
September 12th, 2007, 03:00 AM
There was a similar device (Smartjoy FRAG) for the Xbox 1, except that it only accepted PS/2 (as in port serial 2, not playstation 2) keyboards and mice. I tried it and it worked very well with Halo 2 and BLACK.

Emulating an analog stick with a mouse is no easy task, trust me. There were several attempts to do so in older N64 and PS1 emulators, and the mouse control was so wonky that it was better to just plug in a gamepad.

I wonder why you say that the mouse is very laggy here? When I borrowed the Xbox 1 version, it worked very well...

From what I understand the XBox 1 SmartJoy was made by a completely different company... and thus, you'd get different hardware results. Apparently SmartJoy is superior.

Fun fact, some people who own the XFPS 360 plug the PlayStation 2 version of the SmartJoy FRAG into the XFPS 360 so they can get the superior performance of the SJF.

Amit
September 12th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Fun fact, some people who own the XFPS 360 plug the PlayStation 2 version of the SmartJoy FRAG into the XFPS 360 so they can get the superior performance of the SJF.

LMAO!:lol:

Cortexian
September 28th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Two year old bump!

People have been using "XIM's" to eliminate the input lag, I think I'll have to buy one of these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/XIM360-Mouse-and-Keyboard-Adapter-for-Xbox-360-XFPS_W0QQitemZ320427918136QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo _Games_Accessories?hash=item4a9afe0338&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

Homepage:
http://www.xim360.com/

flibitijibibo
September 28th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Woah, pretty big price jump. But it seems to be for a good reason. I would definitely consider it if I had a 360 around here. :smith:

Cortexian
September 28th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Well, they're manufacturing and shipping the controller with a pre-modded XIM installed, so I'd be willing to pay about a $100 for the labor alone.

Example:
http://xim360.com/xim2/XIM2_XFLEX_ASSM_2_SM.JPG

OmegaDragon
September 28th, 2009, 12:21 AM
If it weren't for the price tag, I would totally buy one. I just can't seem to learn how to aim properly with a joystick after playing with a mouse so long.

Now that I think about it, wouldn't this still have aim assist? It would be like playing with a perfect aimbot >.>

Cortexian
September 28th, 2009, 12:31 AM
And full bullet magnetism.

Just watch some of this:
_P4I2_7dUAU

Ganon
September 28th, 2009, 12:37 AM
yet another video that proves mouse/keyboard supremacy. funny how console gamers and people in the MLG actually think they have skill!

Rook
September 28th, 2009, 12:43 AM
why the hell doesn't Microsoft make keyboards/mouses compatible with the 360 instead of having to do crazy workarounds.

something like that would make h3 somewhat playable.

Timo
September 28th, 2009, 12:58 AM
There'd be way too much imbalance between Key/Mouse players and controllers - even if there's no aim assist with the mouse.

t3h m00kz
September 28th, 2009, 01:02 AM
mother of god what a bump

Bodzilla
September 28th, 2009, 05:59 AM
move to tech?

i just dont want to make KM cry :smith:

Phopojijo
September 28th, 2009, 01:05 PM
yet another video that proves mouse/keyboard supremacy. funny how console gamers and people in the MLG actually think they have skill!Well there's two things I'd like to say about that:

Firstly -- a game pad is an acceleration-based targeting system. Your movement determines your velocity that your view pivot... not the position that it pivots. That is less natural to the human mind than a mouse-like targeting system which is a position-based targeting system. Your movement determines your position along the screen. This is more natural and therefore "easier" -- since stopping your movement stops your pivot... in a game pad scenario you need to centre your movement to stop your pivot. This extra step makes it feel sluggish to those used to M/K.

Secondly -- This probably won't be as good as M/K on a PC Game... since there's probably implicit mouse-acceleration involved... neglecting the advantage of the first point.

That said, I never used it, so I don't know.

Cortexian
September 28th, 2009, 02:56 PM
From what I've read the XIM style converters eliminate the mouse acceleration lag. XFPS style systems still have a bit of it but it's been tweaked through the models so it's almost bearable. I'm not sure exactly how the XIM's do it, but you're actually connecting your mouse/keyboard to a PC which then records and converts all the input, sends that to controller, which sends it to the Xbox 360.