PDA

View Full Version : Question about Split-Screen in games with a widescreen TV

Hotrod
September 25th, 2007, 07:53 PM
As you might know, when you play a two player split-screen game with a widescreen TV, the screen is split into two parts by a vertical line, making a screen on the right, and one on the left. However, I prefer having a screen on the top and one on the bottom. How would I change it to be like that? I know it's possible because my friends have it set up that way (top screen/bottom screen).

Dr Nick
September 25th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Using what? An xbox? Just change the screen settings to regular, it'll look a little stretched, but you can have the screen split horizontally.

Mr Buckshot
September 25th, 2007, 10:06 PM
If it's the xbox 1, change the settings of the xbox itself from widescreen to fullscreen. If it's the 360, I think you can select the options for split screen from the dashboard or from the game (I don't know, since I don't have friends over that often although split screen is my only form of console multiplayer gaming).

Hotrod
September 26th, 2007, 03:34 PM
It's for the 360. And where exactly in the dashboard do you select the option?

Mr Buckshot
September 26th, 2007, 08:13 PM
You can set it back to the 4:3 ratio, that's the only way I know.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3291043913/m/8981073185

Did a google search, not sure if it's possible. Are you transmitting over HDMI or the old cable that came with your xbox 360?

Hotrod
September 26th, 2007, 09:18 PM
I'm transmitting over HDMI, and as I can see, the only way to have horizontal split screen is to switch it back to 4:3, which I don't want. I guess I'll stay with vertical split screen...

Mr Buckshot
September 26th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Yep. If you had horizontal split screen while in 16:9 mode...that'd be a little TOO wide.

Hotrod
September 26th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Yep. If you had horizontal split screen while in 16:9 mode...that'd be a little TOO wide.

I like it that way though. I know I do because my friend has it set that way on his widescreen TV with his 360, even in 1080p... I find the vertical split screen not wide enough.

Dr Nick
September 27th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Horizontal view gives you more of a landscape view whereas vertical view shows you what's in front, above and below you.

Everyone likes horizontal!

Hotrod
September 27th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Horizontal view gives you more of a landscape view whereas vertical view shows you what's in front, above and below you.

Everyone likes horizontal!

Yes, and I want it to be horizontal. Vertical split just makes the screen a lot less wide... oh well, I'll still have a lot of fun beating Halo 3 Co-op tommorow with my brother.

Warsaw
September 29th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Vertical, however annoying, is better for games like Rainbow Six: Vegas, with its cover system. However, Halo (1, 2, 3) are more suited to wide FOVs.

Hotrod
September 29th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Ok, when you play Halo 3 on a widescreen TV, it's horizontal split-screen, but there are black bars on the side. You can't change that, so there's no more point to this thread. Thank you for all your help.

Mr Buckshot
September 29th, 2007, 06:56 PM
If you're wondering how some people "apparently" got horizontal splitting in 16:9 mode, my theory is that it was a 4:3 view that was stretched to fill the 16:9 view (making things look fat).

Yeah the Halo series of games does best with horizontal splitting.

I don't have Halo 3 yet, but I suspect that if you do a three-player split screen match, you'll have one super-wide screen on top and two quarter-size 16:9 screens on the bottom.

Hotrod
September 30th, 2007, 06:44 PM
I don't have Halo 3 yet, but I suspect that if you do a three-player split screen match, you'll have one super-wide screen on top and two quarter-size 16:9 screens on the bottom.

Look at the post above you.

Dr Nick
September 30th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Lock the thread.

Hotrod
October 1st, 2007, 04:42 PM
Lock the thread.

Ok. Done.