PDA

View Full Version : Zune 2.0 Incoming! (*wonders if I can trade my old Zune*

Syuusuke
October 3rd, 2007, 09:05 PM
I'm sure you've heard the news about a Zune 2.0 coming out soon (I have a slight, small, microscopic feeling that it will delay, but hey things look good this time maybe...)

Besides learning that DRM free MP3 will not track you, I have also learned a little more about the Zune design. Inside sources have stated that the back plate of the player will be made from a brushed metal. This will be key for keeping scratches and fingerprints at bay. As for the rest of the body of the player it will be made of a hard glossy scratch resistant plastic as seen on many of the players noting the Creative Zen in particular. This from experience will show smudges and fingerprints but any player with a glossy plastic will. One of the more surprising things was that the Zune screen will be made of glass. So no more need to ridiculously spend $10 on a sticky piece of plastic (http://www.google.com/search?q=zune+screen+protectors).
I think the Zune team made a great choice by not leaving out first generation Zune owners; they will be getting all the same full functionality as new Zune owners. There was one small catch that I picked up on is that the first generation will not get native H.264 support. However, H.264 will be easily converted with the Zune software.
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/images/microsoft-zune-8-80-30.jpg

CONCERNING COSTUMER INFORMATION IN DRM

Everyone seems to be buzzing about Microsoft adding 1 million DRM free MP3 to their upcoming revamped Zune software. What differs here from competitors is it is a 100% clean MP3; it does not contain any customer info like Apple has embedded (http://www.tuaw.com/2007/05/30/tuaw-tip-dont-torrent-that-song/) in their DRM free AAC files.
This is definitely exciting news for those paranoid of big corporations keeping track of your every movement. For the DRM free fans, you are free and clear to download without being treated like a criminal. Enjoy.

Makes me wonder if I can trade my Zune 30gb for one =D
Seriously, you think I can?

(Source: AnythingButiPod is one of the best sites for Player reviews//also one more older article on the new Zunes a bit downward) (http://anythingbutipod.com)

BobtheGreatII
October 3rd, 2007, 10:52 PM
WOOP, too bad I just got my Zune this summer....

DaneO'Roo
October 3rd, 2007, 11:24 PM
What the fuck is a Zune

Tweek
October 4th, 2007, 10:45 AM
^

Patrickssj6
October 4th, 2007, 10:52 AM
I'll stick to the old ones...the touch pad is fugly, basically no new necessary features besides PC-Zune WiFi sync...not worth it IMO.

I love mine...but the fact that the last firmware only updated the shuffle feature and that they haven't released a new firmware in the past 4 months makes me <MAD>

But still :awesome: hardware.

Nick
October 5th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Uhm, you do know that the new firmware update for the Zune 1 devices will provide all of the software features of the Zune 2, right? The last firmware update might have been lacking, but the next one is pretty much unprecedented.

I would say that a thinner form factor, flashed bases players, improved screen build quality and brightness, easier navigation, and native H.264 decoding support are pretty decent hardware improvements. That is in addition to the rewritten manager software, revised UI, wireless improvements, marketplace improvements, lessened sharing restrictions, social networking site / data streaming, podcast support, etc. that is part of the Zune 2 and is being provided for free to Zune 1 owners.

The Zune 2s are very nice devices and Microsoft has proven its commitment to early adopters and customers in general.

Nick

Syuusuke
October 5th, 2007, 04:44 PM
I do know that the new firmware update will allow us to have the same features as the new Zune will have.

However I'm getting it for this very reason:

I would say that a thinner form factor, flashed bases players, improved screen build quality and brightness, easier navigation...

My Zune's screen is about to show signs of "age". For everyone else though, it's a win-win situation.

Nick
October 5th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Sorry Syuusuke, I was replying to Patrickssj6.

Nick

Archon23
October 5th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Hey it looks like an Ipod. :downs:

BobtheGreatII
October 5th, 2007, 06:31 PM
What the fuck is a Zune
It's Microsoft's version of the iPod. Simply put.

Patrickssj6
October 5th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Uhm, you do know that the new firmware update for the Zune 1 devices will provide all of the software features of the Zune 2, right? The last firmware update might have been lacking, but the next one is pretty much unprecedented.

I would say that a thinner form factor, flashed bases players, improved screen build quality and brightness, easier navigation, and native H.264 decoding support are pretty decent hardware improvements. That is in addition to the rewritten manager software, revised UI, wireless improvements, marketplace improvements, lessened sharing restrictions, social networking site / data streaming, podcast support, etc. that is part of the Zune 2 and is being provided for free to Zune 1 owners.

The Zune 2s are very nice devices and Microsoft has proven its commitment to early adopters and customers in general.

Nick
Many of these options are optional to users. I will never use the Marketplace to buy music, use the lessend sharing restrictions, podcast support etc.

Quality > Quantity and I want Quality I can use.

But yeah you are right those are many new features but I just want other ones.

DaneO'Roo
October 5th, 2007, 07:23 PM

oh wow :XD:

Syuusuke
October 5th, 2007, 09:39 PM
I hope they put the freakin time in it this time.

Wouldn't that take account for most other mp3 players or music players that were made after the iPod.
Company's version for the iPod.
Example: The Sansa Sandisk could be Sandisk's version of the iPod...

Microsoft isn't only competing against Apple, they're also competing against a number of companies that could have better ideas.

BobtheGreatII
October 5th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Wouldn't that take account for most other mp3 players or music players that were made after the iPod.
Company's version for the iPod.
Example: The Sansa Sandisk could be Sandisk's version of the iPod...

Microsoft isn't only competing against Apple, they're also competing against a number of companies that could have better ideas.

Yea, but rarely do you walk around going, "APPLE IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN SANDISK!!!!!" My point was, it is, for the most part, Microsoft vs. Apple. Thus the Zune vs. iPod. And before this goes into a huge debate:

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/%7Ewwu/images/hehe/fuckedup/arguing_over_internet.jpg

Syuusuke
October 5th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Wasn't going to debate =P

I just wanted to know things.

BobtheGreatII
October 5th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Wasn't going to debate =P

I just wanted to know things.

I wasn't really talking about you personally, just over all, I don't wanna start a huge fight...

Syuusuke
October 6th, 2007, 05:21 PM
I got my boxing gloves ready anyway. =P

I think I'm going to just stick with using my old Zune with the new firmware that allows us to use the same features that the Zune 2.0 has...It's good enough =)

TPE
October 6th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Yeah I'm sticking with my Zune 1.0 if you call it that. Its good. I really don't need wireless sync with the computer. Most the time when I plug my zune to the computer its to charge it. Not sync it.

Though when the zune first came out people bitched about it not having wireless sync with the computer.

Con
October 6th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Yea, but rarely do you walk around going, "APPLE IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN SANDISK!!!!!" My point was, it is, for the most part, Microsoft vs. Apple. Thus the Zune vs. iPod. And before this goes into a huge debate:

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/%7Ewwu/images/hehe/fuckedup/arguing_over_internet.jpg
That image doesn't belong on these forums.

Nick
October 7th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Yeah I'm sticking with my Zune 1.0 if you call it that. Its good. I really don't need wireless sync with the computer.As has been mentioned an absurd number of times, Zune 1 owners will be getting a software update that will provide all Zune 2 features and revisions (except maybe H.264 decoding, because the Zune 2 has hardware acceleration for that). So, even though you don't need it, you will have wireless sync for your Zune 1.

Nick

Patrickssj6
October 7th, 2007, 09:48 AM
As has been mentioned an absurd number of times, Zune 1 owners will be getting a software update that will provide all Zune 2 features and revisions (except maybe H.264 decoding, because the Zune 2 has hardware acceleration for that). So, even though you don't need it, you will have wireless sync for your Zune 1.

Nick

OMG? Really? I <3 you!

I guess I didn't read carefully enough...actually all the things don't seem very Microsoft-Like. :p

Syuusuke
October 7th, 2007, 11:33 AM
It would be awesome to charge via wireless though, I remember seeing something about that somewhere else in some other place. =)

Pat, make an app so I can connect to you from NYC to Germany!

Patrickssj6
October 7th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Would have been easier 4 months ago...when I actually lived in NY >.>

Also, now we can finally hack the Zune...Wifi Hijacking is easier than hijacking the USB port. :awesome: