PDA

View Full Version : Open Edge Error

FrostySnowman
November 18th, 2007, 02:58 AM
Ok. I'm hoping that someone can help me on this.

I have a level mesh. I export it from max, no probs. But, when I run it through tool,

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/7972/toolopenedgeerrorsc2.png

Pff. I only have one rectangular polygon thats open edged right? STL check reveals nothing! I import the error geometry WRL, and I get one tiny polygon. It does not match any other on export. I try rotating it in increments of 90 degrees. Nothing. I can't even find one polygon the size that I imported from the WRL in my level mesh. Does anyone have a solution to this? Can you select edges by their edge number? Help is highly appreciated.

Also, I tried making another box around the entire level, which did not work.

Longshot
November 18th, 2007, 03:06 AM
Yeah, the STL Check can sometimes show different results than Tool.

Open edges are easy to fix, try recreating the polygon or look for a vertice that hasn't been connected to a polygon properly (i.e. move it and see it if it doesn't move the face accordingly).

I had pictures to illustrate my point more clearly, but imageshack is being a pain.

FrostySnowman
November 18th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Yeah, the STL Check can sometimes show different results than Tool.

Open edges are easy to fix, try recreating the polygon or look for a vertice that hasn't been connected to a polygon properly (i.e. move it and see it if it doesn't move the face accordingly).

I had pictures to illustrate my point more clearly, but imageshack is being a pain.

Yup, I was doing that for x out of ~2900 polygons (ALWAYS REMEMBER TO SET LENGTH, WIDTH, AND HEIGHT SEGS TO 1 FOR YOUR LEVEL BOX, OTHERWISE YOU MAKE THINGS A LOT HARDER FOR YOURSELF.) Not a very good strategy unfortunately. If I knew maxscript I'd create me a script to do just that on every polygon.

What really makes me mad is I have one fucking polygon that's messing everything up. Screw the open world rules!

Tweek
November 18th, 2007, 07:38 AM
WHY THE FUCK ARE PEOPLE USING STL CHECK ANYWAY!?!?!?!!?!?
whoever the fuck came up with that idea needs to be shot.
it's one of the oldest things in max, and purely based on editable Mesh, because it's got dumb functionality, and lets errors be created way too easy.

if you model properly, there's no need for such a thing.
convery to editable poly, go into loop mode, hit ctrl-A, hit Z, tadaah theres your open edge.

FrostySnowman
November 19th, 2007, 01:42 AM
WHY THE FUCK ARE PEOPLE USING STL CHECK ANYWAY!?!?!?!!?!?
whoever the fuck came up with that idea needs to be shot.
it's one of the oldest things in max, and purely based on editable Mesh, because it's got dumb functionality, and lets errors be created way too easy.

if you model properly, there's no need for such a thing.
convery to editable poly, go into loop mode, hit ctrl-A, hit Z, tadaah theres your open edge.

Loop... mode? I only know loop as a tool. Ctrl A then pressing loop does nothing.

Kalub
November 19th, 2007, 03:22 AM
I believe he means, convert your mesh to editable poly/mesh, and then enter the border mode, then continue following his post.

>_> *silly tweek*

Tweek
November 19th, 2007, 03:54 AM
i cared.

also, border, THEN ctrl-a.

FrostySnowman
November 19th, 2007, 03:58 AM
I believe he means, convert your mesh to editable poly/mesh, and then enter the border mode, then continue following his post.

>_> *silly tweek*

Thank you very much, I was not aware of the bordor selection DOH* until now. I usually work with editable mesh.

Tweek
November 19th, 2007, 04:03 AM
fail

poly > mesh

CtrlAltDestroy
November 19th, 2007, 08:20 AM
That's not always accurate. It also picks up the seams between elements ("detached" entities within a mesh) as open edges.

Though I guess you could weld all your verts with a very small threshold before using the border method, then revert it back after.