PDA

View Full Version : I have a Playstation 3!

Mr Buckshot
November 25th, 2007, 05:24 PM
My 16th is coming in a week, and there's been a Canadian price cut on Futureshop's PS3s...

so I was allowed to get an 80 GB unit for only $500 Canadian. The 80 GB unit in USA costs $500 USD, so my unit is actually a little bit cheaper. The reason why the numerical value is exactly the same is because the Canadian dollar's value has peaked during this time period, being almost as high as that of the U.S. dollar. I figured, better grab a unit now before the prices go back to being $50 more than the U.S. numerical value. Sadly, the same cannot be said for the Xbox 360s at Futureshop - their numerical value is 50 more than the U.S. one.

But back to the PS3. I bought an 80 GB model and it came with MotorStorm. I'll be buying Resistance, GRAW 2, Uncharted Drake's Fortune, and maybe Splinter Cell Double Agent next week. Of course, I didn't neglect my Xbox 360, since I asked for Halo 3 as a present.

Also, I bought an HDMI cable from Chinatown for $15, and it works like a charm although it's obviously some cheap no-brand model. I'll need a second SixAxis controller and a Bluetooth headset soon.

And I've finally been able to experience something that I never got on the 360...online MP on a console. I don't like racing games very much, but Motorstorm's been quite fun.

Cortexian
November 25th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Aww... I was hoping you would smash it for us :(.

Mr Buckshot
November 25th, 2007, 05:57 PM
While the PS3 has a lack of games, it does offer more console per dollar than the X360 does, and it's not just the Blu-ray drive that causes this. Give it a few years for more games to come out, and the PS3's true value will come to life. Also the Blu-Ray's potential has not been fully tapped - when a game fills up the whole damn thing, we'll either have a really detailed game or a really long game.

For the time being, I'd agree with many people that the X360 is a better buy. But not for the whole lifespan of either console.

Also, the PS3 vs the 360 in terms of quality of engineering (does it break down too often, is it fugly, is it prone to crashing) is like Toyota vs. Ford/GM. I won't be surprised if the PS3 does break down, since the PS2 had a DVD laser problem before, but I've never heard of Sony products having as many technical issues as Microsoft products (the VAIO computers' issues are caused by the Windows OS). At the very least, I won't be in constant fear of the RROD (my 360 is a June 2006 model without HDMI or the new heatsinks).

Any other recommended games for me? I'm just so damned happy. When I get my copy of Halo 3, I probably won't touch my PS3 for at least half a month though.

343guiltymc
November 25th, 2007, 06:00 PM
You could've gotten a better GPU. :(

Mr Buckshot
November 25th, 2007, 06:03 PM
You could've gotten a better GPU. :(

True, but my processor (AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+) will be a major bottleneck to new cards like the Geforce 8800 GT. I'll stick with my 7600 GT for now, until I actually build a whole new system altogether. It's not worth it for me to simply replace my video card as of now, because the rest of my components are a bit dated. I could very well have spent my $500 on building a new system, but it won't be enough to get me a C2D E6750 and a Geforce 8800 GT along with a good mobo.

Hey Freelancer, I can smash my Xbox 360 when it finally RRODs if you wanna see me smash a console.

343guiltymc
November 25th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Well I have a Pentium D 2.80 GHZ and it runs likes shit. Never again Dell.

4RT1LL3RY
November 25th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Actually right now the canadian dollar is worth $1.01 US per dollar so you couls save a little money buying it in the US.

Install ubuntu on your PS3 it runs great on it. Im serious the PS3 actually runs its pretty well.

paladin
November 25th, 2007, 06:44 PM
I have a Playstation 3!
Oh yeah? I beat you. 'Cause...... I've got a golden ticket.

X3RO SHIF7
November 25th, 2007, 06:59 PM
er...grats?

Mr Buckshot
November 25th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Actually right now the canadian dollar is worth $1.01 US per dollar so you couls save a little money buying it in the US.[/ninja]

Well, yes, it is cheaper in the U.S. But if I get a ride down to the states and buy it from there, there'll be a higher gas price to pay, plus there are those infernal border tariffs. So it's still cheaper to buy it in my local area.

Pooky
November 25th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Cool, now eat it.