PDA

View Full Version : Router issues

ExAm
November 26th, 2007, 10:56 PM
So, today, I realized I needed to forward a few ports. Unfortunately, the Netgear had a password on it that no one can remember. So, I reset it using the factory reset button. I went through the wizard, and it told me my connection was A-OK. It lied. I now can't connect to anything that requires a DNS, and IM clients fluctuate between online and offline status. The Mac's Network tab in the other room says everything's green, but Safari says "you are not connected to the internet". None of the manual DNS servers I've been suggested work at all, and give me an "invalid WAN subnet mask" error when I try to put them into the router's settings. No matter how many times I cycle the system, nothing works. I have to connect directly to the modem to get anything done. It's the strangest thing I've ever seen, network-wise. Got any ideas on how to get the DNS back up and running?

Ki11a_FTW
November 26th, 2007, 10:59 PM
easy, buy a new router :)

ExAm
November 26th, 2007, 11:10 PM
I'm afraid you don't understand. It was working fine, other than the fact that no one remembered the password, and a reset screwed it up. That means that the router has no real issues, and this is something to do with the DNS settings. It's not getting them automatically.

Cortexian
November 27th, 2007, 04:54 PM
So contact your ISP and get them manually...

Syuusuke
November 27th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Go into the IPv4 (Internet Protocol version 4...) settings in your Network card and see if "Obtain DNS server address automatically" is checked?

ExAm
November 27th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Go into the IPv4 (Internet Protocol version 4...) settings in your Network card and see if "Obtain DNS server address automatically" is checked?I don't have a network card, but the settings that apply to my integrated networking are set to automatically receive DNS servers.

It's nothing with my computer, it's the router. None of the computers on the network can connect, except by directly plugging into the modem.