PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP SP3 RC1 Released

dg
December 20th, 2007, 07:04 AM
XP SP3 is primarily a collection of fixes and updates that Microsoft has released over the past few years since it rolled out XP SP2 in 2004. XP SP3 also does include a few brand-new features, like black-hole router detection; support for Network Access Protection (NAP) security-quarantining; enhanced security for administrator and service policy entries; inclusion of the Microsoft Kernel Mode Cryptographic Module; and Windows Product Activation modifications.

Download (Microsoft) (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=75ed934c-8423-4386-ad98-36b124a720aa&DisplayLang=en)
Download (BetaNews) (http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/1197391546/1)

DaneO'Roo
December 20th, 2007, 09:04 AM
lol i aint getting the RC. I'll get the proper one thanks. Weird though, to have a SP3 even though Vista is released :/

TPE
December 20th, 2007, 01:09 PM
K I am done with service pack beta's.

FUCKING DONE!

Botolf
December 20th, 2007, 01:24 PM
I thought Microsoft was phasing out XP or something.

Sel
December 20th, 2007, 02:47 PM
So, how many incountable errors are in this one?

Zeph
December 20th, 2007, 04:06 PM

Oiy, people like you tick me off. Hop off the fucking bandwagon and learn to look at something with your own eyes before considering a conclusion. I swear, I bet you were one of the people that heard businesses freaking out over XPSP2 and started doing so without understanding why.

I thought Microsoft was phasing out XP or something.
Like all old operating systems, yes they are phasing it out since a newer one has hit retail. That doesn't mean they stop messing with it altogether. XP will still be used by people and businesses for the next 5-10 years. This service pack is here to consolidate all the updates up to this point, add a few new improvements with what they've learned with Vista, and compose it into one single update.

TheGhost
December 20th, 2007, 04:54 PM

XP is one of the most stable operating systems on the market right now. It's now on it's third service pack, which should show just how mature it is. I'm not sure where your bias is coming from.

TPE
December 20th, 2007, 05:46 PM
I honestly cannot find a document with new features. I think it was my patched uxtheme.dll that cause it. Though I'm not going to install SP3 till its a RTM.

Sel
December 20th, 2007, 06:12 PM
XP is one of the most stable operating systems on the market right now. It's now on it's third service pack, which should show just how mature it is. I'm not sure where your bias is coming from.

Its mainly from my sub par computer, I like windows XP and all, but the performance really dropped from SP1 to SP2.

I was also kinda dissapointed that it didnt that it didnt seem to do very well with my graphics card, couldnt locate the appropriate driver :( I had to spend a while figuring out what was wrong, and how to overwrite it with a good driver.

Other than that there was just the common screwups that winXP gets sometimes, and the constant reminders that i thought were kinda silly, like the "Your desktop has unused icons one and all".

Zeph
December 20th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Its mainly from my sub par computer, I like windows XP and all, but the performance really dropped from SP1 to SP2.

I was also kinda dissapointed that it didnt that it didnt seem to do very well with my graphics card, couldnt locate the appropriate driver :( I had to spend a while figuring out what was wrong, and how to overwrite it with a good driver.

Other than that there was just the common screwups that winXP gets sometimes, and the constant reminders that i thought were kinda silly, like the "Your desktop has unused icons one and all".
Yeah, because you know it's Microsoft's fault instead of your own or Dell's. If it couldn't locate the appropriate driver, then why not put in the CD that has the driver on it? If that didn't work, then why not contact Dell's customer support about it.

If you dont like the notifications, such as the one with unused icons, then turn them off. It's like complaining about the "you are entering/leaving an encrypted site" dialog box that pops up in Firefox.

Sel
December 20th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Because I lost the driver CD :(

Im disorganized, its my fault, but windows should atleast have a reliable driver that works basic functions properly for almost any card.

Oh well, it was mainly the performance issues from SP1 To SP2.

SnaFuBAR
December 20th, 2007, 10:28 PM
dunno how you get performance issues... my pc booted faster after sp2 and ran much better. I'm willing to bet that the problem is your DELL.

ExAm
December 21st, 2007, 01:10 AM
dunno how you get performance issues... my pc booted faster after sp2 and ran much better. I'm willing to bet that the problem is your DELL.'Twas the same for me.

Sel
December 21st, 2007, 05:22 PM
dunno how you get performance issues... my pc booted faster after sp2 and ran much better. I'm willing to bet that the problem is your DELL.

Well this is an old dell...

BobtheGreatII
December 21st, 2007, 05:54 PM
Hmm... I'll give it a try, suppose I have nothing to lose, eh?

4RT1LL3RY
December 21st, 2007, 09:34 PM
On alot of sites they are seeing a 10% increase in performance in SP3 compared to SP2.

Sel
December 21st, 2007, 10:13 PM
On alot of sites they are seeing a 10% increase in performance in SP3 compared to SP2.

This sounds worth getting now.

:D

ExAm
December 22nd, 2007, 04:07 AM
*downloads*

Anton
December 22nd, 2007, 12:16 PM
Selentic, why are you only saying what everyone else is? >.>

And I would download the Pack, but I have vista.

Amit
December 22nd, 2007, 01:12 PM
Well this is an old dell...

You do know that without SP2 on your PC, it would be in the junk pile already?

Selentic, why are you only saying what everyone else is? >.>

LOL you saw that trend too?

My question before I download this is: can this harm my comptuer in any way that I won't be able recover important files? I've used tons of beta and RC1 software including Vista but I love me XP system and I'm not really willing to make changes to my OS if it has potential to screw it up.

I used Vista RC1, RC2, and RTM on my other hardrive so I never really cared if something got screwed up on it cause I never kept important files on it. Simple reformat would do the trick.

ExAm
December 22nd, 2007, 04:00 PM
Okay, SP3 screwed a couple of things up for me. I can't play the UT3 demo anymore. It gives me a "Modified executable code is not allowed. Please reinstall the game" message, even after I reinstall.