PDA

View Full Version : Video Issues

Anton
December 28th, 2007, 09:47 PM
I'm in the process of buying a new computer and I want to make the current one useful to my brother as a low-end gaming pc. About a year ago I bought a 580 Watt Hiper Power supply, 2 GB of Ram, and an XFX Nvidia 7900 GTS Video Card. The video card worked for a long time, about 2 months. Then suddenly it gave no video signal. So I took it and the power supply out and went stock for all the parts except the ram. So recently I decided to test it all out again, and what do you know it works. ...or so I thought. The video card worked for about a week with no problems, then suddenly it did the same things, I can restart and it will work. Then It will cut out before I get to Vista. Sometimes it will last for about 5 minutes in the OS but then it loses signal. My Onboard works fine so..anyone have any Ideas?

Oh and when it loses signal, the GPU's Fan gets really fast and loud. Does this mean its overheating or something?

Zeph
December 29th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Yes.

Anton
December 29th, 2007, 01:13 AM
How would I go about cooling it? I had a 120 mm case fan pointing right at it. It worked for like 2 minutes longer than normal.

Dr Nick
December 29th, 2007, 05:26 AM
Probably some connection errors if it's working for a while and then dying.

Just look around on the board for any bad/broken connections.

E: Try adding another fan taking the air out, if you're just blowing cold air into the tower, then it's just gonna pressurize the hot air inside.

InnerGoat
December 29th, 2007, 11:47 AM
What is a 7900 GTS? Do you mean GS like your computer specs says, or GT / GTX / GTO?

Regardless of what card, you should start by checking the cooler for dust, and make sure it is still held tight against the core. Another thing to try is to put a heatsink (or fan) over the mosfets on the back, because those can cause blackscreens for some.

ps - The 7900 series really liked to die out of nowhere :embarrassed:

Anton
December 29th, 2007, 10:42 PM
GS. Sorry about that. I'll check it for dust, and my tower's side is open, with a fan blowing toward the GS. Probably not a good idea for it to be open...

Patrickssj6
December 31st, 2007, 05:14 AM
Way to go >.>