PDA

View Full Version : So, I hear my comp hates me...

Sever
January 8th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Last night, just when I logged on to HCE and got in-game (yoyorast Island, of course), my computer crashes. The fact that it crashed is not extremely unusual - it's done that before (but not often), but the WAY it crashed is: My screen froze and gained blue horizontal hatching all over, but my audio was still working (I could still hear warthogs, ghosts and combat noises). So, I do what everyone would have done - restart. Now, what happens next is this screen:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f87/sever323/DSC02728.jpg
And then, During the standard black Xp startup screen, my monitor cuts off. I then hit the restart button, and I get THIS screen:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f87/sever323/DSC02729.jpg
I was able to discern that it was the 'safe mode' options screen. "Start Windows Normally" and Start Using Last Known Working Configuration" do not work, so I try "Safe Mode", which DOES work, as seen HERE:http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f87/sever323/DSC02730.jpg and HERE: http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f87/sever323/DSC02731.jpg Now, I am not able to run ANY of my games, connect to the internet, or play any songs in iTunes. It gives me errors mentioning DirectX with my games when I try any of them, including some from 1995. Now, I have no idea which programs are being blocked by 'safe mode', and which are just not working due to the crash, so I have no idea if any of this is helpful. Also, I tried a system restore to the most recient 'checkpoint (Saturday the 5th), but nothing improved; the same outcome when trying anything with the graphics driver installation disc.

Any ideas on what has happened?

Zeph
January 8th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Video card overheated terribly. Replace it.

Sever
January 8th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Should I just replace it with the same one (nVidia Ge-Force 6 series), or am I able to purchase a new one without having to upgrade any other parts (ASUS A8N5X, AMD Athlon 64, tell me if I need to list anything else).

InnerGoat
January 8th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Nice video card you got there. There are much faster cards out for AGP and PCIe, plus the prices are low right now so go ahead and upgrade.

Patrickssj6
January 8th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Just check the slots and power needed.

Also, now that I see Goaty's signature, don't listen to Agamemnon.

X3RO SHIF7
January 8th, 2008, 12:28 PM
yea...video card

Sever
January 8th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I need to know I should get that will still be compatable with my current system, without costing too much money. I only need something that can run The Orange Box and C&C3, and I take it that my old and dead card couldn't handle this. Any suggestions?

Sever
January 8th, 2008, 03:10 PM
So, anyone have any ideas as to which specific video card I should get? I'm not that tech savvy, so I don't really have any idea what will work with my current system. If I need to provide more computer specs, then ask.

SnaFuBAR
January 8th, 2008, 03:15 PM
what kind of connection do you have? pci-e or agp?

Sever
January 8th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Any way to quickly find this out visually? Got pictures of both? I know next to nothing about the technical specs of my computer :/

4RT1LL3RY
January 8th, 2008, 03:48 PM
That board has PCI-e x16. So you should be able to use just about any graphics card with that. So what is your budget for a graphics card?

Sever
January 8th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Money is not a deciding factor, I just want what is required to play my high-end games (The Orange Box and C&C3), and nothing more. I'm not looking for something that would require me to completely overhaul my computer. If anything, the maximum I would do is get a new power supply. Here's a pic of the specs of my current one (I don't know if you need to know anything else other than the fact that its 12 volts): http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f87/sever323/DSC02734.jpg

Tweek
January 8th, 2008, 04:19 PM
start -> run, type dxdiag

then in the first screen you can see the basic specs of your computer.
go to the display tab to find more detailed information about your graphics card.

write that down here, and the people here would be able to compare it all for you, and point you to a proper replacement part.

that'd be the easy way of finding out your specs.

Sever
January 8th, 2008, 04:40 PM
The device is completely derelict - I just compared the dxdiag > display > device to my parent's comp (which I am using atm), and mine was full of N/A's.

4RT1LL3RY
January 8th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Thats a bad PSU (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=413081)
That power supply is known to cause hardware to die apparently. Get a new one before getting any new hardware that you care about.

Sever
January 8th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Can anyone give me some suggestions for the both of those (graphics card & power supply) that will still be compatable with my computer? I'd really rather not have to do an entire overhaul on it and completely gut it and start fresh - I'm happy with the way everything runs, well, DID run on it, other than its inability to seamlessly run games at their maximum settings.

Bodzilla
January 8th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Broken GPU's break a man down don't they, i know this from painful experiences :(

It was my Power supply that fucked my computer so you should upgrade that First, then if you could afford it get an 8800 card
Now that the 9 series are out the 8 series graphics cards will fall tremendously in Price and you be able to get a kickass Value for money deal
Good luck

Sever
January 9th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Well, I just dropped my computer off at a repair shop, and they're taking a look at it. Hopefully they can figure out how to get it back in running order without doing too much damage to my wallet. It may just be a problem with the OS/driver(s)/other easily reconciliable error, and I might only have to pay a local company a reasonable fee.

TPE
January 9th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Wow fail.

All you need is a new graphics card and power supply. Go order something cheap like a 2600XT or 8600 GT for now. Then get a PSU thats about 500 watts and around 20 amps on the +12 volt rails.

Bodzilla
January 9th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Well, I just dropped my computer off at a repair shop, and they're taking a look at it. Hopefully they can figure out how to get it back in running order without doing too much damage to my wallet. It may just be a problem with the OS/driver(s)/other easily reconciliable error, and I might only have to pay a local company a reasonable fee.
computer repair shops will always squeeze your wallet man.

shoulda jsut got a New GPU and Power supply. because i bet those guys will take one look at it, mb test your GPU, order in a new Card and you'll pay for it + them

Sever
January 9th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I fully agree with you in the big picture, but I've done some business with this local computer repair company before (when my computer saavy yet now-at-college friends couldn't solve the previous problem) and have been pleased with the repair results as well as the reasonable fee. Also, the one repair guy who I talked to while dropping it off said it might have just been a problem with the drivers or os, all of which I have the original discs for (I'll be dropping them off tomorrow, before they even have a chance to get a thorough look at it).

Bodzilla
January 10th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Drivers and OS problems dont result in something like that. :/

good luck with your endeavors :/
also tell us what it was when they take a look at it.

Sever
January 10th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I plan to. Also, I'm going to see if they can fix my USB drives - something's been up with them that has been beyond everyone who has looked at them, which also included a guy who has worked as tech support and built his own computers.

TPE
January 10th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Yeah basically your GPU over heated to the max or it just fried from you shitty PSU. There is nothing that your computer shop can do to fix it besides charge you $50 for them to boot it up and say "wtf idk wuts rong dewd, dat wil bee $50 keke"

Sever
January 11th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Also, I'm going to see if they can fix my USB drives - something's been up with them that has been beyond everyone who has looked at them, which also included a guy who has worked as tech support and built his own computers.

K?

I also believe it was just a good time for my comp to get a general "check-up", if you will, since I know next to nothing about computer maintenance, other than keeping it out of hazardous environments (dust, heat, magnetics, etc.).

TPE
January 11th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Take you probably about 30 min of research on google to learn the basics.

Really.

legionaire45
January 11th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Honestly I think you should have listened to our advice first before taking it into a shop =/.

If you have the install disks for XP/2000/whatev OS you have over there then why didn't you try reinstalling the OS yourself? The damn thing practically installs itself with all the instructions it gives you =/.

First thing you should do after checking your OS/having the tech collect his $50 "I looked and have no idea " check is replace that PSU, since it doesn't look like a very trustworthy unit. When dealing with PSUs you will want to spend probably at least $50 for a decent quality unit, but in this case you get what you pay for (hint hint, spend more). This (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182017) one or this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104954) other one look good for the price.

For a good video card you will have to spend a bit more. Compared to other CPUs on the market right now yours is a bit underpowered, which means that you'll probably run into some limited CPU bottlenecking on whatever card you get. This (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130318) card is currently the best bang-for-buck card on the market. This (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814241067) is also another great value here. If you really don't want to pay much more then $100 I'll have to recommend this card here (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130084), but honestly you'll want to spend more money.

Before you do anything I recommend you read yourself a modernish guide of how to put a PC together. Look on google, etc.

Bodzilla
January 11th, 2008, 02:28 AM
It's simple as hell to put a computer together. it's a bit like hooking a dvd player to your screen. everything is colour coded and/or socket coded.
so if it dont fit, it wont work if you force it.

and dont listen to Aggy :(

Sever
January 11th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I know what I did probably wasn't the absolute best move that I could've done to fix the GPU & PSU, but as I said, I have st least one other problem (that I know about) with my computer which is not at all related to either of the two.

Also, Legionaire, I will probably take your advice on the first PSU and the last GPU (yes, I'm a miserly bastar- I mean, 'financially aware individual').

Sever
January 11th, 2008, 04:44 PM
So, I'm now +usage of my USB drives, +clean computer interior, +miantainence tips, and only -$35, and with confirmation that the two recommended devices are a good move, both financially and functionally. I am going to order the two parts from newegg.com now, and go and play some H2 at one of my friend's houses for the mean time. Thanks, and peace!

4RT1LL3RY
January 14th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Thats not insanely overpriced for what they did really. Is it working ok now though?

Sever
January 14th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I'm getting the parts in on Wednesday (I'm not the type to spend more than $5 on shipping) and I'll be installing them myself then (I'm not "mechanically impaired", so I'm sure I'll be able to understand where to attach everything). I already checked the USB drives on safe mode, and they check out. Thanks for asking.

Sever
January 16th, 2008, 06:47 PM
So, my computer is now fixed, and I am no longer pissed at the world (I'll still destroy anyone who thinks they can call a pile of extruded, beveled & chamfered structures with vert-dragged terrain a map). I just finished installing the parts myself, and it was a cakewalk. I'm glad I never toyed with the notion of having the computer repair place do anything other than basic diagnostics, cleaning, and the USB fix. Still, it looks like Doc Oc exploded in my case (I'll have to get some tie-wraps and take care of all the loose wires some time). I'm off to DL Jahrain's new TF2 map.

Thank you very much to everyone (especially you, Legionnaire) for helping me with my tech problems. Have a happy and tech-problem-free new year (or some bullshit like that).

legionaire45
January 16th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Your Welcome :D.

Sonichaos
May 16th, 2008, 08:24 AM
So this is why you've been dissconnecting from Thomas's server or was is just your internet connection:confused:

itszutak
May 16th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Last post: January 16th, 2008 at 05:57 PM.

How the hell did you even find this thread? :/

Sever
May 16th, 2008, 06:32 PM
He's a friend of mine. He, Thomas711 and I can often be found killing each other on HCE. He's new to the forum, so I don't think he gets the timestamps yet.