PDA

View Full Version : Gears of war 2

PlasbianX
February 20th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Trailer on xbox live, game due out in november.

Hell yes.

Ki11a_FTW
February 20th, 2008, 02:16 PM
YESSSSSS

LlamaMaster
February 20th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Yesssssssssssss......owhi, I've never played the first one....or have a 360. :gonk:

Ki11a_FTW
February 20th, 2008, 02:35 PM
just watched, this is gonna be epic(lol)

Amit
February 20th, 2008, 02:48 PM
just watched, this is gonna be epic(lol)

Epic Games.

343guiltymc
February 20th, 2008, 04:16 PM
What, no PC port?

FireDragon04
February 20th, 2008, 04:23 PM
OMG WOOOOO CAN'T WAIT! Look epic, wish the trailer showed more, not just a black and red demo, but it looked cool, i hope thats a move in the game, that would be cool.

Masterz1337
February 20th, 2008, 04:39 PM
GOW2 tech video

http://www.gamepro.com/video/player.cfm?vid=123000 (http://www.gamepro.com/video/player.cfm?vid=123000)

FireDragon04
February 20th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Yea saw that, the bit with 100+ locusts made me go "oh shit" would be fun to fight though, even if it did make us slaughtered. I can see things like "large amount of locust" been used in cut scenes in GOW2.

Monopoly
February 20th, 2008, 05:12 PM
The soft object physics are amazing! I would have to agree that 100 locusts plus a stroika would be hella fun.

343guiltymc
February 20th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Pfft, and people say CryEngine 2 is the best game engine on the planet right now.

Elite Killa
February 20th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Destructible Scenery FTW! I loved how when you shoot the floor, you can see the bottom floor. This is going to reduce the number of campers now that this is in-game.

Also, meat and water physics FTW!!!

thehoodedsmack
February 20th, 2008, 08:57 PM
The water looks funny. Aside from that, good stuff.

jngrow
February 20th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Yeah, water still doesn't look as good as Halo 3. But, ABOUT DAMN TIME WITH THE MASSIVE CROWDS, SO MANY GAMES WOULD HAVE BEEN SOO GOOD IF THIS CAME EARLIER.

Zeph
February 20th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Pfft, and people say CryEngine 2 is the best game engine on the planet right now.
Yeah, because you know Crytek did get their engine out earlier and have been working on improving it since then? The Gears 2 build of the Unreal Engine is pretty much just implementing other things people have been doing for ages now. Really, the only innovation I saw were the soft body physics. Yeah, they've been around a while, but I dont recall them being used in game anywhere.

Large amounts of AI have been done before. There are games being worked on for the PS3 that have thousands of AI being used. That doesn't necessarily make it good. I noticed some path finding problems with the hundredish whatever they were running through the street. I'm sure it'll get some improvement, but you should remember that having the power to render something doesn't mean it will turn out good.

Their faked version of destructible scenery was surpassed by the design of a PS2 game. I cant think of the name of it right off hand, but it truly had destructible environments. As in, you want to blow a hole in the floor and the depth depends on how much ammo you have. Their system of destructible environments is simply a destructible layer. Not surprising though, as it could potentially break level designs. The lighting and rendering is pretty good, but that's to be expected of the next pallet of games.

No game engine is the best. There are engines that are best at certain things, but not a single one is best at them all.

Bodzilla
February 21st, 2008, 02:01 AM
Yeah, because you know Crytek did get their engine out earlier and have been working on improving it since then? The Gears 2 build of the Unreal Engine is pretty much just implementing other things people have been doing for ages now. Really, the only innovation I saw were the soft body physics. Yeah, they've been around a while, but I dont recall them being used in game anywhere.

Large amounts of AI have been done before. There are games being worked on for the PS3 that have thousands of AI being used. That doesn't necessarily make it good. I noticed some path finding problems with the hundredish whatever they were running through the street. I'm sure it'll get some improvement, but you should remember that having the power to render something doesn't mean it will turn out good.

Their faked version of destructible scenery was surpassed by the design of a PS2 game. I cant think of the name of it right off hand, but it truly had destructible environments. As in, you want to blow a hole in the floor and the depth depends on how much ammo you have. Their system of destructible environments is simply a destructible layer. Not surprising though, as it could potentially break level designs. The lighting and rendering is pretty good, but that's to be expected of the next pallet of games.

No game engine is the best. There are engines that are best at certain things, but not a single one is best at them all.
Sounds alot like the PC game "red Faction" with the destructible environments.

i loved that game <3

Masterz1337
February 21st, 2008, 07:07 AM
Yeah, water still doesn't look as good as Halo 3. But, ABOUT DAMN TIME WITH THE MASSIVE CROWDS, SO MANY GAMES WOULD HAVE BEEN SOO GOOD IF THIS CAME EARLIER.
Water looks WAY better than h3...

JDMFSeanP
February 21st, 2008, 02:09 PM
Yeah what video are you watching? That water is WAY better than H3.

Looks great, I'm gonna be straight up I never liked GoW one, maybe just because I didn't play it much, I wanna go rent it again.

jngrow
February 21st, 2008, 08:49 PM
Yeah what video are you watching? That water is WAY better than H3.

Looks great, I'm gonna be straight up I never liked GoW one, maybe just because I didn't play it much, I wanna go rent it again.
It looked like a weird decal over everything, as in, it still looked very flat. Flat water isn't interesting.

il Duce Primo
February 21st, 2008, 10:23 PM
The thing that I noticed with the water is that the waves when it runs into the wall. Since its just a high poly plane the wave doesn't bouce back off the wall but instead just keeps going. I'm not sure If H3 does that or not.

Warsaw
February 21st, 2008, 11:22 PM
Halo 3 doesn't do that. However, GoW 2 is still in development, so give it some credit. The Halo 3 water was a disappointment, since it had no real time reflections, unlike many other games that have preceded it (Half-Life 2, F.E.A.R., etc.).

jngrow
February 22nd, 2008, 12:33 AM
Halo 3 doesn't do that. However, GoW 2 is still in development, so give it some credit. The Halo 3 water was a disappointment, since it had no real time reflections, unlike many other games that have preceded it (Half-Life 2, F.E.A.R., etc.).

Half-Life 2 (original) used cube maps. But yes, I agree. It's weird, because I noticed pretty much no real time reflections whatsoever in H3, except for one cutscene on the level Cortana, where MC retrieves her.

flibitijibibo
February 22nd, 2008, 09:18 AM
Damn, I wish they were releasing it on PC as well. Eh, may only be a year later again.

Anyone have a wallpaper of that metal cog at the end of the trailer? Preferably 1680x1050?

Warsaw
February 22nd, 2008, 01:40 PM
Half-Life 2 (original) used cube maps. But yes, I agree. It's weird, because I noticed pretty much no real time reflections whatsoever in H3, except for one cutscene on the level Cortana, where MC retrieves her.

Also cube maps most likely, just since it was a cut-scene, they could tailor it to match.

Also, VALVe did a mighty fine job with those cube-maps then, because they even reflect the boat and moving objects above the water.

jngrow
February 22nd, 2008, 07:56 PM
Also cube maps most likely, just since it was a cut-scene, they could tailor it to match.

Also, VALVe did a mighty fine job with those cube-maps then, because they even reflect the boat and moving objects above the water.
Nah, if you see it the reflection moves around and does shiz. Bungie confirmed Halo 3 has real time reflections, it's just not used very often. RTF is turned off in MP, and in SP for most of the time.

Regardless, it was disapointing.

Warsaw
February 22nd, 2008, 09:57 PM
Indeed. Thank you Frankie, for over-hyping the graphics, again.