PDA

View Full Version : Fuck naw.

FRain
March 23rd, 2008, 12:32 PM
So it looks like I need help again. I'm not 100% sure what happened, but I'm pretty sure my comp fried itself. It won't boot anymore. It'll pass the POST test when it boots, but then it says disk drive failure, so then I go into the BIOS and make sure Primary Boot Device is set to HDD-0, and it is. I attempt to boot it again. No luck. I'm not sure I can do anything else at this point because the only 2 things I can do after the POST is press Enter or go into the BIOS.

Now this computer has some seriously important shit on it (important documents, file server, every program and application I've ever bought and installed, and we don't have any desktop computers to get to and back the HD's up. We only have 3 other laptops (my handmedown laptop :(, my brothers, and my mom's) and I'm really not sure what to do right now.

Should I attempt to get it booted and working again even after 6 attempts?

Should I scrap the comp and save the harddrives and valuable parts?

If anything I need to atleast get what's on the harddrive backed up but now I'm not 100% sure how to do that.

Help is wanted pl0x

(and no, I'm not dead, just busy)

Zeph
March 23rd, 2008, 12:36 PM
Your hard drive failed. Simple as that. If you want to attempt data recovery, check what sort of services the manufacturer provides.

StankBacon
March 23rd, 2008, 12:37 PM
by the sound of it, everything is still good except the hard drive, why would you toss the comp and keep the bunk hds.

take the hd to a friends house and put it in his comp, and see if it is recognized then back up your shit.

CrAsHOvErRide
March 23rd, 2008, 12:43 PM
Happened to me once too...reason? A virus/prank changed my HDD from master to slave. Manually reverted that in BIOS and everything worked again.

ExAm
March 24th, 2008, 01:19 AM
I had this problem when I first put my computer together - Something on my board or RAM got fried and I couldn't do anything with it, so I sent everything back except the CPU, the cards and the parts I cannibalized from old comps (hard drive, and a couple of non-system components). After I got it built with new parts, everything worked. I'd say test the HD first to make sure it's not that - if the HD works fine, then do the best you can to test the other stuff and get some new parts if you have to. That is, if you don't have a laptop, which you didn't quite make clear.

FRain
March 24th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Yeah. I'm sure that it has something to do with every part (except HDD and Video Card) are almost 4+ generations old.

legionaire45
March 24th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Sounds more like a hard drive failure to me considering it passes the post. Post the manufacturer name and I'll link you to a bootable tool that can tell you if the HDD is at fault. Another possibility is that your OS install simply borked itself and you'll need to reinstall windows, which means that you will lose all your stuff unless you backed up. I've had things like this happen and the HDD was not at fault.

If everything is left alone a stable system should stay healthy for a long time. Things like this happen after a few years with parts that are not solid state - ex fans, hard drives and basically anything else in a computer that has a moving part. The only thing that would completely kill a system would be something like a power surge/a faulty PSU and this doesn't seem to be the problem because everything else works fine, just your HDD doesn't work. Now, if your CD drive doesn't work then that might point to your motherboard's IDE/SATA chipset dieing but we'll see if the HDD is the problem first.

Idjiki
March 26th, 2008, 01:06 PM
i agree with legion.. its all good advice so i wont add more to that.. i will say that you can pick up a cheap cable at your local comp store that will essentially make your hdd an external hdd....or obviously you could just get an external hdd enclosure to be able to read the hdd on one of your laptops.. i know of some good recovery tools as well... but here's the thing... if the hdd is having mechanical issues then you are up a creek w/o a paddle... unless you have about a grand to 4 grand to spend to get it repaired and recover the data... sry

just another reason to spread the work about backups... storage space is cheap these days.. i have a NAS with a terabyte of storage for only a few hundred $$. I also installed a hot swap SATA 750GB on my personal pc for complete system images and daily work product backups...don't skimp on the backups, you will only live to regret it.