PDA

View Full Version : Technology impairs driving skills - an anecdotal incident

Mr Buckshot
April 13th, 2008, 12:26 AM
After two auto-related incidents happened today, it's hard to believe that my dad used to drive a huge-ass minivan back in the U.S., without a reverse camera or sonar sensors.

The first event happened when my dad left the key fob in his pants pocket and it went through the washing machine. Both our cars are equipped with "real" keyless entry - that is, you touch a button on the door handle to unlock the car, and you touch a button to start the engine, while the key fob remains in your pocket. But the washing machine had wrecked the circuitry in the key fob, so it was no longer transmitting its encoded signal to the car. After I watched my dad pondering for a few minutes (and sniggered), I finally gave in and told him that there was a mechanical key that could be sprung out of the key fob. He said "Oh!" and finally managed to get into the car and start it, using what he called "caveman methods."

After a trip to the supermarket and then to the Lexus servicing center to get a replacement key fob, we decided to wash the other car (an Audi). Beforehand, my dad disabled the sonar sensors (located on the bumpers) and the rearview camera (above the number plate) to avoid having the water and soap disrupt either system. After washing, he put the car in reverse to get it back into the garage. But alas! I forgot to remind him to turn on the sensors and the reverse camera. The result - the wall of the garage is missing some paint and the car now has some extra paint on the corner of the rear bumper. No dents/scratches, but it'll be tough to get the white paint off the silver car frame.

See, that's what happens when you get over-reliant on this kind of feature:

http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/7/B/p/ag_07a6avant_backupcam.jpg

I mean, it's a bloody sedan, and now my dad is a worse driver than my mom is. I know that full-size SUVs absolutely need this kind of safety feature, but certainly not a midsize sedan.

Next thing I know, my dad is going to become overly reliant on this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7a/Lexus_Optitron_and_Driver_Monitoring_System.jpg/180px-Lexus_Optitron_and_Driver_Monitoring_System.jpg

Yes, that's an infrared camera, designed to ensure that the driver is always looking at the road. If attention is diverted for more than 3-5 seconds, a very annoying alarm beeps and the brakes are activated at once. Y'know, to cater with anyone who tends to sleep at the wheel...

So people, when you buy tech-laden cars, always practice driving with a car that doesn't have advanced tech. Practice thoroughly, 'cause these tech features can impair driving skills.

Bodzilla
April 13th, 2008, 04:53 AM
you Buy an expensive Luxury car specifically for all these redundant features.

Turning them off would just be a collosal waste of money. If you want a Car and not an advanced electric shaver you just buy a car.

Kornman00
April 13th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Yes, that's an infrared camera, designed to ensure that the driver is always looking at the road. If attention is diverted for more than 3-5 seconds, a very annoying alarm beeps and the brakes are activated at once. Y'know, to cater with anyone who tends to sleep at the wheel...

I'd like to know the dynamics of that system to understand what makes it so reliable in the first place...

Patrickssj6
April 13th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Lmao that's stupid...almost as stupid as the new BMW X6 system where the ESP is disabled when you drive the car in a specific way so you have more fun but less security.

Wth is wrong with this world. \:awesome:/

E: I'm such a copycat p0lar

Sel
April 13th, 2008, 08:27 AM
This is actually pretty lulz

And it contains the moral, of something along the lines of STOP
I-Faggot Robot from happening.

Mr Buckshot
April 13th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Turning them off would just be a collosal waste of money. If you want a Car and not an advanced electric shaver you just buy a car.

Normally they're always activated, however the user manual said to turn off the sensors/reverse camera before washing the car since they are very sensitive devices. As luck would have it, we both forgot to turn on either system after the washing was done. And if you wanna know why we didn't use the gas station car wash, it's because the gas station car wash doesn't do it properly.

Yep, some of these features are quite redundant on sedans, unless you drive a stretch limo. But if you drive a huge-ass gas-guzzling truck or SUV (i.e. the Ford F-350 or the Chevy Tahoe, both American favorites), then a reverse camera is a necessity to avoid backing over little kids, as such vehicles have plenty of blind spots.

I'd like to know the dynamics of that system to understand what makes it so reliable in the first place...

http://thepassionatepursuit.com/images/weblog/07-09-08-lexus-ls-600h-driver-monitoring-system.jpg

The camera calculates the angle at which your entire face is facing the road. If the angle deviates too much, the camera will detect it, and the alarm sounds. You have around 2 seconds to respond to the alarm and regain alertness, otherwise the car brakes for you and tightens your seatbelt. This is perfect for those who drink and drive (not that anyone in my family drinks).

Bodzilla
April 13th, 2008, 09:37 PM
No i mean the "get practice with these device's off".
You pay a bullshit amount of money and to practice driving with them off is just Pointless. it negates getting them in the first place. look it's quite simple really, you should always reverse looking at whats behind the car, the cameras there to show you things you cant see.
It's never meant to be a complete substitute for basic driving skills.

Kalub
April 14th, 2008, 12:20 AM
LOL

What a dumbfuck. The caveman method fits the person driving just fine.

Oh, and its quite easy backing just about anything up; all you do is turn your head and look around while using your mirrors. Truck drivers do it all the time with more precision than anything Ive ever seen.

Kornman00
April 14th, 2008, 05:28 AM
The camera calculates the angle at which your entire face is facing the road. If the angle deviates too much, the camera will detect it, and the alarm sounds. You have around 2 seconds to respond to the alarm and regain alertness, otherwise the car brakes for you and tightens your seatbelt. This is perfect for those who drink and drive (not that anyone in my family drinks).
2 seconds :raise:? what if you're in the middle of some road...erm...stuff and experience more than two seconds worth of...joy which you can't halp but express... :-3? Can you tweak that timer?

Kalub
April 14th, 2008, 08:29 AM
I have a better idea.

Don't drink and drive, and don't drive while in a daze.

Con
April 14th, 2008, 09:43 AM
I have a better idea.

Don't drink and drive, and don't drive while in a daze.

Mr Buckshot
April 14th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Truck drivers do it all the time with more precision than anything Ive ever seen.

Yeah, I agree, but you also have to take into account that it's customary for other drivers to yield to these huge vehicles driven by people with Class-7 licenses. I admire the people who drive accordion buses through the narrow Vancouver roads, as it takes guts and serious skill to do so. In the meantime, most buses I see in Singapore have several LCD monitors in the dash to monitor all blind spots in real-time.

Plus, those trucks have loud alarms to warn people when they're reversing, whereas something like a Cadillac Escalade doesn't have the same feature and it's common for little kids to get backed over by drivers who can't see them.

And yes, my dad really did rely waaaay too much on the sonar parking sensors and the rearview camera. Normally, whenever he reverses, the GPS screen will switch to an image of the rearview camera to show what's in the car's blind spot, while a smaller LCD in the dashboard will show an overhead graphic of the car and use colored markers to show the proximity of nearby objects. The frequency of the beeping noise also indicates how far away objects are. Now try turning off these features in order to wash the car. Forget to turn them back on after washing, and you end up bumping against the wall of your own garage.

Speaking of the wall, we managed to re-paint the section that lost its paint, and the white paint that stuck to the Audi's rear bumper was finally removed.

Kalub
April 14th, 2008, 08:21 PM
You know whats sad;

I myself, at age 17, have a class A CDL license. And those features are nothing, but bullcrap for lazy people. Honestly if you cant use your mirrors, all of them, and then check with your head then you do not deserve to be driving. Its not that hard, and it doesn't take that much time out of your high class life.

Seriously, in fact I do believe that to pass a driving course you are required to do a headcheck when reversing or changing lanes.

SnaFuBAR
April 14th, 2008, 08:53 PM
You know whats sad;

I myself, at age 17, have a class A CDL license. And those features are nothing, but bullcrap for lazy people. Honestly if you cant use your mirrors, all of them, and then check with your head then you do not deserve to be driving. Its not that hard, and it doesn't take that much time out of your high class life.

Seriously, in fact I do believe that to pass a driving course you are required to do a headcheck when reversing or changing lanes.

this^^^

Bodzilla
April 15th, 2008, 02:11 AM
You know whats sad;

He's Asian.

Phopojijo
April 15th, 2008, 02:44 AM
This is perfect for those who drink and drive (not that anyone in my family drinks).No...

This is

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/Phopojijo/img_taxi.jpg

DaneO'Roo
April 15th, 2008, 03:11 AM
You have a lexus and an audi?

:gonk:

il Duce Primo
April 15th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Yea, asians can't drive for shit.

What was your dad looking at, a black screen? Doesn't he relise it's not on? Or does he just reverse not looking back while staring stright forward like a complete dumbass? And kids arn't usually going to get out of your way right away, you should just make sure theres nothing behind you and not hit them. I find this pathetic.

Phopojijo
April 15th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Yea, asians can't drive for shit.

What was your dad looking at, a black screen? Doesn't he relise it's not on? Or does he just reverse not looking back while staring stright forward like a complete dumbass? And kids arn't usually going to get out of your way right away, you should just make sure theres nothing behind you and not hit them. I find this pathetic.Try to keep a bit more Politically Correct.

I think the problem was -- he knew they were off -- but he was trying to remember how to do it the "good ole fashioned way" -- and ended up painting his car.

Kalub
April 15th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Too much money to feed his growing lust for being a retard...

Bodzilla
April 16th, 2008, 01:53 AM
now thats a bit Harsh.

Llama Juice
April 16th, 2008, 06:20 AM
I read the title and knew it was a buckshot thread...

these always end up the same way

but... yea you kids and your fancy sonar cars.... bet it has power windows... and power steering... and is an automatic too eh? The roof probably doesn't leak and does your passenger door close properly? Does your seats slide forward when you hit the brakes? Is your only cup holder nailed to your dash?

<3 my truck.

dg
April 16th, 2008, 05:17 PM
"Key less entry..."

Bitches, I got two keys for my Bronco. One fo' the door and one fo' the engine. And the closest thing I have to a rear mounted camera is a back window that rolls down.

Bodzilla
April 16th, 2008, 09:28 PM
your living the dream Dg.

Right on brother.
o/

Kalub
April 16th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I had a GMC Sierra Half-Ton like that :P