PDA

View Full Version : Buying Hard Drive - Advice?

Limited
April 14th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Okay, I have found this hard drive I'm pretty sure I will get it. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/129413 Its 500 gb, ATA, I have a feeling I have ATA/IDE (same thing yeah) I currently have a secondary drive plugged in, so do I need to fiddle around with the pins to make sure new one is secondary? Although the new one is 500GB and my main is 80GB, I still want the 500gb one to be secondary. So yeah, is it a decent hard drive?I think it is, but the main point is will it work on my setup? Quoting the motherboard manual "2 x UltraDMA 133/100/66/33 connectors" I have an ASUS P4S800 mobo too.

Patrickssj6
April 14th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Yes, why shouldn't it...ATA-100 with 100 connector on your mobo...I don't even pay attention to that when buying one.

InnerGoat
April 14th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Okay, I have found this hard drive I'm pretty sure I will get it. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/129413 Its 500 gb, ATA, I have a feeling I have ATA/IDE (same thing yeah) I currently have a secondary drive plugged in, so do I need to fiddle around with the pins to make sure new one is secondary? Although the new one is 500GB and my main is 80GB, I still want the 500gb one to be secondary. So yeah, is it a decent hard drive?I think it is, but the main point is will it work on my setup? Quoting the motherboard manual "2 x UltraDMA 133/100/66/33 connectors" I have an ASUS P4S800 mobo too.
you can have two devices on each channel, so 4 drives. You'll be fine.

Limited
April 14th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Isnt one sub set for CD drive Inner Goat? I just like to make 100% sure before buying any thing electrical because I hate it when it doesnt work :(

Patrickssj6
April 14th, 2008, 03:07 PM
The second IDE channel doesn't exist anymore on modern boards. They expect that most of your drives run on S-ATA.

IDE 1
-Slave HDD
-Master HDD

IDE 2
-Slave Drive
-Master Drive

If you want your new HDD to be slave you set both HDD with the jumpers to "cable select" (that usually involves removing them completely) and put the master on the end of the cable on channel 1 and the slave onto the first connector on channel 1.

InnerGoat
April 14th, 2008, 03:10 PM
not really, no. As for setting the new drive to slave, that's just a single jumper on the back of it, but it will probably come set to slave or cable select.

edit - wat

Lightning
April 16th, 2008, 10:10 PM
You can have ANY combination of CD and DVD drives.

Patrickssj6
April 17th, 2008, 09:28 AM
You can have ANY combination of CD and DVD drives.
I didn't deny that but that's the most common setup. :)

Zeph
April 17th, 2008, 10:48 AM
The only thing you have to worry about when setting drives up on IDE cables is the motherboard can only communicate with one at a time. This isn't really something you need to worry about, but if you've got two CD drives on one ribbon, dont expect copying disks between those two drives to go as fast as you'd expect. That setup might not work at the fastest advertised speed, but it still provides full functionality.

Pyong Kawaguchi
April 18th, 2008, 07:56 AM
On an older computer I had, I removed the CD drive and replaced it with a hd, Didnt cause any problems,
Or it could be because its old :S

Limited
May 21st, 2008, 10:39 AM
Sorry for the massive month bump, never realised it was this long ago I decided to get one.

I got a hard drive about a week ago. Works fantastic, made my pc run faster in general (even though its a secondary drive) probably because now there isnt so much on my primary.

Got the 500gb one, its 320GB used already.

Thanks for advice, rep will be rewarded :D