PDA

View Full Version : Doom 4?

343guiltymc
May 7th, 2008, 02:16 PM
http://pc.ign.com/articles/872/872097p1.html
I never played Doom 3 but I heard people saying it sucked hard. :confused2:

Warsaw
May 7th, 2008, 03:20 PM
It wasn't bad. Didn't break any new ground, but it was enjoyable.

Hotrod
May 7th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Well, I never played Doom 3 either, but I heard that it was really good. Let's just hope that this is one good.

343guiltymc
May 7th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Kind of funny, didn't John Carmac bitch about software piracy a few months ago? Will they still make this for the PC?

Xetsuei
May 7th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Doom 3 was a little bit repetitive but was overall pretty fun, I especially loved the storyline.

DrunkenSamus
May 7th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Xetsueiâ„¢;253885']Doom 3 was a little bit repetitive but was overall pretty fun, I especially loved the storyline.

One of the major problems with Doom 3 was the gibbing. You shoot a zombie in the head and he disintegrates...:eyesroll: But there are mods that make it so demons and monsters don't gib/burn away.

TeeKup
May 7th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I very much enjoyed Doom 3, it gave me a lot of scares and jumps several times around. It was really interesting how they mixed the right sound with the right flying scenery in a lot of areas, really creepy. I'm looking forward to Doom 4.

legionaire45
May 7th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Doom 3 and it's xPack was very fun and Doom 4 is definitely on my radar now. My guess is that it will either be a remake of Doom 2 or possibly a new story entirely.

343guiltymc
May 7th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Will Doom 4 try to dethrone UT3's deathmatch fame, or will it go the objective based tactical route a la Quake wars?

Phopojijo
May 7th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Will Doom 4 try to dethrone UT3's deathmatch fame, or will it go the objective based tactical route a la Quake wars?Quake always was the one to butt heads with Unreal.

Doom will most likely be mostly single player with a bit of deathmatch.

Mr Buckshot
May 7th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I borrowed Doom 3 from a friend, played through the single player once, and then returned it. I didn't really like it, because the AI was brain dead. Even the Flood in Halo were smarter than most of the enemies in Doom 3.

However, those add-on co-op mods made the game exponentially more fun.

I hope Doom 4 beefs up the AI. It's an iD game, so I know it'll sport revolutionary technology, but I want a revolutionary game too. And hopefully they make co-op a native feature too.

Warsaw
May 7th, 2008, 09:19 PM
DOOM 3 was not meant to be difficult, just scary. If you want it to be harder, play it on Nightmare. Now try and take out several Imps and Hell Knights with only 25 health (which is what it decreases to constantly if it is over that) and no BFG 9000.

cheezdue
May 7th, 2008, 10:04 PM
I liked the old doom games, they pwnd. But i was to scared to play doom 3.

Pooky
May 7th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Fuck that, now they're just raping the DOOM franchise. The first game was awesome, but I'm sick of it. I feel sorry for the people who have to grow up in this age of sequels and remakes... is it really that hard to come up with original ideas?

LlamaMaster
May 7th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Fuck that, now they're just raping the DOOM franchise. The first game was awesome, but I'm sick of it. I feel sorry for the people who have to grow up in this age of sequels and remakes... is it really that hard to come up with original ideas?
Game developers are pussys. So much money goes into making games these days, that if they try something new, and it fails, their destroyed. They just end up remaking the same crap over and over again because the formula works. It may not work amazingly, or anything over mediocre, but it still sells.

Mr Buckshot
May 8th, 2008, 12:25 AM
If the Doom franchise is to become awesome again, it might need to deviate from that zombie-outbreak-on-science-facility formula. What we need are demons who can actually put up a real fight even on the easy difficulty. A lot of the imps in Doom 3 just jumped right into the path of machine-gun fire even on Nightmare mode, although it's probably because many of the levels were in confined areas. The only real threats were the bosses and the Hell Knights, but taking down the Hell Knights was kind of like using a single SMG against an ultra-class Elite - just backpedal and strafe.

Remember how Doom 1 popularized LAN deathmatches? IMO, Doom 4 needs a more robust multiplayer system, not something that feels like an afterthought. Doesn't have to be on the scale of Quake, but do something interesting.

Lateksi
May 8th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Doom 3 is cool but doesn't make justice to it's predecessors. It also has always the same places where the monsters shockingly appear so it won't be too scary after the two times you've pissed in your pants.

Bodzilla
May 8th, 2008, 02:32 AM
I have actually liked all of the doom games, and look forward to another one.

There just insn't enough Horror, apocalyptic and satanic games out there. and Doom has always filled that notch.
I mean Pentagrams on the wall.

Seriously cool.

Pooky
May 8th, 2008, 03:09 PM
huh? The original DOOM wasn't about any of those things, it was just about mindless violence D:

I wish it'd stayed that way

Bodzilla
May 8th, 2008, 04:18 PM
wasn't it about hell???

you know, demons and shit.

Pooky
May 8th, 2008, 04:22 PM
wasn't it about hell???

you know, demons and shit.

Well you did go to hell in the last part of the game but the way you got there was really contrived and never really constituted a storyline. You're just killing shit on one of the moons of Mars then you look over the edge and oh hey it's hell.