PDA

View Full Version : Ripping DVDs

Zeph
May 9th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Yeah, it's kinda a taboo subject, but I got some old home movies my aunt paid someone to stick on some DVDs and I'd like to extract some of the clips pertaining to me, such as some band concerts. How would I go about doing that?

Bodzilla
May 9th, 2008, 05:30 AM
If i get a chance i'll ask me bro for a step by step procedure then post it :D.

dont count on a post from me tonight :S

Saggy
May 9th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Put DVD in Drive. Use DVD Decrypter and under mode choose IFO. Make sure the right DVD Drive is selected. There will be a box with all the chapters on the disc. Select the chapter(s) that you want (The ones that have the video you need) and click the image with The DVD, an arrow, and a hard drive. It will know rip that section of the DVD to your computer. Get a program called AutoGK, open up the .VOB file DVD Decrypter created and then hit the "Add Job" button. Then click start and it will convert your file to an AVI format. Done.

I'll try to re-write later if taht is too confusing. I cba as of right now.

Patrickssj6
May 9th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I'd just image the files into VOB...and play it with a DVD software.

Pro:
-High/Original Quality
-Subtitles/Menues/Extra features are maintained
Contra:
-You need the exact same space on your HDD (~4GB for 1 DVD)

You can convert them afterwards to .AVI if you want.

Dr Nick
May 10th, 2008, 12:33 AM
DVD Decryptor. (http://www.dvddecrypter.org.uk/)

Easy as hell to use.

Darkness
May 10th, 2008, 12:40 AM
DvDfab is best it allows you to rip any type of dvd

p0lar_bear
May 10th, 2008, 01:37 AM
If you just want to grab some quick clips, play the DVD in Windows Media Player and record the player with FRAPS. It's how I made the gif in this YTMND (http://beavissmack.ytmnd.com/).

Zeph
May 10th, 2008, 02:06 AM
I've tried Frapsing it before, but it dropped way too many frames for my liking.

Llama Juice
May 10th, 2008, 07:25 AM
With all the syncing issues and stuff... a lot of kids around here do something similar to what Polar was saying... but with a DVD player and a capture card.

Otherwise I'd use DVD Decrypter like what has been mentioned.

mR_r0b0to
May 12th, 2008, 11:11 PM
I use DVD Decrypter
It's insert disc, press rip, wait 20 minutes.
Has options for .VOB and .ISO

Mr Buckshot
May 13th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Thanks, I am in this situation too. I have a DVR to record movies from Movie central (Canada's version of HBO/Starz, etc), and I've been burning those movies onto DVDs (not for profit, just to free space). I would like to convert the VOB files into a format that can be read by my O2 XDA Flame PDA (MPG4 and WMV are appropriate), and that will fit onto a 4 GB mini SD card. Yes, I'm actually using a PDA as a portable media player.

Hopefully this DVD Decrypter thing will work for me.

Terin
May 13th, 2008, 09:23 AM
I've been using Handbrake (http://handbrake.fr/) for easily ripping DVDs, although I've only had it work on macs so far. The two times I used it on windows, I couldn't figure it out. You can give it a try, though. You can choose specific titles and chapters, quality of the rip, and other stuff.

CG_Maxman
May 13th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Dvd Decryptor is great. I use it myself. Its great at getting past alot of different (walls) built into dvd's. Also has a macrovision remover.

nooBBooze
May 13th, 2008, 11:50 AM
DVD Shrink is the way to go. You can even decide what parts of the DVD you want ripped (languages + extras) and how big the final file should be (original something around <4.3 GB or compressed).
im tempted to use the awesome smiley here.