PDA

View Full Version : I need to put on at least 5kg in like 3 weeks.

rossmum
May 22nd, 2008, 04:02 AM
My metabolism is fast as fuck and my sleeping 'patterns' are horrible, but I don't do much that would burn energy.

Any tips? 5 kilos would be good, 10 would be better.

Bodzilla
May 22nd, 2008, 04:05 AM
My brother killed his
all it took was a trip to an Irish pub where he was served a chicken schnitzel the size of two dinner plates and he washed it down with two guiness's
Every lunchtime for a couple weeks.

Are you sure you wanna do that Ross :S?

rossmum
May 22nd, 2008, 04:08 AM
Yes, I am.

I'm underweight, my BMI works out to be something like 17.5-18; I'm aiming for some semblance of normal, around 18.5-19.

n00b1n8R
May 22nd, 2008, 04:16 AM
BMI is just a rough guideline, and given the amount of physical excersise you seem to do, I'd strongly advise against it.
E: BMI of 19.3

rossmum
May 22nd, 2008, 04:32 AM
No seriously I need to be somewhere in the 'healthy' range. I intend to join the Reserves sometime in the second half of the year, the earlier the better.

n00b1n8R
May 22nd, 2008, 04:35 AM
I'd still advise against trying to do it over the course of a couple of weeks.
Perhaps a few months, but your asking for trouble if you rush it.

rossmum
May 22nd, 2008, 04:40 AM
Alright, 2-3 months sound good?

Keep in mind that while I'm no fitness freak, I do have to walk about 1-2km to the shops and then back, uphill, with about 10-12kg of shopping at least once or twice a week, and I did spend about 1-2 hours every week for something like 8 years swimming laps and can run pretty well in bursts as well.

MNC
May 22nd, 2008, 04:55 AM
5KG of whatever? Fat or muscle?

Zeph
May 22nd, 2008, 04:58 AM
That's the question you need to answer. If fat, then just eat eat eat. If muscle, then it'll be more complicated.

n00b1n8R
May 22nd, 2008, 05:03 AM
I'd recommend talking to a GP or mb a nutritionist as to how to go about it.

Patrickssj6
May 22nd, 2008, 06:13 AM
If you have the same problem probably I have...which is based on hormone problems...symptoms like acne underline this...you could get some homeopathic stuff that improves the Metabolism in your body which in a result will convert more energy into fat if they aren't burned.

Also, eat slowly....the more you chew the more it is going to be digested and don't only eat unhealthy stuff. If you aren't that vegetable boy you could get aditional Vitamin supply...

Also, muscle weights more than fat :P If you want to stock up on 5gk in a month or so you could do workouts...

nooBBooze
May 22nd, 2008, 06:31 AM
I tried to put on weight too by just eating nothing but fast food for 3 weeks [and some non greasy snacks + a normal, homemade dinner every night]. it worked although i merely gained 2 kilos FFS.
PROTIP: keep you sleeping patterns the way they are. If you sleep as much as you would like to, you burn way too much energy. also, if you smoke, give it up and youll be a fatass in no time.

If you have the same problem probably I have...which is based on hormone problems...symptoms like acne underline this...you could get some homeopathic stuff that improves the Metabolism in your body which in a result will convert more energy into fat if they aren't burned.
Science says homeopathic stuff = overpriced placebos :/

rossmum
May 22nd, 2008, 06:36 AM
Technically it doesn't matter; I just need to get my weight up. Muscle would be preferable, though, but I never was one for gyms.

n00b1n8R
May 22nd, 2008, 06:40 AM
Technically it doesn't matter; I just need to get my weight up. Muscle would be preferable, though, but I never was one for gyms.
Go for bike rides.
Seriously, best excersise evar.

Bodzilla
May 22nd, 2008, 06:54 AM
isn't he already the Uni's bicycle :-3?

Zeph
May 22nd, 2008, 07:06 AM

eat a lot and exercise then.

Kornman00
May 22nd, 2008, 07:39 AM
so why do you want to join a army :confused:

Roostervier
May 22nd, 2008, 07:41 AM
The BMI scale is dumb, tbh. I am not fat, yet I have a BMI of 28.6. Trust me, the "healthy" range really means nothing. It takes no account for body fat, it simply assumes you are a lazy fatass. :\

If you want to put on muscle, lifting weights wouldn't be a bad idea. If you even consider it, make sure you only work 3 or 4 times a week. Anything more is counterproductive. Also, work on upper torso and lower torso on different days. If you want to get fat, order some American pizza. D:

Llama Juice
May 22nd, 2008, 07:58 AM
If you wanna put on some poundage just eat pasta. Eat some spaghetti right before bed... you'll put on some weight.

rossmum
May 22nd, 2008, 08:33 AM
Go for bike rides.
Seriously, best excersise evar.
I fell off my bike the moment dad took the training wheels off and when it came time for a new bike (I was on the verge of outgrowing the old one), I told dad not to bother. I walk or I get a lift, I never actually learned to ride a bike without falling off. :v:

so why do you want to join a army :confused:
Because at least that physical effort is more fun and you get to learn useful shit. Plus also I need money bad and retail jobs blow hard. And I could do with more friends.

MNC
May 22nd, 2008, 10:57 AM
I told dad not to bother. I walk or I get a lift, I never actually learned to ride a bike without falling off. :v:

The plot thickens :o

So...

Can you get into the reserve not being able to ride a bike? :v:

I am so sorry for that

Sel
May 22nd, 2008, 11:13 AM

I dont think you can :v:

Limited
May 22nd, 2008, 12:11 PM
5kg? Thats like a stone? Hmm, cant really put that on in a few weeks, will take longer.

rossmum
May 22nd, 2008, 12:20 PM
The plot thickens :o

So...

I am so sorry for that
You honestly think they'd give reserves wheeled vehicles when they have a pair of perfectly good legs? :v:

STLRamsFan
May 22nd, 2008, 12:54 PM
5 KG is too much in 3 weeks. If you want to preferably gain muscle then hit the weight room and eat like a monster (eat responsibly though). You won't gain that much right away but you'll gain it with time.

Cortexian
May 22nd, 2008, 02:17 PM
Meh, I was in the reserves for two years, then I quit because it wasn't as fun as I had hoped (and I wasn't really hoping for much). The best part was the fact that I joined a Highland Regiment, and they had a decent pipe band... I play the pipes, and I was better then most of them, so I got in the band. I still got to do all the other "useful shit" as well, but it didn't live up to my expectations...

blind
May 22nd, 2008, 02:45 PM
Deep fry everything you eat.

Bodzilla
May 22nd, 2008, 04:49 PM
I fell off my bike the moment dad took the training wheels off and when it came time for a new bike (I was on the verge of outgrowing the old one), I told dad not to bother. I walk or I get a lift, I never actually learned to ride a bike without falling off. :v:

oh my god.

n00b1n8R
May 22nd, 2008, 05:09 PM
This explains so much. :v:

Matooba
May 22nd, 2008, 05:25 PM
Your best bet I think would be to talk to your doctor about your weight and see about ways to gain. I think adding more protein into your diet would help best. "PROTIEN SHAKES" thats what i used. I weight trained for 5 years steady and learn more about nutrition I think than training physically. I was up to 217 pounds, but solid BMI. When you exercise don't do too much cardio, your burning fat at a great rate. Do more weight or resistance training. Putting a bit of muscle on will increase your weight (Body Mass Index)and make you bigger.
Hope this helped

PenGuin1362
May 22nd, 2008, 05:35 PM
Ross, weight is not going to be your issue. If you're joining the military you want to be fit, not in the right weight range >_>. I'd suggest start weight training, muscle weighs more then fat and the more you have of it the better off you'll be when you join.

Syuusuke
May 22nd, 2008, 05:45 PM
And I could do more friends.
This is what I saw.

Yea, if you are going to be in the military, it's better to pack some muscle instead of fat, you'll need the endurance.

MNC
May 22nd, 2008, 05:50 PM
This is what I saw.

yeah, what's up with that?

We're not good enough, are we... :fail:

PenGuin1362
Yea, if you are going to be in the military, it's better to pack some muscle instead of fat, you'll need the endurance.
qft

also

Random846k: I wonder If they teach how to fire a gun from the pouch of a kangaroo

Limited
Do some cardio work, then do some weight/muscle work the next day.

You need to do some exercise, such as swimming, cycling, jogging, running etc. That will help your mentabolism. Wont work in 2 weeks thought. You need to increase your organ strength.

rossmum
May 22nd, 2008, 05:54 PM
Hmmm, looks like I'd be better off waiting until around August-September anyway. I might start running to and from the shops rather than just walking it.

e:

Christ, if my housemate keeps cooking so much and then giving me free meals, I'll need to bloody LOSE weight. I've already had brekky, yet here I am with a massive bowl of porridge :v:

Matooba
May 22nd, 2008, 09:19 PM
My metabolism is fast as fuck and my sleeping 'patterns' are horrible, but I don't do much that would burn energy.

Any tips? 5 kilos would be good, 10 would be better.

Limited, he doesnt need cardio, as seen in his first post, he needs to build Body Mass, which is muscle. Which means Lots of protien like chicken, rice, etc...

rossmum
May 22nd, 2008, 10:57 PM
<--- is eating chicken as he reads this :v:

Monopoly
May 23rd, 2008, 12:12 AM
I'm pretty sure they build you up in the military.

rossmum
May 23rd, 2008, 12:39 AM
The problem is actually getting in to begin with though. After that, yeah, I shouldn't have any problems with my weight. Our army feeds the troops pretty well.

Pooky
May 23rd, 2008, 03:53 PM
What are these 'kilograms' of which you speak?

Atty
May 23rd, 2008, 04:04 PM
Fat's easy, just bump up your calorie intake, doesn't matter what you eat, just eat more calories per day then you need. If your body needs 2100 a day then eat 3k a day. While doing this do as much physical work outs as possible, not running, swimming or anything, because that'll just burn a lot of calories, you need to do weight training.

Hotrod
May 23rd, 2008, 06:01 PM
One good thing to eat to gain weight is cheese, which is also one thing to not eat when you want to lose weight. Try eating as much cheese, or any dairy product for that matter, as possible, you should gain quite quickly.

Terry
May 23rd, 2008, 06:32 PM
Well, you could do what I did last summer. Sit down infront of the PC and not go outsi-Oh wait.

Also, throw in some cheesecake.

TheGhost
May 23rd, 2008, 06:58 PM
Work out and eat lots of protein.

Patrickssj6
May 24th, 2008, 02:27 AM
^ That.