PDA

View Full Version : Way to find past cd keys?

samnwck
June 1st, 2008, 03:00 PM
Well I found my old Diablo 2 discs(which I have been dying to play), but unfortunately i only found one of the cd keys for the original not the expansion(and the expansion was the best part of the game). Now i could have sworn someone posted a way a while ago to look up cd keys(for Halo at least), but all i could find was The Ghosts cd key looker upper-doo-hickie. Now maybe I am misremembering things, but perhaps if someone could point me in the right direction or just post a tutorial(if there is one) on how to do it.

Thanks,

Sam Nowicki

Monopoly
June 1st, 2008, 03:15 PM
Look under your bed.

.::Sim::.
June 1st, 2008, 03:30 PM
Look under your bed.

So that's where they run off to...

samnwck
June 1st, 2008, 03:32 PM
Lol, i already looked there. I mean is there a way to find it on your computer, is it logged somewhere?

Gamerkd16
June 1st, 2008, 05:01 PM
My guess is the registry. Isn't that how TheGhost's Halo CD Key retriever works?

OmegaDragon
June 1st, 2008, 05:14 PM
If it is installed in the computer or it has been previously installed (and the registry wasn't deleted on uninstall or programs like CCleaner) go look in Run > Regedit > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > *Blizzard

* I don't know if that is the correct one, i just assumed that it was under the developer's name.

Also, needs to be in tech. (or is against the rules somehow)

SnaFuBAR
June 1st, 2008, 09:39 PM
Use the search feature, this topic has been discussed many times.

p0lar_bear
June 2nd, 2008, 12:32 PM
For Halo PC/CE, yes. For Diablo II, not so much.

My guess is that the CD key for Diablo II is in the registry, but it'll only be there if the game is still installed. If you uninstalled the game, then you're SOL. I don't know if D2 encrypts the key either, so if you do find it, good luck and hope that it wasn't MD5'd.

Patrickssj6
June 2nd, 2008, 01:25 PM
Oh common Serial MD5 brute forcing should only take you 10,293,383 years. :P

samnwck
June 2nd, 2008, 02:17 PM
Well thanks everyone, I think i'll be either be buying a new copy then or asking my friend for his old one. In any case thanks for all the help. This thread can be locked or deleted or whatever now.

Gamerkd16
June 2nd, 2008, 03:16 PM
You can lock it yourself by going to thread tools at the top.