PDA

View Full Version : Zombie caterpillars :O

ExAm
June 3rd, 2008, 10:07 PM
http://www.newscientist.com/channel/life/dn14053-zombie-caterpillars-controlled-by-voodoo-wasps.html?

Now that's just creepy.

itszutak
June 3rd, 2008, 10:16 PM
puking now kthx

Boba
June 3rd, 2008, 10:16 PM
One individual sucking the life out of another, turning it into a mindless zombie that then acts as a bodyguard? There's nothing new about that. I had a girlfriend who did exactly the same thing.
This guy is awesome.

SnaFuBAR
June 3rd, 2008, 10:25 PM
bahahahaaa, this is awesome.

Zeph
June 3rd, 2008, 11:43 PM
I remember when this behaviour was first reported. There was a huge thread of people wondering if it would affect humans.

Amit
June 4th, 2008, 01:14 AM
This is pretty interesting. I hope they don't try to find out if it affects humans.

p0lar_bear
June 4th, 2008, 01:34 AM
The possibility of full CNS control on a human, dead or alive, is very unlikely in this day and age, be it an organic parasite (like this) or a machine (think the Matrix). This stuff is happening to these caterpillars because insects have a much simpler everything than a human; CNS, immune system, etc. Chances are that if these wasps were to lay their eggs into a human, our immune system would probably kill the eggs and dispose of them.

Amit
June 4th, 2008, 02:42 AM
The possibility of full CNS control on a human, dead or alive, is very unlikely in this day and age, be it an organic parasite (like this) or a machine (think the Matrix). This stuff is happening to these caterpillars because insects have a much simpler everything than a human; CNS, immune system, etc. Chances are that if these wasps were to lay their eggs into a human, our immune system would probably kill the eggs and dispose of them.

That's very true. Funny, once again I failed to realize that humans are extremely complex and smart creatures. Maybe it's because there are so many stupid people out there. And it's true! Natural blondes are very slow!

Chainsy
June 4th, 2008, 10:36 AM
This isnt neccesarily true. In the more tropical regions of the world there is a type of bug that will lay eggs in the body of mammals..including humans. It requires surgery to be removed, the skin around it will decay and be eaten through when the larvae hatch. Theres also been some medical cases of cockroaches (hehe, funny pun) laying eggs inside the gums of the human mouth, and I mean INSIDE.

Amit
June 4th, 2008, 11:22 PM
This isnt neccesarily true. In the more tropical regions of the world there is a type of bug that will lay eggs in the body of mammals..including humans. It requires surgery to be removed, the skin around it will decay and be eaten through when the larvae hatch. Theres also been some medical cases of cockroaches (hehe, funny pun) laying eggs inside the gums of the human mouth, and I mean INSIDE.

How the hell did they get inside in the first place?

ultama121
June 5th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Brb, making caterpillar army.

Hotrod
June 5th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Brb, making caterpillar army.

Too late, I already took them all.