PDA

View Full Version : halp

Bad Waffle
June 10th, 2008, 04:10 PM
ok so im installing mass effect. It installs, yadda yadda, i goto start it up, and instantly it crashes. So...i decide to go on the internets and find something.

But now, firefox doesnt work. I'm using IE right now. BLEH.

Sever
June 10th, 2008, 04:12 PM
The problem is, you were installing mass effect when you should've been working on hi-res halo. This is just the universe's way of saying get back to work. lol jk. I wish i knew how to help you out. I know how frustrating it is when things in your comp don't work right.

ICEE
June 10th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Is there any error message? Does it return to the desktop when it crashes or does the PC die?

Rob Oplawar
June 10th, 2008, 04:15 PM
serves you right
it's cause you want to play that shitty game
you killed your videocard trying to get halo's outdated code to run at high poly counts

In all seriousness, you're not really giving us much... are you getting any error messages? If not, is there an error log somewhere that you can take a look at?

And I've had the "firefox don wurk" problem in the past... but I can't remember how I fixed it... DX

e: wow, in the time it took me to write the unnecessary strikethroughs, two people posted before me. lol.

Bad Waffle
June 10th, 2008, 04:17 PM
no error code. no nothing. I click the firefox logo, and i get nothing. Even tried running it through task manager...

Corndogman
June 10th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Did you try Restarting? :o

Rob Oplawar
June 10th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Try this:
run firefox from the command line, giving it the argument "console"

ie, C:/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/firefox.exe -console

I think that might catch and report your error.

e: *figures out what that does* oh, lol.
Well, just run firefox from the command-line(console). lol.
but yeah, the console might come back with an error message.

Bad Waffle
June 10th, 2008, 04:43 PM
what the hell, now firefox works...but still, mass effect gives me some retarded general protection fault or something like that whenever i try starting it.

Ifafudafi
June 10th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I think that the publisher (EA?) did something funny with the copy protection and that may have something to do with it; maybe check Bioware's official help database and see if that says anything. Or, if you're using Vista, that could do something... I think.

Still, hope you get it working. Mass Effect is quite the excellent game if you're willing to put up with some mildly lackluster shooting.

Zeph
June 10th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Lol, I bet they left part of that really awful anti-piracy measure on there and that's what's causing this.

Pooky
June 10th, 2008, 05:24 PM
it's cause you want to play that shitty game
I really hope you're not basing your opinion solely on the Zero Punctuation review. I don't even particularly like RPGs that aren't Oblivion and I thought Mass Effect was good. Not perfect, but good.

what the hell, now firefox works...but still, mass effect gives me some retarded general protection fault or something like that whenever i try starting it.
It could have to do with that paranoid secuROM protection they slapped in it. Every 5 days it has to do an online check or the game won't work. Your firewall might be blocking it from doing that.

DaneO'Roo
June 10th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I get this problem whenever a game runs at a refresh rate my monitor cant support. Usually it involves me hacking some config file somewhere. Can't say this is the problem though. Have you cracked the exe or something?

Heathen
June 10th, 2008, 07:45 PM
My firefox up and died long ago. I switched to Maxthon. To this day firefox wont work for me.

Bodzilla
June 10th, 2008, 09:43 PM
It could have to do with that paranoid secuROM protection they slapped in it. Every 5 days it has to do an online check or the game won't work. Your firewall might be blocking it from doing that.

you have got to be kidding me.

Atty
June 10th, 2008, 10:00 PM
It could have to do with that paranoid secuROM protection they slapped in it. Every 5 days it has to do an online check or the game won't work. Your firewall might be blocking it from doing that.They dropped that though, didn't they?

Pooky
June 10th, 2008, 10:54 PM
They dropped that though, didn't they?

They might have, but it never caused any problems for me so I didn't worry about it.

Bad Waffle
June 11th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Ok, i've been playing mass effect for a few hours. i got it to work by using Driver Cleaner. Hoooooly shit, that game continues to amaze me.

But then all of a sudden i get this wierd crash that isnt good. black screen---then all of a sudden its like i rolled back to a crappy driver and now the viewable area on my monitor has diminished, squishing everything, and leaving about a half inch of usable 'dead space' around it.

DaneO'Roo
June 11th, 2008, 05:23 AM
Sounds terrible.

Your on vista aren't you.

:cop:

nooBBooze
June 11th, 2008, 05:35 AM
The problem is, you were installing mass effect when you should've been working on hi-res halo.
This. :P
Otherwise i can't really contribute to this thread apart from the crucial advise to be extremely carefull when you create a new character from the scratch, once you got it running. ME doesn't allow you to preview the entire face of WIP faces so i ended up with a wierd looking shepard that stuck his lips out as if he were a retard or some permanently horny dude because i was not able to view his face from the side while creating him.
also, weekly checkups have been removed and replaced with a one time confimration on startup.

Ifafudafi
June 11th, 2008, 12:41 PM
When the screen shrinks, does the acutal visible gameplay also shrink with it, or does that "dead space" cut off part of the screen?

odseraphim
June 11th, 2008, 01:29 PM
This. :P
Otherwise i can't really contribute to this thread apart from the crucial advise to be extremely carefull when you create a new character from the scratch, once you got it running. ME doesn't allow you to preview the entire face of WIP faces so i ended up with a wierd looking shepard that stuck his lips out as if he were a retard or some permanently horny dude because i was not able to view his face from the side while creating him.
also, weekly checkups have been removed and replaced with a one time confimration on startup.
PC Version, you can click on the persons face to make them turn to the side. 360 Version, you use the right stick.

Bad Waffle
June 11th, 2008, 05:02 PM
When the screen shrinks, does the acutal visible gameplay also shrink with it, or does that "dead space" cut off part of the screen?

MY SCREEN SHRINKS. PERMANENTLY. right now on firefox its happening.

Ifafudafi
June 11th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I blame vista, but the shrinking might have something to do with video resolution... Maybe.

Frankly, I'm stumped... have you downloaded the latest video card drivers?

Rob Oplawar
June 11th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Are your computer specs up to date? If so, drat, because my first instinct is to check out what's going on with the graphics card, but I have very little experience with ATI.

Like Ifudavi Afufidafi Affidavit Ifafudafi said, I'd say go for the driver. See if you can update it, or if you can find any error logs related to it.

Bad Waffle
June 11th, 2008, 06:29 PM
wow guys, thanks for stating the obvious. In my sleep stupor, did i forget to mention that of COURSE i checked the drivers?

Ifafudafi
June 11th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Okay, okay, no need to get touchy about it. I'm just trying to rule out every possiblity.

My guess is either the game is fuxed or your video card is fuxed. More likely the latter. Beyond that, I've no idea.

Sorry.

Bad Waffle
June 11th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Sorry if i'm a bit TINGY. I try to relax by playing the first new game i've been able to get in a LONG TIME, it doesnt work, and the first things people say is "maybe you should've been working on HRH!!1!!"

Well guess what guys, i restarted my computer, it BSOD'd, so i just went into safe mode and restored the registry (NOT from the crappy windows maintenance tool, it WOULDN'T EVEN START UP, but that uniblue registry booster tool, which works)

so now my monitors back to normal, but now my sound driver is gone for some odd reason. WHAT THE FUCK.

Sever
June 11th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I said that (the HRH thing) as a joke and openly stated thus. Sorry if you took it in any wrong way. Just recently I (eventually) solved the "OS pool paged memory low" error for TF2, but in between the time I made the alteration in the registry and the time it worked, my computer chose to not be able to competently run anything at all. As stated before, I know how you feel, and I wish I knew some bit of insight that would help.

Bodzilla
June 11th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Computers are a harsh mistress.

Bad Waffle
June 12th, 2008, 03:53 AM
Computers are a harsh mistress.

Damn straight they are. A minutes after all that jazz, my sound drivers started working again. And so i played through the rest of the game. And let me tell you, it was GLORIOUS.

WARNING SPOILERS

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/571/gloriousvictorydu1.png

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/8899/ohmymg0.jpg

Pooky
June 12th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Default Shepard D:

Mine's sexier

Bad Waffle
June 12th, 2008, 10:00 AM
i wanted to make him look like my character on KotOR but i failed, so i just said fuck it and went with default. I made another character, he looks EXACTLY like clint eastwood.

Verdugo
June 12th, 2008, 01:16 PM
i wanted to make him look like my character on KotOR but i failed, so i just said fuck it and went with default. I made another character, he looks EXACTLY like clint eastwood.

Holy crap.

Pics. Nao.

Pooky
June 12th, 2008, 03:00 PM

Whats your character on Kotor look like? :S

Also, you just inspired me to try and make a rick astley :D

Ifafudafi
June 12th, 2008, 03:58 PM
:awesome: Glad you got it working, it's a friggin' awesome game.

My Shepard looks like an ugly hybrid of Bruce Campbell, Sylvester Stalone, and Sigourney Weaver, but I don't have any pics. Then I made a female Shepard who looks like an ugly hybrid of Bruce Campbell, Sylvester Stalone, and Sigourney Weaver, which I also don't have any pics of.

Oh, and who did you end up having sex with? >.>

Bad Waffle
June 12th, 2008, 06:00 PM
ashley.

Pooky
June 12th, 2008, 09:16 PM
On my save Ashley died D:

I chose Kaidan cause Ashley felt like she had all the depth and emotion of a garden rock

Ifafudafi
June 12th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I nailed Ashely too.

I chose Ashely cause Kaidan felt like he had all the depth and emotion of a garden rock. :v:

Pooky
June 12th, 2008, 09:26 PM
They both sucked tbh :|

The only NPCs anywhere near as interesing as the Kotor ones were Wrex and Garrus I thought

Bad Waffle
June 12th, 2008, 09:48 PM
http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/5876/ohhiwl8.png

Now that my new character looks like a futuristic (young) Clint Eastwood with biotic power, i naturally have to answer all questions Rogue because its the least you can do for someone with such a caliber for being a badass.

Ifafudafi
June 12th, 2008, 09:51 PM
wtf no anti-aliasing ur vid card sux >:X

The problem I have with going Renegade is that it basically just boils down to "Kill Everything." On the other hand, Paragon just boils down to "Fetch Quests."

Bad Waffle
June 12th, 2008, 10:05 PM
i love no anti-aliasing, i would use it on my card if i needed to. You people nowadays...you're given options and you turn all of them on.

Ifafudafi
June 12th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Actually, I have an Nvidia 6600 GT. I can barely run Halo 1 at full 1280x1024 with a stable framerate. :gonk:

Also try playing as a woman. There's lesbian sex if you know where to look. :ssh:

Bad Waffle
June 12th, 2008, 10:16 PM
the quarian? <_<

Ifafudafi
June 12th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Liara, actually. Asari are unigender (although they all look like chicks) and their method of sex is almost entirely mental rather than physical, so they can fuck anyone. Including other women. :awesome:

Bad Waffle
June 12th, 2008, 10:40 PM
so what, you guys just get busy busy in the sheets, does she even have genitals, gawd.

Pooky
June 13th, 2008, 08:24 AM
wtf no anti-aliasing ur vid card sux >:X

The problem I have with going Renegade is that it basically just boils down to "Kill Everything." On the other hand, Paragon just boils down to "Fetch Quests."
Well... you can't blame them for making it similar to kotor :p

But at least for a dark jedi kill everyone for no reason made sense

Bodzilla
June 13th, 2008, 09:37 AM
cUT IT ALL
RIGHT IN TWO.

Bad Waffle
June 13th, 2008, 06:28 PM
well pooky, what else would you do to be nice/evil?

take everybody out to a tea party, but to be renegade, not invite a few people? THATS HARDASS.

Pooky
June 13th, 2008, 07:35 PM
take everybody out to a tea party, but to be renegade, not invite a few people? THATS HARDASS.

They didn't really explore ways to be evil other than just killing everything. There's extortion, torture, and running nude around the citadel, to name a few. (why cant you take your armour off? :S)

Bad Waffle
June 13th, 2008, 07:43 PM
are you kidding? there was plenty of extortion and torture. running nude wouldnt really do anything though. Unless you're a horny prepubescent teenager.

Pooky
June 13th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Sure it would, you'd piss off C-sec and get thrown in jail :D

Ifafudafi
June 13th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Not to mention get your status as a military officer revoked and lose any chance at scoring with the chicks/dudes.

Bad Waffle
June 13th, 2008, 07:57 PM
well no. he's a SPECTRE. he could just walk around naked and just be menacing about it...

Pooky
June 14th, 2008, 12:13 AM
That's true, I forgot spectres are politically invulnerable. You could say you're doing it for the good of the galaxy :haw:

Bodzilla
June 14th, 2008, 02:01 AM
cUT IT ALL
RIGHT IN TWO.
Dam.

i was drunker then i thought last night.

Sever
June 14th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Do you just go around quoting your favorite song while using bad internet etiquette when you're drunk?

nooBBooze
June 14th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Meh they kinda screwed up this whole Spectre-immunity thing when you were forced to get a friggin hall pass in order to accses the vehicel garage on Noveria.

Bodzilla
June 14th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Do you just go around quoting your favorite song while using bad internet etiquette when you're drunk?
apparently so.

Pooky
June 14th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Meh they kinda screwed up this whole Spectre-immunity thing when you were forced to get a friggin hall pass in order to accses the vehicel garage on Noveria.
Yeah, I didn't get why you couldn't just murder all the guards :p

Bad Waffle
June 14th, 2008, 06:22 PM
well you eventually DID murder a fair sum of guards when breaking into exogeni. but i think it wasnt the whole thing about spectres getting anywhere, its just that it was a private facility that doesnt take orders from anybody.

Pooky
June 14th, 2008, 07:09 PM
yeah but why couldn't you just walk up and shoot the garage guard in the face :S