PDA

View Full Version : What do you think Handlebars is about?

Llama Juice
June 12th, 2008, 06:03 PM
What do you think the song Handlebars by Flobots means?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuK2A1ZqoWs

Discuss.

thehoodedsmack
June 12th, 2008, 06:06 PM
The video's down...

Con
June 12th, 2008, 06:06 PM
owned

Anton
June 12th, 2008, 06:31 PM
.scratch that, it's down now. xD

Llama Juice
June 12th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Apparently they disabled embedding on that video.

Sever
June 12th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Damn good video for a damn good song. I might have to check them out a bit.

Heathen
June 12th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Its about what it sounds like its about.

DrunkenSamus
June 12th, 2008, 07:16 PM
It's about a talented dude AKA the next Leonardo Dev.

Corndogman
June 12th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Its funny how I've known this song for like ever now and now its starting to become much more popular. Damnit im trying to be different people, stop making my music mainstream!

but yeah, its about our country and how we have all this power but sometimes abuse it and how we'll potentially destroy ourselves/the world if we let our power get out of control.

anyways, this really is an amazing band and the new CD is great, its called Fight With Tools you should check it out.

Heathen
June 12th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Same here. This song is farely old.

Mass
June 12th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Its funny how I've known this song for like ever now and now its starting to become much more popular. Damnit im trying to be different people, stop making my music mainstream!

this

Everybody is singing it and it's just a little annoying. On the whole the popularity makes me happy though, here's why:

The song is not particularly deep, but it gets its message across well and I think it's popularity is a very good depiction of what this generation is coming up to say. It's good that a song that's not a transparent, tired, exploited hip-hop is desired by the people (or market, if you please,) it shows the American youth are tired of being treated like they have the intellect of a shovel.

I think in general it's an excellent little political satire about the straight out childishness of powerful leaders and above all the rest, Bush. It has a good sense of humor to it as well and a couple more deep and layered cultural and historical references, such as the bike reference when talking about Bush.

It's catchy too. Btw, if you check out the Flobots on purevolume check out the song Rise.

Bodzilla
June 12th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Mass your dwelving way too deep and searching for something that isnt there.
Give it a week and people will be singing Brittany spears and the new timberland rap crap.

The youth are still just as stupid as they where before, it's just that this particular song seems to be the new way of exploiting them.

Mass
June 12th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Yeah, I noticed no one really seemed to get it. That's what pissed me off about everybody liking it. Meh, I like to hope that people at least think they're listening to something more intelligent. I haven't heard a single good hip-hop song on the radio ever, and yes, they do exist.

You're probably right, but I honestly believe that it can be done, and there is, somewhere buried in the many mounds of mangled men mercilessly murdered by money mongering motherfucker record execs, some hope for pop music.

Scratch that.

StankBacon
June 13th, 2008, 12:07 AM
its a fucking horrible song.

Atty
June 13th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Its about life without order or something, from what I get.

Its not a bad song but its not the best.

ExAm
June 13th, 2008, 01:56 AM
I don't like it. It's rappish.

Llama Juice
June 13th, 2008, 03:12 AM
The first time I watched it I wasn't really paying much attention but twards the end I was like "Wait... how'd he get here...." then I watched it again and realized it's the first rap song I've heard with lyrics that actually have some thought put into em and isn't throwing out n*gger and bitch constantly.

So as far as rap/hiphop music goes... this is the "deepest" thing I've heard yet.

Also, after I watched it I looked up the band and was surprised to find out how old it is... but according to Wikipedia the song only really got popular in April of this year so... yea.

Bodzilla
June 13th, 2008, 09:31 AM
So as far as rap/hiphop music goes... this is the "deepest" thing I've heard yet.

RQTM MQN.

Llama Juice
June 13th, 2008, 10:26 AM
^I fail at acronym game. So, I'm just going to try to pronounce that.

*lack of vowels makes it difficult*

Nope, still lost.

Corndogman
June 13th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I don't usually like rap/hip hop either, but this song is very different. The reason i don't like rap is because the lyrics are always crap and have no meaning at all.

yes the song is pretty old, but they re-recorded it (and it sounds much better) and put it on there new album.

http://www.purevolume.com/flobots

you can listen to the whole album there. there are two different versions of the song there, the old one and the new one that has (FWT) next to it. And like Mass said, listen to rise. "Never had it" is also a very good song.

rossmum
June 13th, 2008, 01:31 PM
It's a great song, and it makes some very good points about human nature. Kind of like Do The Evolution, really.

ExAm
June 13th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Yeah, but Do The Evolution isn't rap. I hate rap.

rossmum
June 13th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I hate most of it. Some is alright though.

Corndogman
June 13th, 2008, 06:53 PM
This isnt rap, this is rap with logic and meaning. Rap is the shit you hear on the radio about how some "gangsta" pimps his hoes and smokes weed.

Bodzilla
June 13th, 2008, 09:04 PM
^I fail at acronym game. So, I'm just going to try to pronounce that.

*lack of vowels makes it difficult*

Nope, still lost.
Dont worry, i dont understand what it says either.

I think it says RATM Man.
i had a big night last night :X

Mass
June 13th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I wish people wouldn't write off hip-hop as a genre. Pop and dance music is generally shit, guess what the vast majority of hip-hop you hear is going to be. Record execs also like to pick out the worst music they can still sell in this territory. There's some really good shit out there, usually the early stuff from big names is alright too.