PDA

View Full Version : Modifying/Hacking an Old Windows Game

Gamerkd16
June 24th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I have started playing this old game of mine that I used to play when I was younger: Glider 4.0 (http://homepage.mac.com/calhoun/Downloads.html). It's mainly used for the Mac but a Windows version was made as well. I want to be able to modify this game in someway. I've heard of a house editor (houses are the "map packs" that you can play in), but that's only for Macs. I've tried opening the house files in a Hex Editor. That doesn't work. I even tried to modify memory addresses with Cheat Engine. That didn't work either. Maybe there is a special way to find memory addresses of an old program? It's so old it uses wowexec.exe, which runs 16 bit processes. I've recently heard of resource editors, but is that what I would need? Maybe you guys have some ideas. I've tried looking online for help with this game, but it's too old (1994) to find anything useful.

Heathen
June 24th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Glider PRO for Mac OS X does not have a house editor (it was never ported to OS X). The Mac OS 9 version is still the only way to create new Glider PRO houses (sorry).

Sorry bro.

Patrickssj6
June 25th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Maybe you are using CheatEngine wrong..

I've tried opening the house files in a Hex Editor. That doesn't work.

I'm pretty sure it does work.

Limited
June 25th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Your probably looking for the wrong thing, you want to enable this house thing for PC?

Kornman00
June 25th, 2008, 10:34 AM
lol, 16bit games

Gamerkd16
June 25th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Sorry bro.
No, I knew that the editor (GliderEdit) worked for the Mac only. Getting a windows version of that is a lost cause. I wanted to know if there was a "substitute editor" I could use. This is why I brought up resource editors, hex, and cheat engine. I'm trying to think outside the box I guess.

Maybe you are using CheatEngine wrong..
I really do think I am using it wrong. Perhaps there is a different process for finding memory addresses of 16 bit games?
I have tried both searching for the exact number and searching for decreased numbers.

I'm pretty sure it does work.
Ok, yeah. It does work. I miswrote. It's just not that useful. Besides a few variables here and there, the rest is gibberish code.

lol, 16bit games
Yeah...gotta love them. Though for such an old game, it is quite fun and the graphics aren't too bad. I'd suggest it for anyone who is bored or needs some time to kill.

Limited
June 25th, 2008, 11:28 AM
What exactly are you trying to find the memory address of? i.e., a score? a level? what exactly :P

Gamerkd16
June 25th, 2008, 11:49 AM
What exactly are you trying to find the memory address of? i.e., a score? a level? what exactly :P
Score I really don't care about. Mainly the battery and the rubber bands. Maybe the level too.

I mean I've won every single house multiple times. I just want something new to mess with.

Limited
June 25th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I havent seen rubber bands yet :D I could probably make it so you dont lose lives. If this thing is patchable

Gamerkd16
June 25th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I havent seen rubber bands yet :D I could probably make it so you dont lose lives. If this thing is patchable
Oh yeah. Lives. That's another thing. Rubber bands are found very quickly in "Mad House" (MAD.GHS). Try playing that house.