PDA

View Full Version : Copyright issues..

Bastinka
July 7th, 2008, 05:43 PM
..So my dads a musician, and of course as every musician makes an album theres always bootlegs and free illegal copies.

'Bootleg' Site (Dad's Album):
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Franz+De+Byl

It's a sort of eBay / Limewire mix, and we've tried reaching the government for Legal Copyright issues on ic3.gov but in germany its hard, because it's in the US and your all the way here. When I come back to the US I can probably get further.

Any help regarding how to bust this guys balls or atleast kill the site and put the guy in debt would be appreciated!

I already know a lot of information on the creator and other site posters:

//////:: DOMAIN ADMINISTRATOR PERSONAL INFORMATION ::\\\\\\

Registrant:
Zink Media, Inc.
PMB #323
6663 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hw
Portland, Oregon 97225-1403
United States

Domain Name: DISCOGS.COM
Created on: 29-Aug-00
Expires on: 29-Aug-16
Last Updated on: 01-Aug-07

Administrative Contact:
Lewandowski, Kevin [/URL]

Zink Media, Inc.
PMB #323
6663 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hw
Portland, Oregon 97225-1403
United States
5038923048 Fax --

Domain servers in listed order:
NS14.ZONEEDIT.COM
NS16.ZONEEDIT.COM
NS6.ZONEEDIT.CO.UK

Used [URL]http://whois.domaintools.com (http://www.domaintools.com/registrant-search/?and[]=80a5869ebfc5cdb720cec2d4e2b491b6) to find this info.

I have submitted multiple complaints on ic3.gov to get their attention, but I'm in serious doubts about anything happening.

It's also an online community such as this, but illegal.

My dad has recorded all information of these people, but I just started to hear about this and help him. Now we have complete information about the owner and further users.

Here is a recorded 'thread' or discussion in .pdf format if any of you want to read it PM me for a link.

This is actually pretty serious, so I would really appreciate no shitposts.

Limited
July 7th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Why has one of the album covers got 2 naked men on?

Member agrees: (1) to comply with US law regarding the transmission of technical data exported from the United States through the Service; (2) not to use the Service for illegal purposes; (3) not to interfere or disrupt networks connected to the Service; and (4) to comply with all regulations, policies and procedures of networks connected to the Service.

14. VIOLATIONS
To report violations of the TOS, please use the Support Request Form (http://www.discogs.com/support) and select the Abuse option. To expediate the processing of your report, please include as many details as possible about the violation.
To report copyright infringement, please follow the instructions at Notice and Procedure for Making Claims of Copyright Infringement (http://www.discogs.com/help/copyright)

Have you filed a report with the site/ emailed the site and asked for it to be removed?

Monopoly
July 7th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Why has one of the album covers got 2 naked men on?

Fight's the urge to shitpost :(

Is this causing a financial detriment to your family?

Bastinka
July 7th, 2008, 06:01 PM
About a 2,000+ US Dollar loss (From Discogs) and he told me a story about how he tried to stop everyone from selling his first LP, because it brought back really bad and depressing times. Something on the lines of that, it's not of my understanding but as a US Citizen I feel the need to help my dad.

Rob Oplawar
July 7th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I hate to say it, but music piracy is not something that will ever go away, not that it shouldn't. To paraphrase one industry expert whose name I forget, "If you can listen to it, you can pirate it." And if people can, then they will.

Now, I'm not a professional musician, so I may be totally ignorant on the subject, but in my humble opinion I think that musicians should not waste time complaining about people who download their music without paying for it but instead celebrate that their music is popular enough that people will go through the trouble of uploading it online. You shouldn't complain about the rain, you should realize that you can't control it and that it actually has plenty to like about it.
Not to insult, but unless you're U2 your income should not be based solely on album sales.

What I'm trying to say is, the digital age has made the classic music business model obsolete and that if you can't make money off of it, trying to sue your fans is less helpful than finding a more modern way of earning money.

Please don't take this as any insult; I respect any musician talented enough to have their album be pirated. Unfortunately, to be successful in any industry such as this, it requires as much luck as skill, and it may not be possible for your dad to obtain reliable income from it. I hope your dad works this out without fruitlessly suing and disillusioning his fans and instead finds a way to keep sharing his music with whoever wants to listen.

PenGuin1362
July 7th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I'd help but it'd be hypocritical of me >_>.

Amit
July 7th, 2008, 08:11 PM
I'd help but it'd be hypocritical of me >_>.

WTF? :gtfo:

Dr Nick
July 7th, 2008, 08:16 PM
WTF? :gtfo:
At least he's honest.

And if the guy lives in the US, and is hosting the website in the US, then they should eventually get to him and shut him down. You just need to have patience.

Bodzilla
July 7th, 2008, 09:42 PM
dont mean to be rude but to me the understanding of why a record is produced, is to make the record company money and help spread awareness for up comming tours. :/

Heathen
July 7th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Take it as a compliment with a mean spin to it.

"Yeah. The music is awesome.

Awesome enough for me to want to own it!

Money? Pfft. Why buy the cow when I can get the music for free?"