PDA

View Full Version : 3ds max for other games

PopeAK49
July 12th, 2008, 03:09 PM
well the only game i know that used 3ds max as the main level modeling tool is halo ce, and i was wondering if there are game other than halo ce that use 3ds max to create maps.

Ki11a_FTW
July 12th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Unreal, thats all i can think of right now

SnaFuBAR
July 12th, 2008, 04:04 PM
wrong section.

MMFSdjw
July 12th, 2008, 10:48 PM
A large number of games use 3dsmax for levels but it varies on how much they use it.
In Unreal, for example, you create static meshes in max but it also uses brushes made in unrealed and it's possible to create a map with no meshes at all.
I think the levels in the Decent games were made in max, I could be wrong though.

I'm sure there are others that create their maps entirely in max but I don't know for certain.

legionaire45
July 12th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Many games have their own level editors (eg. Unreal 3 based games, Source engine based games, Cryengine 2, etc.) and do not use the setup that Halo uses. However, almost every game out there lets you use a modeling app like 3DS to make weapons/props so you can always use 3DS for that. Extending that last example to level design is possible as well, as demonstrated by the Black Mesa Source team here (http://www.blackmesasource.com/devblog.php?subaction=showcomments&id=1206544129&archive=&start_from=&ucat=2&).

Zeph
July 12th, 2008, 11:18 PM
As long as there's an exporter for it, you can use Max for any game.

Each engine modacity is currently supporting can use Max in some way or another.

Moved to tech heaven.

Tweek
July 13th, 2008, 12:53 PM
you can actually build your maps in unrealtournament 3 in the EXACT same way as in halo CE. (only you've got more freedom).

if you can map for Halo, you can map for ut3 (but itll be shitty)

just import your entire map as a staticmesh, and turn on per-poly collision. you've got more freedom with shaders, so you can alpha-blend like in halo, and you can also blend based on vertexcolour. (RGB, so 5 blends on 1 surface if you wanted to)

it'll work the same with importing material IDs, but if you do this, you SHOULD cut up your level in a good amount of seperate pieces, for culling. (no portals, just visibility-culling staticmeshes, you dont want your entire map rendered all the time)

PopeAK49
July 15th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Okay how about bf2142, counter strike source, and other modern warfare games?