PDA

View Full Version : Wanna buy a pocket bike....

Kalub
July 13th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Yea, I wanna buy a pocket bike for my nephew. I'm just curious, do any of you own one or know what to look for in them? All I have so far is an Ebay listing that looks like what I'm looking for and for a decent price. Is it a good quality make/model or what.... I have absolutely no clue....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=330250435652

Thanks for your feedback/advice

Heathen
July 13th, 2008, 04:38 AM
My uncle never bought me anything cool :gonk:

Bodzilla
July 13th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Dont.

Pocket bikes are a colossal and i mean COLOSAL waste of money, time and effort. They're unreliable, uncomfortable, have massive restrictions in terms of you being able to ride it and the extremly easy to damage and Very very hard to repair.

Don't.
Buy a little dirt bike instead, 4 times as much fun, i can guarantee it.

Heathen
July 13th, 2008, 04:46 AM
I actually kind of agree. The market for repair parts for a 50 is alot more than market for a tiny motorcycle.

Kalub
July 13th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Well, he has been on this whole crotch-rocket spree wanting everything from toy cars to well... real ones. He doesn't want a dirt bike, and he can ride the bike comfortably I'm sure. (He is only 9) But, what do you mean it has restrictions when you can ride it? If its anything like my KX-100 you should be able to do so when ever as long as you have gas right?

Bodzilla
July 13th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Restrictions such as your stuck to tarmac and thats it.

I dont know how pocket bikes are over in the US, but in Australia there seen as neither cars, nor bikes. So basically you cant ride them on foot paths because it's deemed as a vehicle, and you cant get them registered because there not deemed as a bike.

They're novelties and thats it.
And a pocket bike seems like an awfully generous gift to begin with. :/

Heathen
July 13th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Well I think you can use them on bike paths here in the US.

Kalub
July 13th, 2008, 04:59 AM
I'm an awesome uncle.

Anyways, being contained to asphalt is fine, its what I expected, and either way we don't have much enforcement against them here. Most of the time if I'm caught on the road with my bike (even though I shouldnt be on the road) all I get told to do is go home or go somewhere else.

Anyways, do you think that 50cc is too much for him? I'm pretty sure he will just jump on it cautiously, but then go daredevil and hurt himself -- Can you instate a governor or throttle limiter or sorts?

Tweek
July 13th, 2008, 05:06 AM
why would you want a pocket bike?

Llama Juice
July 13th, 2008, 07:18 AM
My midget neighbor has a pocket bike.

Yes, it is very very funny to see him ride it.

Heathen
July 13th, 2008, 08:09 AM
:picsorstfu:

Llama Juice
July 13th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I would... but.. do you have any idea how mean that would be? lmao

Especially since my "camera" is my laptop's webcam... it wouldn't be candid at all lol

itszutak
July 13th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Oh god. Did anyone look at the ebay page yet?

Someone forgot the first <.

And it's a mess from there D:

On topic: I don't know how your area is, but around where I live, you aren't allowed to drive or ride anything with a motor (Including electric scooters) unless you are over 15. Have you made sure he'd be allowed to ride the bike?:eyesroll:

InnerGoat
July 13th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I'm an awesome uncle.

Anyways, do you think that 50cc is too much for him? I'm pretty sure he will just jump on it cautiously, but then go daredevil and hurt himself -- Can you instate a governor or throttle limiter or sorts?

Look for a Honda XR 50, I know they can. Street pocket bikes... lmao

Apoc4lypse
July 13th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I'd say these are novelties to anyone too big to ride them XD, but a very generous gift to a kid XD I wish someone bought me one of these things when I was little rofl...

The thing is after he grows out of it, or more than likely breaks it, it won't be of any use anymore.

Thats just my opinion, I have no real experience with them... I wanna purchase a motocross bike eventually though (my dads friend owns a lot of land nearby, so I'd have somewhere to go...)

Kalub
July 13th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Well, in my garage I have a RM-250, a KX-100, a Honda 185 (Old road bike), and a three wheeler.... And he likes to ride the 100 when he comes over but he is more into the Street bikes. Umm, like I said there isn't much enforcement where I live on anything of the sort so I think he is ok to ride it. And if he grows out of it, I'll drive it :awesome:....

OK so since I don't really trust e-bay on these things -- anyone got a better site for around the same price?