PDA

View Full Version : Halo Wars : "5 Long Years"

teh lag
July 14th, 2008, 03:24 PM
http://www.halowars.com/default.aspx

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/9/5/29513e72-9c85-43e2-968b-bd94a7b694e3/Halo_Wars_ratedNYR_360p30_ST_1500kbps.wmv - Low
http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/5/8/85845cfd-6193-4b44-b8cd-04c18e5b995a/Halo_Wars_ratedNYR_720p30_ST_6300kbps.wmv - Medium
http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/f/e/8fe0d1db-f747-4c4d-8e38-9cdaca427ca1/Halo_Wars_ratedNYR_720p30_51_6500kbps.wmv - High

Looked around and didn't see anyone posting this, thought it might be of interest.

http://www.halowars.com/Galleries/Screenshots.aspx - There's also a plethora of new screenies there. I'm having mixed reactions; some parts of this game look ok, others not so much. Some of the designs for stuff are just ew, while others like the (Is this even a spoiler?) Forerunner architecture and Covies are more or less good, except the Scarab. They butchered the Scarab.

E : Also hating how they've got the colors for each side set up.

E2 : Needless to say, if you want to remain completely in the dark about this game, spoilers.

PlasbianX
July 14th, 2008, 03:39 PM
WTF:

http://www.halowars.com/images/screenshots/screenshots_1280_022.jpg

Are those mobile suits I see in that screen?!

Rentafence
July 14th, 2008, 03:39 PM
The fuck? Apparently the UNSC has battlemechs. Look in the bottom left
http://halowars.com/images/screenshots/wallpaper.aspx?s=screenshots_1280_021.jpg

E- HIVEMIIIIIIIIIIIND

Zeph
July 14th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Humans need something to counter the hunter. An exoskeleton suit would work out just the same.

Terin
July 14th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Maybe it's one of the earlier Mjolnir armors. Weren't those really huge and had to be charged up for a really long time?

Roostervier
July 14th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Maybe it's one of the earlier Mjolnir armors. Weren't those really huge and had to be charged up for a really long time?
No, they had to be plugged in at all times. I don't think it's earlier mjolnir armour.

DaneO'Roo
July 14th, 2008, 04:56 PM
http://www.halowars.com/images/screenshots/screenshots_1280_019.jpg

mmmmmmmmmm thats good design :)

ICEE
July 14th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I hate how pink everything covenant is.

adumass
July 14th, 2008, 05:04 PM
This is looking better, but I just don't like some of the human vehicles, like the ones with the rockets on them. http://www.halowars.com/images/screenshots/wallpaper.aspx?s=screenshots_1280_015.jpg

Sever
July 14th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I hate how pink everything covenant is.It will only be pink if you choose to play as pink, or against someone who chooses pink. that's how team colors work. K?

TeeKup
July 14th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Those suits of armor look like the bastard child of space marines from warhammer and terran marine from star craft. wtf.

Con
July 14th, 2008, 05:32 PM
A lot of this doesn't look very halo-ey.

Masterz1337
July 14th, 2008, 06:38 PM
The fuck? Apparently the UNSC has battlemechs. Look in the bottom left
http://halowars.com/images/screenshots/wallpaper.aspx?s=screenshots_1280_021.jpg

E- HIVEMIIIIIIIIIIIND
This is new to you? It was in game informet like, 2 months ago.

Rentafence
July 14th, 2008, 06:43 PM
This is new to you? It was in game informet like, 2 months ago.

Too bad I don't read game informer. :haw:

teh lag
July 14th, 2008, 06:47 PM
http://halowars.com/images/screenshots/wallpaper.aspx?s=screenshots_1280_013.jpg

Ew ew EW those human flying things on the right are ugly.

Also, noticing the human mechs more... I hope the two sides won't be effective clones of each other, with only minor differences (see : warcraft 2) between them. I'd hate to see humans and covies depicted as having a counter for everything.

Terin
July 14th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Well, lots of liberties will need to be taken, seeing as the Covenant pretty much annihilate any human forces unless they having overwhelming numbers. Maybe the UNSC will be the Zerg of Halo Wars, cheap and many, while the covenant will be the protoss, expensive but powerful...

KEKEKEKE ODST RUSH

Disaster
July 14th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I'm pretty sure it has to have a counter for everything because if your facing off on xbox live, the covies would have a big advantage and would be unfair.

Heathen
July 14th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I hate the coloring idea. Ew.

teh lag
July 14th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I'm pretty sure it has to have a counter for everything because if your facing off on xbox live, the covies would have a big advantage and would be unfair.

The thing is, you don't need an analogous counter for every unit to have a balanced game. The Hunter and UNSC Mecha thing look virtually identical, with the possible exception that the mech doesn't look like it has ranged abilities. The Zerg in SC don't have a direct analog to say, the Protoss Carrier - you have the Scourge to deal with fliers like that. I could easily see the UNSC, as Terin said, as a quick rush-attack force, but considering that they have a unit that's clearly meant to be the equivalent of the hunter, I don't think we'll be seeing that kind of variety.

Disaster
July 14th, 2008, 07:00 PM
The thing is, you don't need an analogous counter for every unit to have a balanced game. The Hunter and UNSC Mecha thing look virtually identical, with the possible exception that the mech doesn't look like it has ranged abilities.
Thats true. Hopefully it won't be a direct counter.

thehoodedsmack
July 14th, 2008, 07:02 PM

He means that power shouldn't be distributed such as:

Grunt = Marine
Jackal = ODST
Elite = Spartan
Hunter = Mech
Ghost = Warthog
Wraith = Scorpion
etc...

Of course there will be a counter for everything, but not in such a simplistic sense.

E: LAAAAAAAAG!!!

Hotrod
July 14th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Well, this is one of the best looking RTS games that I have seen so far, and I'm just about the watch the video, so I'll comment on that after I watch it.

Darqeness
July 14th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I agree with the colouring. The first video demo had all the Covenant units in their normal colours (blue Elites, orange Grunts, violet Banshees, Ghosts etc). I reckon it should be one colour for a whole faction in multiplayer but keep the real colouring for campaign.

Otherwise I reckon it looks like the best RTS I've seen for a while.

Heathen
July 14th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I agree in every sense of the word. I think red vs blue is ok for multiplayer, but multipurpose purple is not the most delicious color for a fleet...

Hotrod
July 14th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I reckon it should be one colour for a whole faction in multiplayer but keep the real colouring for campaign.
That's how it is, Bungie wouldn't let them mess up like that.

I watched the video, and it was great, though there's one thing that I didn't like.
The Covenant ships didn't look right, they weren't smooth like the other ones. Then again, it is 21 years before the other Halo games.

Atty
July 14th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I want a movie made in the same way these trailers have been, every (the two?) Halo Wars trailer I've seen was amazing. Do want movie with same awesome.

Con
July 14th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I don't like how the warthogs handle in the gameplay videos. They move like little RC trucks with stupidly fast acceleration.

Heathen
July 14th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I thought the same. I was like ":gonk: maybe he should tell him not to do that on tv" when I saw it on XPlay.

And with the Movie thing....I thought the same as I watched the trailer in surround on a 64 inch tv. I was like :D

jngrow
July 14th, 2008, 08:42 PM
I want a movie made in the same way these trailers have been, every (the two?) Halo Wars trailer I've seen was amazing. Do want movie with same awesome.
I agree very much. Coloring looks kind of weird, and some of the human vehicles look horrible, along with the Scarab. A lot of it looks very good though, and the environments are pretty impressive.

PenGuin1362
July 14th, 2008, 08:52 PM

I agree. when the fuck they gunna realize a halo movie would be epic.

Anyway, I've been playing RTS's ever since the original command and conquer. So typically, I enjoy them. And while I don't like a few of the vehicles they've made I'm still very much looking forward to this. Also, for an RTS, the artwork is beautiful.

Heathen
July 14th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I agree very much. Coloring looks kind of weird, and some of the human vehicles look horrible, along with the Scarab. A lot of it looks very good though, and the environments are pretty impressive.

They are horrible. They are crappy looking because they are virtually 20+ years obsolete.

Hotrod
July 14th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I spy with my little eye a Prophet in between two Wraiths : http://www.halowars.com/images/screenshots/wallpaper.aspx?s=screenshots_1280_015.jpg

Heathen
July 14th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I saw that too. Perhapse he gives different command abilities to the covenant user because he wouldn't be much help in batte.

The_Wraith
July 14th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Anyone else hating how the UNSC are ridiculously green and everything Covenant is ridiculously purple-pink? Where's my red Elites and orange Grunts?!

And the UNSC use olive drab, not fucking forest green.

Also, if they can accomplish such amazing CG trailers for games like these, how can they not translate that into a feature length? It's not like funding would be a problem for a franchise like Halo. Studios would eat up the chance to get that out.

DaneO'Roo
July 14th, 2008, 09:35 PM
^ uh, it's the colour scheme, idiot. You can't be "teal covenant" with red and orange grunts. That wouldn't make any fucking sense.

Hotrod
July 14th, 2008, 09:39 PM
That's what you call multiplayer, every unit on the same team will be the same color.

Heathen
July 14th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Anyone else hating how the UNSC are ridiculously green and everything Covenant is ridiculously purple-pink? Where's my red Elites and orange Grunts?!

And the UNSC use olive drab, not fucking forest green.

Also, if they can accomplish such amazing CG trailers for games like these, how can they not translate that into a feature length? It's not like funding would be a problem for a franchise like Halo. Studios would eat up the chance to get that out.

Way to say what we all JUST said.

Corndogman
July 14th, 2008, 10:30 PM
The environments look pretty awesome(forerunner,human,covie,terrain) but some of the other stuff is just really ugly. Mainly just the human vehicles look like crap for the most part, some of the covies dont look that great either. MUST FIX.

legionaire45
July 14th, 2008, 10:38 PM
I think it would have been better if they managed the unit coloration in some other way because right now the gaudy single colors are just weird looking. Doing something as simple as toning the colors down would help - hell, maybe even just adding/implementing some kind of decorator (eg. strips of paint, flags, detail color type things, etc.) in the color of the team to each unit would help.

I really like the architecture though, especially the forerunner stuff. They stayed pretty true to Halo 3 with that and yet it's distinct enough to be different. Same with the Covie and UNSC stuff. However, I don't think that a lot of the new UNSC vehicles fit, especially the boxy pelican type thing (unless that is the Albatross or something). Some of it seems thrown in there just so that they can have more units on each side. The prophet sitting there (I'm assuming he is leading the Covenant forces or something) is also a bit odd but I guess that the Covenant troops stationed in that screenshot were defending him from a UNSC attack or something. I don't think a prophet would be a very capable combat unit if they are staying true to the story.

One thing that seems kind of odd is how much forerunner stuff is just exposed to the outside world. I would think that colonists on the planet with the level of colonization demonstrated in Contact: Harvest would have noticed the strange alien ruins on their planet. Perhaps the forerunner scenes don't take place on Harvest or something like that.

Heathen
July 14th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Like hotrod has been trying to say, its just in multiplayer to have all the same colors.

The_Wraith
July 14th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Hmm the posters here are almost as vicious as Gearbox (<3). Well done and excuse me for not knowing the every intricacy of a game that is unreleased and basing my seemingly agreed upon opinion that the color palette is lacking on a few screenshots. :lol:

Warsaw
July 14th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Bad console RTSes are bad.

I'm not going to repeat what's been said already, because I agree with it. What I will say is that this game effectively destroys the original feel of the Haloverse. What made Halo so awesome in the first place was that it was semi-realistic, making it believable. The Scarab was the first blow to this image, and then the Hornet and these new vehicles just further detract from it.

Also, the "mechs" are most likely the early powered combat suits. They didn't have to necessarily be plugged in. They could also be powered via broadcast power, however, that was unreliable (as stated in Fall of Reach). However, even though they could be and are considered canon in this game, I don't think they belong. Those suits were relegated to extreme load lifting and Spartan training duties.

Also, for the record, UNSC forces were not torn to pieces by the Covenant on the ground as badly as they were in space. Provided they had good command, they could hold their own against them, especially if they had .50 cal, Rocket Launchers, and Sniper Rifles at their disposal. Troops armed with the BR55 were also more effective, and I am going to assume that the BR55 is the main weapon given to the typical marine in Halo Wars.

My two cents.

Edit: I do like how they brought back the original dropship (which is logical, now that I think about it). It has a much more Covenant feel than the horror that was the Phantom.

The_Wraith
July 14th, 2008, 11:54 PM
The discrepancy between the first dropship (Spirit, I guess) and the Phantom are best explained that the Covenant operations on Halo were originally scientific expeditionary forces meant to take control of Halo (They weren't expecting the PoA to crash the party). The Phantom is the Covenant's heavy dropship meant for combat hot-drops which makes sense since the fighting in the other two games are more official, organized, and strategic battles between the UNSC and Covenant forces.

Pooky
July 15th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Also, noticing the human mechs more... I hope the two sides won't be effective clones of each other, with only minor differences (see : warcraft 2) between them.

Oh, you mean like they already are?

Seriously, it's been like that since Halo 2 (SMG = plasma rifle, carbine = battle rifle, Sniper = beam rifle, and so on), and I'm sick of it.

What's wrong with having very different yet balanced sides (like Starcraft)?

I agree with some of the above people that the UNSC should play like the Imperial Guard, winning by sheer weight of numbers. Though they don't have Baneblades or Titans which hurts them a bit.

Hotrod
July 15th, 2008, 12:21 AM
I read in an interview that the Cyclops (the mech things) were created for lifting heavy equipment, and not for battle. However, when the Covenant attacked, they used everything possible to defend themselves. Due to the fact that the Cyclops was powerful enough to lift heavy gear, it could also smash stuff with enough efficiency. So, they used it as a weapon.

Heathen
July 15th, 2008, 12:25 AM
...that IS true to story you know. Didn't anyone read The Fall of Reach? They were the precursor to the MJOLNIR program. And I agree with you Pooky.

Botolf
July 15th, 2008, 01:56 AM
Looks very promising.

Heathen
July 15th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Pardon my ignorance but wasn't the first time the humans encountered forerunner architecture at halo?
Noob said that in another thread, but hold on....I see some problems here. We see them in forerunner terrain....but this is a prequel...

How does that work out?

More reason to believe that all the footage we have seen is from MP.

The_Wraith
July 15th, 2008, 06:06 AM
No. The first forerunner tech found by man wasn't Halo 04, though it was the largest and most impressive pieces of forerunner technology they found thus far. Remember that crystal in Cote d'Azure (Capital of Sigma Octanus IV)? They find other stuff too, glyphs and the like on several worlds. Don't forget Onyx.

Heathen
July 15th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Right....I forgot about the crystal (only one I recognised since thats the only book I have read. Shh..on the details.)

But still, it shows them having battles on forerunner landscapes....thats inaccurate right?

DaneO'Roo
July 15th, 2008, 09:01 AM
I wonder when they're going to show the flood teams. THAT would be interesting to see how they pull that off.

Heathen
July 15th, 2008, 09:10 AM
No flood. Sorry. Flood weren't introduced till Halo 1.

Botolf
July 15th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Right....I forgot about the crystal (only one I recognised since thats the only book I have read. Shh..on the details.)

But still, it shows them having battles on forerunner landscapes....thats inaccurate right?
Going by the information in the video, the Covenant were present on Harvest with the humans for five years, that's more than enough time to excavate Forerunner constructions and whatnot with their countless Scarabs.

Hotrod
July 15th, 2008, 10:38 AM
According to one of the interviews I read, they will have extra areas in multiplayer that you don't see in single player, such as Halos, and planets covered in Forerunner artifacts.

Also, no amount of time would have let the Covenant find some Forerunner artifacts on Harvest, because there weren't any on that planet.

TeeKup
July 15th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Is anyone else confused as to why Halogen's units had significantly more detailing than a fully funded studio?

Botolf
July 15th, 2008, 11:23 AM
According to one of the interviews I read, they will have extra areas in multiplayer that you don't see in single player, such as Halos, and planets covered in Forerunner artifacts.

Also, no amount of time would have let the Covenant find some Forerunner artifacts on Harvest, because there weren't any on that planet.
Does Contact Harvest specifically deny the presence of any Forerunner artifacts and buildings on Harvest? Because if all of it's buried, it can be uncovered just like it was on Earth.

Hotrod
July 15th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Well, the only symboles that were shown on the Covenant's thing (the one that shows Forerunner artifacts and stuff) were the ones of the reclaimers, which they thought were artifacts. There weren't any that showed other stuff. If there was buried artifacts, they would have shown up.

PenGuin1362
July 15th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Is anyone else confused as to why Halogen's units had significantly more detailing than a fully funded studio?

.....Dedication?

Botolf
July 15th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Well, the only symboles that were shown on the Covenant's thing (the one that shows Forerunner artifacts and stuff) were the ones of the reclaimers, which they thought were artifacts. There weren't any that showed other stuff. If there was buried artifacts, they would have shown up.
It's possible that the Forerunners didn't leave clues to every last structure in the object you're referring to, is it not?

TeeKup
July 15th, 2008, 11:55 AM
.....Dedication?

Exactly, thats why Halogen was better than this crap.

Masterz1337
July 15th, 2008, 12:04 PM
You can't really say that. None of the screenshots have really shown off the models close up.

Hotrod
July 15th, 2008, 02:17 PM
It's possible that the Forerunners didn't leave clues to every last structure in the object you're referring to, is it not?
Well, I guess we'll have to wait until Halo Wars is released to find out. You do know that Halo Wars isn't only on Harvest, right? It's on a bunch of other planets as well.

Botolf
July 15th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Well, I guess we'll have to wait until Halo Wars is released to find out. You do know that Halo Wars isn't only on Harvest, right? It's on a bunch of other planets as well.
Yea, I know, just offering a differing opinion is all :p

Con
July 15th, 2008, 03:03 PM
^ uh, it's the colour scheme, idiot. You can't be "teal covenant" with red and orange grunts. That wouldn't make any fucking sense.
I would have preferred team-specific colour accenting on the units, noticeable but not overwhelming.

I saw that too. Perhapse he gives different command abilities to the covenant user because he wouldn't be much help in batte.
Yeah, maybe. I never thought the profits would go into combat but I guess they needed more variety of units.

FireDragon04
July 15th, 2008, 03:38 PM
People need to give Halo Wars a chance as well, Seeing lots of Hands on footage and demos now, i really think Ensemble have pulled something off which is pretty special, and this trailer was a beautiful shout out to what i really wish a Halo (None Master Chief) game looked like.

Botolf
July 15th, 2008, 09:02 PM
People need to give Halo Wars a chance as well, Seeing lots of Hands on footage and demos now, i really think Ensemble have pulled something off which is pretty special, and this trailer was a beautiful shout out to what i really wish a Halo (None Master Chief) game looked like.

The harsh judgment in here is nothing short of baffling.

Hotrod
July 15th, 2008, 09:15 PM
I find myself agreeing with OldDragon, Halo Wars does seem like something pretty special, and as the first non-Master Chief Halo game, I think it will succeed quite well.

Warsaw
July 16th, 2008, 04:57 PM
No. The first forerunner tech found by man wasn't Halo 04, though it was the largest and most impressive pieces of forerunner technology they found thus far. Remember that crystal in Cote d'Azure (Capital of Sigma Octanus IV)? They find other stuff too, glyphs and the like on several worlds. Don't forget Onyx.

They found rocks with Forerunner glyphs in Cote d'Azure. The "random" coordinates Cortana used to escape Reach just prior to Halo: Combat Evolved were not random at all. She had deciphered the glyphs and had found them to be spatial coordinates. The crystal you are thinking about was found deep inside Reach, under Castle Mountain.

Both the crystal (and Forerunner chambers) on Reach and Onyx were discovered after the first game.

Pooky
July 16th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Yeah, maybe. I never thought the profits would go into combat but I guess they needed more variety of units.

Well... they do have a complete invincibility shield and dual gold fuel rod guns :S

thehoodedsmack
July 16th, 2008, 05:36 PM
If memory serves, the Covenant was originally founded by Elites fighting Prophets, and them deciding on a truce. So logically, the Prophets must have something worthwhile for fighting, if they could manage to stalemate a race like the Elites. maybe they'd use Forerunner tech or something.

Pooky
July 16th, 2008, 06:04 PM
If memory serves, the Covenant was originally founded by Elites fighting Prophets, and them deciding on a truce. So logically, the Prophets must have something worthwhile for fighting, if they could manage to stalemate a race like the Elites. maybe they'd use Forerunner tech or something.

I thought the Prophets convinced the Elites that they could find the key to eternal salvation, and wanted protection while they did so.

thehoodedsmack
July 16th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Whatever it was, they were fighting to begin with.

Warsaw
July 16th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Well... they do have a complete invincibility shield and dual gold fuel rod guns :S cheap h4x

ftfy

Heathen
July 16th, 2008, 09:40 PM
They do have those rad ass chairs.

The_Wraith
July 16th, 2008, 11:23 PM
If memory serves, the Covenant was originally founded by Elites fighting Prophets, and them deciding on a truce. So logically, the Prophets must have something worthwhile for fighting, if they could manage to stalemate a race like the Elites. maybe they'd use Forerunner tech or something.The Prophets were getting their asses kicked groundside. Only reason the Elites had to sweat was that the Prophets started using the Forerunner Dreadnought, which had unparalleled space superiority over the Elite fleets. :cool:

They found rocks with Forerunner glyphs in Cote d'Azure. The "random" coordinates Cortana used to escape Reach just prior to Halo: Combat Evolved were not random at all. She had deciphered the glyphs and had found them to be spatial coordinates. The crystal you are thinking about was found deep inside Reach, under Castle Mountain.

Both the crystal (and Forerunner chambers) on Reach and Onyx were discovered after the first game.The excavation site on Onyx was present before Kurt was sent there. Humans had found various pieces of Forerunner evidence long before Installation 04 was found. In fact as I read, the Forerunner site on Onyx were found in 2511; first contact with the Covenant was in 2525.

Rob Oplawar
July 17th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Optimization. It's an RTS. You're gonna have fifty bajillion units onscreen at one time.

I think this game looks promising, but we should reserve judgment until we get a change to actually play it.

I like the visuals. They work for an RTS. It's not bad for a game to be colorful and visually interesting.

And I have to say, I love the way the warthogs drive around. I love that they implemented a physics system for them so instead of mechanically following the terrain they bounce and skid and launch just like they did in Halo 1. Props, Ensemble. ;)

Hunter
July 17th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Why do Microsoft fuck stuff up?

Halo does not look good like this, it should be FPS not this shit. The first trailer they showed was all a render, why show something looking so realistic and then make it into a game looking nothing like it?

343guiltymc
July 17th, 2008, 12:17 PM

Halo does not look good like this, it should be FPS not this shit. The first trailer they showed was all a render, why show something looking so realistic and then make it into a game looking nothing like it?
Does the CG trailer have to look like the game itself, it's just a trailer.

Hunter
July 17th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I find it pointless to make a game trailer looking realistic if it doesn't actually look like that. I mean, what is the point?

You might as well put a episode of fucking "Teletubbies" on and then as the end put HaloWars text on. Lol.

Botolf
July 17th, 2008, 12:30 PM

CG Trailers are target renders now? Dude, you blew my mind.

Pooky
July 17th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I find it pointless to make a game trailer looking realistic if it doesn't actually look like that. I mean, what is the point?

You might as well put a episode of fucking "Teletubbies" on and then as the end put HaloWars text on. Lol.

You are extremely closed minded.

Somehow I don't think all your friends are going to accuse you of having tiny testicles if you play a game that has more than 3 main colors. You're no better than the people who whined about Wind Waker being shit just on its graphics but never actually played it.

Arteen
July 17th, 2008, 02:01 PM

Halo does not look good like this, it should be FPS not this shit.
I see no reason why every single Halo game needs to be an FPS.

Mass
July 17th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I don't understand the nit picking going on here, looks pretty good to me.

Also, unit-for-unit imbalance wouldn't be bad in single player, as the principle advantage the humans have is tactics and resourcefulness, I think some cool human abilities reflecting these would be better than inventing new units. For instance, a full map to reflect terrain familiarity, a quick health regeneration closer to the object being defended for the quality of the last stand, and more alerts of activities to reflect the more cooperative nature of human communications plus the ability to crack codes. Stuff like that would better reflect the capabilities of the UNSC, in my opinion.

Heathen
July 17th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I see no reason why every single Halo game needs to be an FPS.

I can agree with this. That pisses me off. These close minded people are what birthed homophobes... :/

p0lar_bear
July 18th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Halo does not look good like this, it should be FPS not this shit.

You DO realize that Halo started as a Macintosh RTS, and it became an XBox FPS due to Microsoft, right?

To everyone bitching about visuals: keep in mind what's going on here.

Halogen was capable of higher-detail models because PCs are expandable, with more memory, better graphics chipsets, etc. While the 360 is powerful, it's not a juggernaut; with the large number of units and buildings you could have on the map at any given time, optimization measures need to be taken. I doubt that anyone's gonna want to close-up on a unit on the field at any time to oggle at them.

I kind of like the unit highlighting scheme because of the position I'm in: all I have for a TV is a shitty old 20-or-so inch tube SDTV. In most 360 games I play, I have to struggle to read some HUD elements, and in a lot of cases I can't see shit because it's too low-res. Not everyone owns an HDTV nor can they just go out and buy one. Though, on the other hand, there should be an option for "realistic" unit coloring and highlighted coloring.

And keep in mind, the game is still WIP and THEY'RE NOT FINISHED YET.

Hunter
July 18th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Well.. that is MY opinion. And Rob Oplawar, was there really a need to bad rep me for giving my opinion? I had 99 points, Now ive got 98 :(

Chainsy
July 18th, 2008, 08:56 AM
The thing is, in all the concept art and even the trailer, they portrayed this as being darker and meaner then the original halo series. Now in all of these, I see clear weather in bright sunny enviroments, wheres all the fog and storms? Where are the crazy ass elites that tower over the humans? What I want to see is halo 3 graphics on the the soldiers and zoom in an watch them fight, they dont seem to have alot of detail right now. Maybe its just that the view is always so high up. I just overall expected a darker game.

MithosK
July 18th, 2008, 09:44 AM
The thing is, in all the concept art and even the trailer, they portrayed this as being darker and meaner then the original halo series. Now in all of these, I see clear weather in bright sunny enviroments, wheres all the fog and storms? Where are the crazy ass elites that tower over the humans? What I want to see is halo 3 graphics on the the soldiers and zoom in an watch them fight, they dont seem to have alot of detail right now. Maybe its just that the view is always so high up. I just overall expected a darker game.
Don't worry, you wont be dissapointed ;)

Masterz1337
July 18th, 2008, 11:39 AM

I wish I coudl -rep you for that, but you already said something else retarded today.

Halo BEGAN as an RTS, ES is now finishing Bungies original idea. Oh and MS fucked this up? I wasn't aware MS was a group of game devs.

Masterz1337
July 18th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Are you seriously retarded. Uou want fog and storms, on a game where you see EVERYTHING FROM THE SKY? The concept art and trailers were designed to portray environments and the scale of battle. The fact you expect to see halo 3 graphics, in a game where there can be HUNDREDS of characters doing things simaltaniously makes me seriously wonder about your intelligence.

I swear, some people should have their freedom of speech revoked.

Pooky
July 19th, 2008, 01:44 AM
I doubt that anyone's gonna want to close-up on a unit on the field at any time to oggle at them.

Actually, I do that all the time in Dawn of War. :eyesroll:

n00b1n8R
July 19th, 2008, 01:51 AM
Actually, I do that all the time in Dawn of War. :eyesroll:
^ and the DOW models are 20x uglier than anything that would be in HW.

Pooky
July 19th, 2008, 01:55 AM
^ and the DOW models are 20x uglier than anything that would be in HW.

open up dawn of war dark crusade\Local.ini and at the bottom add the line fullres_teamcolour=1

suddenly they'll seem a whole lot less ugly close up

n00b1n8R
July 19th, 2008, 02:26 AM
But my FPS isn't that great as it is D:

Heathen
July 19th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Ya polar. I would definitely do that. I did that with company of heroes...

Pooky
July 20th, 2008, 02:37 AM
But my FPS isn't that great as it is D:

Then I guess don't, because it's a massive performance hit :p

Heathen
July 20th, 2008, 11:57 AM
But this IS for xbox so FPS can go shit blood.

n00b1n8R
July 20th, 2008, 05:34 PM
But the model and texture detail is allready fairly high and considering the amount of activity that can go on onscreen, it's probably best to be conservative.

SnaFuBAR
July 21st, 2008, 03:07 AM
this looks way better than halogen. wth are you people talking about?

n00b1n8R
July 21st, 2008, 05:22 AM
What the hell is halogen?

thehoodedsmack
July 21st, 2008, 06:28 AM
What the hell is halogen?

A lightbulb.

:awesome:

n00b1n8R
July 21st, 2008, 06:32 AM
Wrong. It's a group 7 element. :eng101:

But no, what is it? :S

thehoodedsmack
July 21st, 2008, 06:34 AM
It was a mod for Command and Conquer. Basically, Halowars, but then they received an order to cease production for intellectual property infringement, so they could release Halowars.

nooBBooze
July 21st, 2008, 06:59 AM
this looks way better than halogen. wth are you people talking about?
Well HaloGen was still in early beta stages when it was butsecks'd.
also, it would have been for PC D_:

E: 800get

Bodzilla
July 22nd, 2008, 02:01 AM
Fan bois will bury this game.