PDA

View Full Version : Bungie Announcement Cancelled.

Stormwing
July 15th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Don't know if this should be here, but according to recent revelations...

http://www.bungie.net/
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11993165&postcount=373 EDIT 2:
Achronos, Stosh, Louis Wu, 1up, Joystiq, and Kotaku all confirm.
EDIT 3:
Luke was apparently supposed to go on the 1up podcast tomorrow. 1up sources say that's been cancelled as well.
Also HBO has been updated again.

god fucking dammit.

EDIT: People are still debating whether it's true or not (Publisher? posted at 7:00 on the dot? 12 hours before the end?) But I think Bungie's not the type to pull something like this....and Luke verifies it too. Don't hold your breath.

please remain calm, and keep this clean.:fail:
(SI comments are strangely appropriate)

EDIT 2 (pt 2):
Source code rumors that it was supposed to end at 12 are false. Site was updated at around 7:06 PM PST or so.

~100% CONFIRMED. Bungie will be a no-show @ E3 due to Microsoft fucking them over.~
No announcements in the foreseeable future.

Con
July 15th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Yeah, I just noticed that after coming home. LAME.

Heathen
July 15th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Aww....wtf. Idk....I was excited.

InnerGoat
July 15th, 2008, 09:38 PM
It's not the right time to announce :conspiracy: Not Halo 4! :raise:

Hotrod
July 15th, 2008, 09:41 PM
I don't think they can really cancel this at the last minute. I mean, if they were ready to announce something, and went through the trouble to get ready for E3, they probably had an announcement trailer done and all. So, I can't see why they would cancel now.

Zeph
July 15th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Hahaha, fucking nailed it in the sony conference chat today.

thehoodedsmack
July 15th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Hahaha, fucking nailed it in the sony conference chat today.

'Splain. What're these shenanigans all about?

samnwck
July 15th, 2008, 10:35 PM
I think they're bullshitting, who pulls away at the last second from one of the biggest gaming expo in North America.

Atty
July 15th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I call bullshit.

Apoc4lypse
July 15th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I call bullshit.

same... so whats the deal with the sony thing?

I thought I remembered there being some other tidbit in the viral campaign about the fact that we should "expect delays"

Heathen
July 15th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Hmm...do you really think? What benefit would they get by bullshitting....a little more hype? It threw off the coolness to go out of character with the big white notice over the neat countdown. It might not be exactly what the say, but its definitely not just for fun. Something really happened.

Saggy
July 15th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Wait, isn't Harold Ryan a Game Tester, not President?

BobtheGreatII
July 15th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I get the feeling that if everything was canceled, they would have resorted to the original site, with a news announcement. I detect shenanigans.

Atty
July 15th, 2008, 11:08 PM
I claim hacks.

Bungie was the hacks and now announces fakes, community uprising is a go!

PopeAK49
July 15th, 2008, 11:17 PM
awww fidel sticks...

Terin
July 15th, 2008, 11:18 PM
I call the truth. Multiple Bungie employees have confirmed it, and they put a very out of character, visible letter on the main page. They wouldn't bring up the standard B.net just yet, they want everyone to see the message.

Heathen
July 15th, 2008, 11:39 PM
maybe they will release a Halo 3 Editing Kit :haw:

...wait...no joke. Maybe thats what the recent crackdown on moddd maps was :lol:

Arteen
July 15th, 2008, 11:44 PM
I'd say it was the tru7h, but it was posted at 7:00 PM, which makes me doubtful of its veracity.

Darqeness
July 15th, 2008, 11:50 PM
With all the Bungie guys saying it's not a hoax, how do we know they're not just all in on it? Might just be wishful thinking but I say bullshit.

And if it was posted at exactly 7pm, it would appear as if it was scripted. Not to mention "7".

BobtheGreatII
July 15th, 2008, 11:54 PM
I'm sure there's some big secret we're just missing.

Stormwing
July 15th, 2008, 11:54 PM
With all the Bungie guys saying it's not a hoax, how do we know they're not just all in on it? Might just be wishful thinking but I say bullshit.

Somehow I think the community backlash against such a hoax would turn very ugly, very fast.
And when the company prides itself on its community and its community interaction, a fake like this and all the blatant lies that they have told would be just shooting themselves in the foot.

Multiple times.

And then in the head.

Terin
July 15th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Bungie probably just wanted to break the news on their trademark hour. 7:00 isn't always :conspiracy:, it's just their favorite number.

Kornman00
July 16th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Glad I didn't waste my time getting all pumped up in this crap

Wait, isn't Harold Ryan a Game Tester, not President?
he started off in that shit, then the douche bag pulled some strings and sucked some garden hoses...

Saggy
July 16th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Glad I didn't waste my time getting all pumped up in this crap

he started off in that shit, then the douche bag pulled some strings and sucked some garden hoses...
Oh, like a tampon thief.

Stormwing
July 16th, 2008, 01:24 AM
100% confirmed.

Marty's spoken.
http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=martypmproofcr2.jpg
MS has spoken.
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/16/microsofts-phil-spencer-on-bungies-missing-e3-announcement/

This is real, and they're as unhappy about it as we are.

Botolf
July 16th, 2008, 01:31 AM
So Microsoft just couldn't resist crapping on the fans again?

Bah.

DaneO'Roo
July 16th, 2008, 01:56 AM
Pretty sure Harold Ryan isn't the president of bungie, and aren't bungie their own publisher now?

Botolf
July 16th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Pretty sure Harold Ryan isn't the president of bungie, and aren't bungie their own publisher now?
He became president after the split, and Microsoft is still their publisher for the time being.

Phopojijo
July 16th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Bungie will never be their own publisher -- they just will remain independent.

It used to be that Microsoft would say "Make this game." Now it's more like Bungie saying "We're making this game... who wants to foot the bill?"

That being said they already have a multi-game deal with Microsoft I believe (3?) so we'll see at least SOME Bungie games coming to Microsoft.

It's like Gearbox... Gearbox makes games, and Sega, Ubisoft, etc. publish them.

Darqeness
July 16th, 2008, 03:24 AM
Not to mention if Bungie were to produce another Halo related project it would have to go through Microsoft since they own the Halo franchise after the split.

Rosco
July 16th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I call the truth. Multiple Bungie employees have confirmed it, and they put a very out of character, visible letter on the main page. They wouldn't bring up the standard B.net just yet, they want everyone to see the message.

Probably, especially when the front page was probably updated for the new announcement.

fatso784
July 16th, 2008, 12:36 PM
The fact that people would even consider Bungie to be "pulling their leg" is ridiculous in of itself. We all know how hard Bungie worked on their last game reveal trailer (Finish the Fight). Putting that in perspective, if Bungie was planning anything even close to how epic that reveal was, this makes Microsoft look like a bunch of money-grubbing assholes that have no respect for the time it takes to create these debut trailers. There's a reason Bungie split from Microsoft, and we're seeing that firsthand.

Oh and StormWing, mind putting an exclamation point in front of your sig? It'll reflect the mood. ;)

Atty
July 16th, 2008, 12:39 PM
You all do realize that there could be other reasons for why it was pulled?

Although I've got a sneaky feeling it was to not draw too much attention away from Microsoft's other publishing's (Gears 2, for instance) and give all of them enough hype, if Bungie had announced something, they'd more than likely steal the show. Microsoft isn't going to be stupid, they are going to want the game to get the most hype it can while still getting as much attention to their other games as they can. It's just good business but still, it hurts us.

JunkfoodMan
July 16th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Apparently, Microsoft's reason was that this E3 was about games/updates released this year (which is why there wasn't as much news on Halo Wars).

jngrow
July 16th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Haha, this was the first thing i checked out when I woke up this morning, just to find out it was canceled. :'(.

Hotrod
July 16th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Haha, this was the first thing i checked out when I woke up this morning, just to find out it was canceled. :'(.
Same...:(

Zeph
July 16th, 2008, 02:29 PM
'Splain. What're these shenanigans all about?

Old schoolers get together in a chat and watch the E3 press conference streams. I think we've done it the past three or four years now.

Zeph
July 16th, 2008, 02:39 PM

Although I've got a sneaky feeling it was to not draw too much attention away from Microsoft's other publishing's (Gears 2, for instance) and give all of them enough hype, if Bungie had announced something, they'd more than likely steal the show. Microsoft isn't going to be stupid, they are going to want the game to get the most hype it can while still getting as much attention to their other games as they can. It's just good business but still, it hurts us.

Session Start (Orphynsiaette:iAtty): Wed Jul 16 13:28:57 2008
[13:28:57] iAtty: o/
[13:29:07] iAtty: bungie no announce game, am sads
[13:29:07] OrphynSiaette: well that was scary
[13:29:17] iAtty: did you look at yourself naked again?
[13:29:22] iAtty: What did I tell you about doing that.
[13:29:25] OrphynSiaette: My uncle passed out and got a concussion or something
[13:29:29] iAtty: oshi
[13:29:30] iAtty: srsly?
[13:29:32] iAtty: :-(
[13:30:06] OrphynSiaette: yah, I'm just laying down in bed wanting the sun to go away and my aunt calls me and yells to run out to the garage cause he passed out and the ambulance was on its way.
[13:31:32] OrphynSiaette: Really sucks. He was loading a portable sound system into his truck for a kid's funeral that's about an hour away.
[13:31:45] iAtty: :-(
[13:31:59] OrphynSiaette: I'd be able to run it, but he didn't finish loading everything. I have no idea what else needs to be loaded, else I'd run it.
[13:32:22] iAtty: yeah
[13:33:46] OrphynSiaette: He's got the board, mics, and cables for the in and out. However, I dont know which boxes need to go for speakers, how to set up and run the power generator, or if there's any kinks that need to be worked around.
[13:34:04] iAtty: yeah, sound systems in cars are a pain.
[13:34:09] iAtty: hope he is fine
[13:34:31] OrphynSiaette: but oh, in the sony conference chat from yesterday, I fucking nailed it that bungie would end up not announcing anything and it would turn out to be a ruse.
[13:34:45] iAtty: why
[13:34:46] iAtty: how
[13:35:06] OrphynSiaette: yeah, he'll be fine. Just a concussion to his thick skull. The biggest damage is to his ego, and it was just fine.
[13:35:11] OrphynSiaette: Well
[13:44:00] OrphynSiaette: I said it'd be a ruse because first off, it's too soon for them to typically announce a game.
[13:44:12] OrphynSiaette: If they were going to announce something, it'd be a simple announcement.
[13:44:41] OrphynSiaette: second, Bungie is mostly open about what they do, but they're really secretive
[13:45:07] OrphynSiaette: They'll only talk about things people know, things that dont matter, and make big announcements for their games.
[13:46:16] OrphynSiaette: Third, E3 is winding down and not getting the press it used to. Announcing a title at E3 is a good idea, but they missed their chance by not having it take part of the MS conference.
[13:46:59] OrphynSiaette: Announcing it independent of Microsoft at E3 defeats the purpose of having the conference be closed.
[14:12:28] OrphynSiaette: Well THAT FUCKING SUCKED
[14:12:46] OrphynSiaette: had to clotheshangar my way into a truck and the alarm went off twice.
Session Close (iAtty): Wed Jul 16 14:18:09 2008
You're pretty much right. It's just not beneficial for Bungie to talk about their new game yet. It wasn't announced at the press conference because it wont be released before this holiday. If it's announced now, it'll draw hype but it'll lack punch when it's closer to launch. It'll essentially suffer what's starting to be known as Crysis Syndrome.

I know people might be upset by it, but the publisher made a good call. It also shows us what Bungie thinks of itself. They've let the move to an independent LLC get to their head. They need to remember that they make the game, not flaunt it. Considering their public talking about their reliance on advertisers, I'm surprised this happened.

blind
July 16th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Oh no a single game company not announcing another pointless sequel!
Whatever shall I do!

Heathen
July 16th, 2008, 09:45 PM
It was never confirmed to be a sequel to anything...

Agnaiel
July 16th, 2008, 10:04 PM
I'm honestly thinking that they just weren't ready for the announcement. Though, I haven't been able to get onto bungie.net lately, so I wouldn't know what's been going on over there lately.

The theory that the person Zeph was talking to has a point though. The announcement wouldn't be as much of a big thing independently as it would have if they did it during MS's thing. And MS probably didn't want people looking away from Gears 2.

BobtheGreatII
July 16th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I think they were ready. BNet says that they had a podcast and video ready... but can't show them now.

jngrow
July 16th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Man, if I was Bungie I'd be pissed. It's a lot of effort to get something ready for E3, and to have it up and canceled really sucks. Haha, earlier I said to my friend: "Regardless of what the announcement is, it will probably be a disappointment."

Haha, doesn't get any more disappointing then cancellation.

Corndogman
July 16th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Kinda seems like a stupid decision on M$'s part, There would have been much more excitement and more people would have heard of it if they were to announce it at E3, instead of releasing it on the internet.

jngrow
July 16th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Apparently, they want a more dedicated medium for this announcement. MS was already killing with GoW2, Fable 2, Live updates etc., and felt that a Bungie game would be overkill. They also were running low on time for the press conference. Save it for later. Still lame though.

343guiltymc
July 17th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Apparently, they want a more dedicated medium for this announcement. MS was already killing with GoW2, Fable 2, Live updates etc., and felt that a Bungie game would be overkill. They also were running low on time for the press conference. Save it for later. Still lame though.
Yeah, just look at the lack of PC love in E3. :(

Heathen
July 17th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I saw alot of PC love on E3...what did you watch?

343guiltymc
July 17th, 2008, 07:42 PM
http://news.filefront.com/e3-2008-bungies-new-halo-to-be-shown-at-a-dedicated-event/
Anybody seen this yet?

Heathen
July 17th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Cool.

Masterz1337
July 18th, 2008, 11:20 AM

lol, You're actually thinking in the total wrong direction.

MS had a good reason for this, and it actually makes alot of sense.

LinkandKvel
July 18th, 2008, 11:55 AM
lol, You're actually thinking in the total wrong direction.

MS had a good reason for this, and it actually makes alot of sense.

..........soooo..............gonna tell us what this reason is?

Masterz1337
July 18th, 2008, 11:59 AM
It's not my place to tell you.

Hotrod
July 18th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Well, think about it. This way, people will see more of the other games, and buy them. Since this new game will have it's own event, there won't be other games there to lose attention, and they can show more of this as well.

Sure, it might sound stupid, but it makes sense.

343guiltymc
July 18th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Well, think about it. This way, people will see more of the other games, and buy them. Since this new game will have it's own event, there won't be other games there to lose attention, and they can show more of this as well.

Sure, it might sound stupid, but it makes sense.
That made no sense to me.

Zeph
July 18th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Man, if I was Bungie I'd be pissed. It's a lot of effort to get something ready for E3, and to have it up and canceled really sucks. Haha, earlier I said to my friend: "Regardless of what the announcement is, it will probably be a disappointment."

Haha, doesn't get any more disappointing then cancellation.
I would be pissed, but it would be directed towards inside the company. The producers and other commanding positions fucked up by not getting it cleared by the one who pays the bills. I know they're lacking/seeking an executive producer, but there are people who should be stepping up to cover for that.

Hotrod
July 18th, 2008, 03:10 PM
That made no sense to me.
Alright, well, Microsoft wants all their games to be sold, and get as much attention as possible, right? So, if the Halo game was announced, it would steal all the attention from the other games. Now, since it wasn't at E3, all the other games will get more attention than if the Halo game wasn't there. Since the Halo game has it's own event, all the attention will be focused on it, and it will have as much attention as possible, without taking attention away from other stuff at the same time.

Also, due to the fact that it has it's own event, they will be able to show more of the game then they would have been able to at E3.