PDA

View Full Version : Computer Appears Dead

Warsaw
July 20th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Ok, so my computer took a dump today, and I'm posting this from my old old computer (Athlon XP 1700+ :lol:).

So the symptoms are as follows:
-Once I turn the computer off, I have to turn the PSU off, then back on before I can power up again.
-Sometimes when it turns on, only the HDD light is active
-Sometimes when it turns on, only the power light is active
-It freezes during the motherboard splash screen sometimes if I have it enabled.
-It freezes sometimes during POST
-If I get past POST, it gives me a black screen with a flickering underscore in the top left corner (typing cursor).
-If I try to get to the BIOS, it will give me the same black screen sometimes.
-I can't ever get to Windows
-I get a different POST Code error on the little mainboard display every time (and it always refers to "Reserved")
-All of the status LEDs on the mainboard are lit, meaning that the CPU, DIMMs, and Chipset are OK.

Sounds like a PSU problem to me. What do you guys think?

System specs are in my profile.

Atty
July 20th, 2008, 09:30 PM
PSU could be it or your motherboard could have shit itself.

Hotrod
July 20th, 2008, 09:30 PM
It could be a motherboard problem, since it's the piece that attached everything together. Maybe data isn't going in between hardware as it should be.

Warsaw
July 20th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Oh, it also says the floppy is failing, which I highly doubt because it doesn't say that on a consistent basis.

I've considered the motherboard, but if that shit itself, why does it work at all in the first place? Can it even POST if the motherboard is bad?

Atty
July 20th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Motherboards don't stop working because they went bad. They do weird things like you are experiencing now.

RMA that sucker.

Warsaw
July 20th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I would, except it's not made anymore, and I haven't seen any [reasonably priced] Socket 939 motherboards on the market for a long time now :(. Don't have enough money for a new mainboard, CPU, and PSU either.

I guess I'll try another PSU. If that doesn't work, I'll just have to continue on this one until I have enough for a new computer.

Thanks guys.

ExAm
July 20th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Try clearing the CMOS?

Warsaw
July 20th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Did that. Three times. No effect. :(

ExAm
July 20th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Damn.

Amit
July 20th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Warsaw (Pact) donations? Ha lol people won't want to contribute.

Timo
July 20th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Do you have a speaker you can plug in to your mobo so you hear any beep codes if they do turn up?

kenney001
July 21st, 2008, 12:09 AM
my laptop did something very very similar. It turns out the heat sink was bent up a little off the cpu causing it to overheat on startup and give me a new error or freeze in different places every time.

This sounds like that, cept its a desktop so probably isnt the case.

Warsaw
July 21st, 2008, 02:01 AM
Do you have a speaker you can plug in to your mobo so you hear any beep codes if they do turn up?

No, I don't. It has a built in speaker though, as well as the POST code indicator.