PDA

View Full Version : 360 degree bitmap

Disaster
July 24th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I have a question that got sparked by queer face Selentic. Some of you know ive been making some renders of terrain recently and selentic asked me if it was possible to make a 360 render of terrain and use that bitmap for a sky box. Anybody know if this is possible?

SuperSunny
July 24th, 2008, 03:13 PM
It should be possible, you're just going to have to play around with it, but yeah, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

MMFSdjw
July 24th, 2008, 03:33 PM
yeah, should work just fine. Although the biggest thing will be how you apply the material to your sky model.

Disaster
July 24th, 2008, 03:36 PM
What would be the best way to do this?

Chewy Gumball
July 24th, 2008, 03:51 PM
cant you set the camera angle to something like 180? Im sure theres a way to make the camera render it all at once, but if you cant find it then probably image stitching would be the best way. Render square pictures every 60 or 80 degrees around in a circle and then in photoshop of something just put them together into one image.

Disaster
July 24th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I was thinking about image stitching but The camera angle idea has caught my attention. I will look into it.

legionaire45
July 24th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Yeah, easy. Lemme write up a tutorial.

Step 1: Skydome
First, make yourself a sky dome. Basically, get a sphere with a radius that encompasses your scene and scale the z axis down so it's squashed to hell and looks like a dome. Convert it to an editable poly and delete the bottom half faces so you have a dome with a large open face on the bottom. Flip all of the faces and apply a proper sky texture to it and now you have your sky dome.
EDIT: Add a skylight in and maybe an omni to approximate a sun.

Step 2: Put your geometry inside the sky dome. Try and make your middle ground match up with the bottom of the sky dome so you don't have big patches of black in your final textures. Alternatively you can set the background color to something similar to your skybox under render->environment.

Step 3: Cube
Put a cube in the place where you want to render your textures. You'll probably want to make it a smallish size and you'll probably have to play with the size to get it right.

Step 4: Material
For the material, pick a new material slot and set opacity/glossiness to 0. In the box next to Diffuse select "reflect/refract". Change the Source to "from file" and change the size to the intended resolution of each sky bitmap (preferably something that is a power of two like 256 or 512). Apply the material to the cube you made earlier and scroll down to "Render Cubic Map Files". Go ahead and click on "To File" and save the files in the spot you want to put them. To finish up, click on "Pick Object and Render Maps" and then pick the cube.

If you don't get good results with that you can try making the sky dome a full on sphere and seeing how that works or you can try moving the cube up higher. Tweak with the settings, etc. Now that you have your cubes put them through some panorama stitching software.

Zeph
July 24th, 2008, 03:59 PM
You should never have skybox items be one single mesh and material. Break it up, use miltiple meshes, and layer things a bit.

Disaster
July 24th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Yeah I have a few hi res meshes and I want to turn them into flat bitmaps because they most likely wont be really close up and you wont be able to tell the difference.

Sel
July 24th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Im not sure if the point got across right or not, but Ill clarify what was being asked a bit. Pretty much taking a 360 degree render of high poly mountains, and then using the bitmap in a sky, so that when the level is played it gives the illusion of high poly mountains far away, but they are really just a bitmap.

I admin I have absolutely no clue what Im saying :|

Andrew_b
July 24th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I admit I have absolutely no clue what Im saying :|

It's apparent.

Zeph
July 24th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Im not sure if the point got across right or not, but Ill clarify what was being asked a bit. Pretty much taking a 360 degree render of high poly mountains, and then using the bitmap in a sky, so that when the level is played it gives the illusion of high poly mountains far away, but they are really just a bitmap.

I admin I have absolutely no clue what Im saying :|

Why not put a ring in your skybox and apply the render to the UV like you would for any other thing you would stick in a game?

Bastinka
July 24th, 2008, 09:04 PM
F10, change the resolution of the render to make it really wide then apply it to a flipped cylinder in the skybox. Easy as that.

if dat werkz den plus rep is always nice

legionaire45
July 25th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Use my method but get rid of the skydome (change the background color to something that is similar to your mountains and make sure to save your final files to a format that supports alpha channels). Basically, render out one pass with the cube in a normal configuration and then rotate it 45 degrees and do the same thing. Get those renders, label them and put them into some panorama creating software.

People do this all the time for Counter Strike, they basically make a ring with nodraw textures all over it and the moutain texture applied to the inner faces facing the level. For halo you just make like an 8 side cylinder the size of the level, flip the faces and apply your mountain texture. Make sure you set the shader to use alpha transparency.

Corndogman
July 25th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I was wondering the same thing too actually. I was thinking maybe you could have a bunch of mountains as separate meshes and render them individually, then put them each on individual planes and add them to a regular sky dome.