PDA

View Full Version : How to permanently widen FOV

denizen78
August 4th, 2008, 12:50 AM
This method is for those who, like me, simply wish to set a normal first-person shooter field of view in Halo2-Vista, to enjoy a huge improvement over the original. For years now, Bungie has consistently frustrated people's intelligence by ignoring truckloads of complaints and the most basic common sense on Halo's FOV issue. Sickened by this, I worked on a method which has been tested and works perfectly in H2V, and seemingly in Halo PC as well.

The short version:

replace all occurrences of 'AA619C3F' with 'CDCCCC3F' in all SP .MAP files.

The detailed version:

before you do any editing, make sure to BACKUP your entire Halo2\maps directory
get a decent hex editor (I used hex workshop)
open your Halo2\maps directory
for every one of the single player maps (the ones whose filename starts with numbers) do the following:

open the .MAP file with hex workshop
choose replace in the edit menu
in the type box choose: hex values
in the 'Find' field type: AA619C3F
in the 'Replace' field type: CDCCCC3F, a 32-bit float value which translates into a decent FOV of 1.6 instead of the default 1.22. Use other float values if you prefer.
make sure to replace all occurences
save the file
close the file

do the exact same procedure for these two other files: single_player_shared.map, shared.map
you're done, launch the game and enjoy a permanent non-debilitating FOV in Halo2 Vista :D

Note: due to new FOV, wielded weapons appear slightly oversized.

Edit:
For me, modding this game really pumped some new life into it. I never thought I'd enjoy it so much. I just finished a run through the entire game, for the first time in a PRISTINE fanboy joy. And without the endlessly looping music which I killed using the Gravemind editor, the game's dramatic atmosphere can finally emerge, and in quite a few places. A huge thanks to lone wolf, for his support, T1xAnton, for his guidance, and grimdoomer for his Gravemind editor, without which this would not have been possible.

Con
August 4th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Does this work with MP maps too? If people wished to change the FOV in their maps, this would be a great way.

Choking Victim
August 4th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I don't know if this is such a good idea, there could be multiple instances of AA619C3F in the map file. How do you know the one you're changing is in the mc's meta? It's much safer to get the mc bipeds meta offset from gravemind or another app and look for any AA619C3F instances there.

denizen78
August 4th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I understand your concern. Despite replacing all occurrences here, the game has been working flawlessly so far. Besides, whenever I tried changing any of the bipd tags using Gravemind, the game stopped working.

Caboose O'Malley
August 4th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Just tried this out, works great!
Thanks mate:woot:

Pyong Kawaguchi
August 4th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Someone learned from me ^.^
yayz

hozer
September 19th, 2008, 09:49 AM
This method is for those who, like me, wish to permanently set a standard first-person shooter FOV in Halo2-Vista, in order to enjoy a better single player experience. It has been tested and works perfectly in H2V, and seemingly in Halo PC as well.

The short version:
replace all occurrences of 'AA619C3F' with 'CDCCCC3F' in all SP .MAP files.The detailed version:
before you do any editing, make sure to BACKUP your entire Halo2\maps directory
get a decent hex editor (I used hex workshop)
open your Halo2\maps directory
for every one of the single player maps (the ones whose filename starts with numbers) do the following:
open the .MAP file with hex workshop
choose replace in the edit menu
in the type box choose: hex values
in the 'Find' field type: AA619C3F
in the 'Replace' field type: CDCCCC3F, a 32-bit float value which translates into a decent FOV of 1.6 instead of the default 1.22. Use other float values if you prefer.
make sure to replace all occurences
save the file
close the file
do the exact same procedure for these two other files: single_player_shared.map, shared.map
you're done, launch the game and enjoy a permanent non-debilitating FOV in Halo2 Vista :DNote: due to new FOV, wielded weapons appear slightly oversized.

Edit:
For me, modding this game really pumped some new life into it. I never thought I'd enjoy it so much. I just finished a run through the entire game, for the first time in a PRISTINE fanboy joy. And without the looping music, the game's dramatic atmosphere emerges at last. A huge thanks to lone wolf, for his support, T1xAnton, for his guidance, and grimdoomer for his Gravemind editor, without which this would not have been possible.

Is there any way to zip all of the maps up that you moded for us to download?

Syuusuke
September 19th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Does this work with MP maps too? If people wished to change the FOV in their maps, this would be a great way.

Yes it does on CE only, but you can't modify the existing maps because, well you know why =) That little check with the files matching up before joining.

So you can mod regular Halo's MP maps and play on any server.

Patrickssj6
September 20th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Korn, explain why does this work...Why is the Rum Checksum gone??!

Syuusuke
September 20th, 2008, 09:04 AM
What it's still there, I couldn't join any CE server with my modded BG.

I meant regular Halo PC, the non-CE one, pattywhack.

p0lar_bear
September 20th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Is there any way to zip all of the maps up that you moded for us to download?

No, since distributing the maps that come on the DVD is an EULA violation and somewhat illegal.

Patrickssj6
September 20th, 2008, 10:12 AM
I didn't mean that it's gone :P I'm just asking why H2V is not checking for it :/

Syuusuke
September 20th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Oh i thought you meant CE =P

t3h m00kz
September 28th, 2008, 03:22 PM
pics?

Syuusuke
September 28th, 2008, 04:44 PM
You don't know how widened FOV looks?

t3h m00kz
September 30th, 2008, 12:40 AM
No I don't, not for H2V :( But I was really aiming that at the tutorial process and maybe some before/after comparisons

Ah well trying it now, wish me luck that I don't fuck shit up

E: Doesn't work. Exits to UI.

denizen78
October 19th, 2008, 09:38 AM
E: Doesn't work. Exits to UI.

If you haven't been pissed at the game's ridiculous FOV for years, then this MOD isn't for you, don't bother attempting it. The procedure was successful after I installed the game from a fully original DVD and applied the XP patch. It should succeed on any working version of the game however, including Halo1 PC, since only the .MAP files are involved. The modded files weigh-in at over 3GB, so you're much better off doing the mod yourself, successfully.

t3h m00kz
October 19th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Eh, I did everything the tutorial said. Twice. Still forced me to exit to the UI whenever I tried to start campaign or multiplayer.

Either way, I can deal with the FOV. I barely play the game as it is because of the horrible fucking hit detection, and if I remember correctly, the game has 70 degrees FOV, which is the same as Halo 1.

Don't get me wrong, it'd be a nice add-on to have, but so far it's been unsuccessful so I can do without.

I'll probably just wait until someone comes out with a FOV Third Person hack that can rival BitterBananna's.

But the game's kinda dead, so I won't count on it.

Pooky
October 21st, 2008, 10:13 AM
I'll probably just wait until someone comes out with a FOV Third Person hack that can rival BitterBananna's.

iirc, there already is FOV and third person stuff for Halo 2 xbox

t3h m00kz
October 23rd, 2008, 09:34 AM
iirc, there already is FOV and third person stuff for Halo 2 xbox

FFF-

DJ_Stephan
November 30th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Wow this actualy works for me.But if i replace that stuff in shared.map file i cant play Halo 2 vista anymore game just closes and i get exceptions.But the FOV is still bigger even if i dont change shared.map file.
Since this is for changing the FOV to 1.6 can you tell me how to change to 1.9 or 1.10 because 1.6 is too big and trying to offscope with a sniper on 1.6 is horible.Whats the FOV in halo 2?

Syuusuke
November 30th, 2008, 03:13 PM

Default is 1.22 =)

But I don't know how to get the other values.

denizen78
December 11th, 2008, 11:01 PM
You can use hex workshop to translate a float value to a decimal value, just highlight any 4 bytes within an opened file, and see the decimal equivalent in the 'float' field, in the window's data inspector area (lower left). To do the opposite operation, just double click the float field in that same lower left area, and enter a value; the four previously selected bytes will convert to the corresponding hex float value.