PDA

View Full Version : Can't Decide Between Ubuntu and Kubuntu

Reaper Man
August 12th, 2008, 06:05 AM
I'm a Linux noob, and I used to have Ubuntu installed on my system. I'm really sick of windows right now, but can't decide whether to install Ubuntu or Kubuntu, or just install KDE on Ubuntu. I really only have basic knowledge of this stuff, so if any of you would care to enlighten me.. Also, is the 64 bit version of either worth getting (support-wise etc)?

Are there any advantages to using KDE? I plan to customize whichever I install to have a dock and probably operate somewhat mac os style.

E: Decided to download x64 version of Ubuntu. I'm aware of the flash/java and other limitations, but I am also aware of the workarounds (firefox32 etc)

Sel
August 12th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Get vista :downs:

Reaper Man
August 12th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I have Vista on my laptop. Fucking hate it. Would get a Mac (I've wanted one for years) but don't have the cash just yet.

kenney001
August 12th, 2008, 10:17 AM
http://www.linuxmint.com/

Kalub
August 12th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I have a Windows 2000 disc you can borrow :)

Con
August 13th, 2008, 01:16 AM
why all the vista hatas

legionaire45
August 13th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Try Windows 7.

Oh, wait.

I'm a linux noob here, but Ubuntu was ok when I toyed around with it for a month.

Terin
August 13th, 2008, 03:23 AM
http://www.linuxmint.com/Ubuntu is pretty damn snazzy and functional on it's own. The only trouble I've had with it so far was getting wireless internet to work, and all I needed to do was manually plug it in, and update it.

Bodzilla
August 13th, 2008, 04:27 AM
GET THE FUCK OUT!!!!!!!!!!

SACRALIDGE!

Dr Nick
August 13th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Isn't Kubuntu just Ubuntu under the KDE?

klange
August 13th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Isn't Kubuntu just Ubuntu under the KDE?
With all KDE apps, yes.

If you want KDE, just get Kubuntu. It's the same as installing the `kubuntu-desktop` metapackage in Ubuntu...

Pyong Kawaguchi
August 15th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Get Windows 3.0
owait.

Patrickssj6
August 15th, 2008, 02:35 PM
64-bit only if > 4GB RAM

Warsaw
August 17th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Well, the question you should be asking yourself is:

"Do I like the GNOME desktop environment, or the KDE one?"

Personally, I like GNOME, though each has its merits. It could be I prefer what I do because I am more familiar with it. Also, it is sleeker, in my opinion, and more modifiable. I guess one could say that KDE has more features. If you want a very, very rough analogy:

KDE is like the Windows interface, and GNOME is like the Macintosh interface.

Also, if you want to run Windows programs, I'd stick with a 32-bit edition. WINE requires some manual library tweaking and compilation to run 32-bit libraries with 64-bit Ubuntu/Kubuntu.

@Patrick: You don't need 64-bit Linux to support more than 4GB of RAM. That's a Windows-specific issue.

OmegaDragon
August 17th, 2008, 06:10 AM
My experience with Linux ended after about 5 hours of using Fedora :downs:.
It was interesting to see the difference and the flexibility I had. But it turns out that even thought my monitor is capable of 1280*1024 screen resolution, fedora didn't think so and made my monitor shut down when I changed to 1280*1024. I waited for a couple of minutes thinking that it would revert, but it never did. Restarting the thing didn't do shit, I was able to go into the login screen, but when i went into the profile, the monitor turned off. After about half an hour later, I finally was able to find out how to boot it in command line and I couldn't find any god damned command in the command line mode to change it back.

Warsaw
August 17th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Yeah, I don't like Fedora. Ubuntu works fine at those resolutions. In my experience, Ubuntu has been the most stable, flexible, and reliable distribution, but I haven't tried Linux Mint (which everyone is raving about).

The other great things about Ubuntu are the installer and recovery mode. They are practically idiot-proof, and all you have to really to is use the arrow keys and hit 'Enter'. Recovery mode also gives you the option of booting into command line mode.