PDA

View Full Version : Beating old games

flibitijibibo
August 12th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Has anyone else ever gone back and beaten an old game that they couldn't beat when they were younger? For example, I just 100% completed Mario Sunshine, and it was sweet... with the exception of the fucking blue coins.

Kalub
August 12th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Crash Bandicoot Series, Spyro..... its all I can think of atm

Heathen
August 12th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I went back and beat both 64 Legend of Zeldas.

Xetsuei
August 12th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Sonic Adventure...that was seriously like the most confusing thing ever when I was 8.

teh lag
August 12th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Lego Racers time trials. My god those pissed me off way back when.

Zeph
August 12th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I was planning on trying to get all 150 stars on mario 64 later tonight.

The_Wraith
August 12th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I've tried so hard to go back and beat Turok: Battle of the Bionosaurs, Donkey Kong Land, and Donkey Kong Land 2 for the Gameboy. Those games are impossible...

Pyong Kawaguchi
August 12th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Definitely the spyro series, and commander keen.

Kalub
August 12th, 2008, 08:28 PM

Good luck, some of those stars are stupid hard to get. Like the catch-the-rabbit-in-the-sewers one....:mad:

The_Wraith
August 12th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Good luck, some of those stars are stupid hard to get. Like the catch-the-rabbit-in-the-sewers one....:mad:I got that one on my first try. It wasn't that hard you just gotta trap it, kinda, and lunge at the right moment.

Sever
August 12th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Fucking Allied mission #14 from Red Alert 1 - you have 2 separate squads, each with about 5 infantry and an accompanying medic, and you have 45 minutes to deactivate the enemy installation. You basically have to kill everyone else on the map, including flamethrower infantry, grenadiers and attack dogs. I beat it eventually, though, after playing some newer RTS's for a few years.

itszutak
August 12th, 2008, 09:01 PM
This thread is inspiring me to go play Lego Island 1 again.

Donut
August 12th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Has anyone else ever gone back and beaten an old game that they couldn't beat when they were younger? For example, I just 100% completed Mario Sunshine, and it was sweet... with the exception of the fucking blue coins.
Thats exactly what i was working on earlier today

Heathen
August 12th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Tap your cartridge at the right time and the bunny freezes.

flibitijibibo
August 12th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Xetsueiâ„¢;289665']Sonic Adventure...that was seriously like the most confusing thing ever when I was 8.That game was the shit when it came out. When my friend and I first saw the game, we were like, "damn, how are we gunna beat this game?" A few weeks ago I installed it on PC, and beat the whole thing the same night. XD

Playing/beating old games also makes me wonder: Where the fuck did *series* go wrong? In this case, Sonic, in terms of controls and speed, just sort of disappeared after Sonic Adventure 2, which also kicked major ass.

Well, now I'm off to Metroid Prime 1. Maybe with a slightly more (but still barely at all) developed brain, I can try for 100%.

Zeph
August 12th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Good luck, some of those stars are stupid hard to get. Like the catch-the-rabbit-in-the-sewers one....:mad:

I find those easy. It's the fucking sledding/racing parts that piss me off. I just spent 28 lives trying to beat that fucking penguin.

CN3089
August 12th, 2008, 11:04 PM
I find those easy. It's the fucking sledding/racing parts that piss me off. I just spent 28 lives trying to beat that fucking penguin.

Why don't you just use the shortcut?

Or is that how you lost the lives? :haw:

Zeph
August 12th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Why don't you just use the shortcut?

Or is that how you lost the lives? :haw:

no, I lose lives like mad at this one s-turn.
I tried using the shortcut, but it said I couldn't and I had to run the race again..

blind
August 12th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Not the wall shortcut, the falling down onto the lower level of the race shortcut.

Zeph
August 12th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Not the wall shortcut, the falling down onto the lower level of the race shortcut.

Yeah, tried it twice. Off the edge onto what's below and across the ice blocks. :\.

Pooky
August 12th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Sonic Adventure 2, which also kicked major ass.
That game had one hell of a fucked up retarded storyline though.

Well, now I'm off to Metroid Prime 1. Maybe with a slightly more (but still barely at all) developed brain, I can try for 100%.

I'm still sad I could never find the one last missile tank I needed before I sold my gamecube :(

DrunkenSamus
August 12th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Fucking Allied mission #14 from Red Alert 1 - you have 2 separate squads, each with about 5 infantry and an accompanying medic, and you have 45 minutes to deactivate the enemy installation. You basically have to kill everyone else on the map, including flamethrower infantry, grenadiers and attack dogs. I beat it eventually, though, after playing some newer RTS's for a few years.

RED ALERT WAS AND STILL IS THE SHIT. The music tracks in Tiberian Dawn throughout Red Alert 2 complete the series...I sometimes go on the composer's website and listen to the tracks...so nostalgic...:rolleyes:

Bad Waffle
August 13th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Yeah, tried it twice. Off the edge onto what's below and across the ice blocks. :\.

Zeph, i managed that on my second try when i was 13. Or 11. Or...something...

LlamaMaster
August 13th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Beat all 3 spryos on the PS 100%. Right now I'm trying to beat Zelda OoT, which I still find fucking impossible. I cba to get all the stars in mario 64.

blind
August 13th, 2008, 12:42 AM
You seriously can't beat Ocarina of Time?
I beat that when I was 7.

ICEE
August 13th, 2008, 12:50 AM
When I was about 7 I had quake 1 on my computer (thanks daddy). as soon as my mom found out she 'uninstalled' it (unplugged the computer) and I couldn't play anymore. So I recently downloaded the n64 rom and beat it. it was pretty sweet.

kenney001
August 13th, 2008, 12:58 AM
halo

PenGuin1362
August 13th, 2008, 01:00 AM
RED ALERT WAS AND STILL IS THE SHIT. The music tracks in Tiberian Dawn throughout Red Alert 2 complete the series...I sometimes go on the composer's website and listen to the tracks...so nostalgic...:rolleyes:

I love you sir.

The command and conquer games are the shit. red alert would take fucking forever to beat though cause the ai was freakin crazy and would just build like a mofo.
I wish I had this kind of time to just go back and beat old games :(

blind
August 13th, 2008, 01:15 AM
I love you sir.

The command and conquer games are the shit. red alert would take fucking forever to beat though cause the ai was freakin crazy and would just build like a mofo.
Press the buttons for the nuke :hellyeah:
Also, I've been playing Generals lately :] FUCK the Air Force general on Hard.
Theres two games that I REALLY want to beat fully though.
Jersey Devil for PS1 and The Lost World: Jurassic Park also for PS1.
I can't find the Jersey Devil disc and Lost World is still brutally hard :|

Con
August 13th, 2008, 01:20 AM
I wanna go back and beat some old games that I never finished.. SEGA Bug anyone?

Timo
August 13th, 2008, 01:28 AM
I want to go back and beat a really hard game of Civilization 2. Best game ever.

DrunkenSamus
August 13th, 2008, 01:29 AM
I love you sir.

Red Alert 2 was the last great CnC game...after that Westwood Studios was bought by fucking EA who completely messed up the series...

ultama121
August 13th, 2008, 02:04 AM
CNC.

I'm a loooooooooong time fan. I remember playing the first game when I was like 3. The games that I could call Nostalgic to me would have to be Classic, RA 1, and 2. As I said, I go way back with the first, played a lot of RA classic, and RA 2 I remeber finding when I was like 8 at target at a discount. I was practically like "OMG MOM BAH MEH CNC." Luckily enough, she did. ;) I actually have never played CNC TS till recently though, I think I like it the most out of them all. It's probably the most balanced... (looking at you RA2). Love network games with CnC, endless fun that takes all night.

ExAm
August 13th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Working on Ocarina of time right now, but I pretty much beat every old game I owned when I was younger. However I'm trying to get a rom of mega man legends to work, and not having much luck. I liked that game but got pissed at it after losing to one of the bosses so many times.

Kalub
August 13th, 2008, 07:39 PM
wts Sega Genesis..... $329

Llama Juice
August 13th, 2008, 08:45 PM

Best of luck with those last 30 stars. Screen cap when you get all 150 plz.

There are only 120 stars in Mario 64

Kalub
August 13th, 2008, 09:00 PM
I remember trying to get the 70(5) for the last bowser fight.... I never did :(

JunkfoodMan
August 13th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Oh man I loved the music for the last Bowser battle (Called "Ultimate Koopa")

DrunkenSamus
August 13th, 2008, 09:15 PM
CNC.

I'm a loooooooooong time fan. I remember playing the first game when I was like 3. The games that I could call Nostalgic to me would have to be Classic, RA 1, and 2. As I said, I go way back with the first, played a lot of RA classic, and RA 2 I remeber finding when I was like 8 at target at a discount. I was practically like "OMG MOM BAH MEH CNC." Luckily enough, she did. ;) I actually have never played CNC TS till recently though, I think I like it the most out of them all. It's probably the most balanced... (looking at you RA2). Love network games with CnC, endless fun that takes all night.

Tiberian sun sucked. The mod community made it a much better game though. Tiberian Sun Retro makes regular Tiberian Sun soooo much better. It actually looks like the real sequel to the first CnC.

Bossniak
August 13th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Couple weeks ago, I finally went back to play some Battle Toads and beat it. I never beat it while I was younger. It felt good. :)

CN3089
August 13th, 2008, 09:35 PM

There's 150 in the DS port :ssh:

LinkandKvel
August 13th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Beat all 3 spryos on the PS 100%.

Me too....ALL three Crash Bandicoots also.

Right now I'm trying to beat Zelda OoT, which I still find fucking impossible.How?

However I'm trying to get a rom of mega man legends to work, and not having much luck. I liked that game but got pissed at it after losing to one of the bosses so many times.Excuse me are we related? I HAD a working rom of megaman legends but it was wiped clean off my desktop....If I find another I will let you know

p0lar_bear
August 13th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Currently working on Chrono Cross. Jesus Christ it's a long game.
I haven't even gotten Serge's body back yet, and i've been playing it on and off for a few months now..

Just recently beat Super Mario Bros. 3 on the Wii. Took like 5 retries on World 8.

ExAm
August 13th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Excuse me are we related? I HAD a working rom of megaman legends but it was wiped clean off my desktop....If I find another I will let you knowOh man that reminds me of the time I shift+deleted half my desktop items by accident. Took some doing to get 'em back. Anyways, this was a little while after I had first gotten my PC, and on Macs, clicking one file and shift+clicking on another simply selects those two files, and more if you shift+click more. I had no idea that windows selected everything in between the first and shift+clicked items, and I thought I was safe after doing it to two files that were one on top of another, and shift+deleted. There was a window over everything to the right of the files I deleted, so I was ovlivious to the deletion of half the stuff on my desktop until about ten minutes later when I closed the window.
I don't shift+delete anymore :(

Phobias
August 14th, 2008, 06:17 AM
I don't suppose anyone has ever played Aztec the adventurer (sp?).

I think it was the game you didn't need a cartridge for on Sega. I've never finished it (I last played it when I was 4 and have been trying to find it since)

Llama Juice
August 14th, 2008, 07:13 AM
There's 150 in the DS port :ssh:

Touche'

I beat Conker's Live and Reloaded like a month ago... first time playing through the Xbox version...

Other than that?...

I'll play through the old Mario games every once in a while if I get bored.

LinkandKvel
August 19th, 2008, 02:51 AM
Does anyone know where to find a dreamcast emulator? Maybe I can finally beat Jet Grind Radio. JSRF was the best underrated game I've ever played...love their music choice :)

ultama121
August 19th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Went back to play through the Fan Translation of Tales of Symphonia for the SNES via Emulator, such an excellent game that never saw the U.S. Sure... there's the GBA port, except there was so much censorship in that port that I'd barf. Plus, It isn't exactly as fun to play on that small screen. There was also a PS1 remake that was Japan only that was completely remade. Luckily there is a fan Translation is in progress for that and is nearing completion. But now they released a port of the PS1 version for the PSP Japan only with Voice overs for EVERY SINGLE BIT OF DIALOGUE. In other words:
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

Link to the Fan Translation patch for the Snes: http://www.dejap.com/top.php
Link to the Fan Translation patch for the PS1 (Unreleased but very close to completion): http://www.tales-cless.org/?page=news

The link to the patch for the Snes version is dead so just look around for it.
Oh, and I reccomend using the Znes emulator.

Also @ Link, there is Chankast which seems to be the highest rated, but its also a dead project judging by the homepage and seeing as there is not forum. DEMUL is probably the only real emulator in development. http://demul.emulation64.com/

Zeph
August 19th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Zeph, i managed that on my second try when i was 13. Or 11. Or...something...

I got an N64 for christmas the year it came out and the first game I played was Mario 64. I beat the penguin on my first try back then. :\

Beat all 3 spryos on the PS 100%. Right now I'm trying to beat Zelda OoT, which I still find fucking impossible. I cba to get all the stars in mario 64.

Only hard part of OoT is the water temple and it's only just annoying.

fucking pokemons.

Bodzilla
August 19th, 2008, 04:24 AM
I've been meaning to go back and Murder Half life 1, but i'm just too busy.

one of those things i tried and just couldnt figure it out when it was a new game, (i was a wee-snapper back then btw) cause i was too used to Duke Nukem and quake :|

That and System shock 2.

actually while i'm thinking of it, not too long ago i went back and Beat Warcraft 1.
man i used like a bajillion cheats to do it. Thats one fucking ball breaking game. So incredibly hard, i dont think i'll ever manage to beat it legit, and if i somehow manage to beat it i'd realise that i just missed the launch of the xbox 1080 :|

LinkandKvel
August 19th, 2008, 05:59 AM
Beat all 3 spryos on the PS 100%.
this but not Zelda OoT? Oh god I can remember it now....hours stuck on a level not knowing where the hell 2 go and I vaguely remember searching causing massive headaches. Am I the only one that's ever been so lost in a video game that I felt like puking?

also,
alslg6xML7E
WHY NAUGHTY DOG WHY? :gonk:

Fuck Jak and Daxter I want mah GOOD Crash Bandicoot back :gonk:

Bodzilla
August 19th, 2008, 06:10 AM
good Old Bandi.

you know the Time trails, theres only like silver and gold or something for certain levels
a mate of mine got a platnium one.
i was like WTF?! had to see it to believe it. No fuckign idea how he got it hey.

LinkandKvel
August 19th, 2008, 06:14 AM
good Old Bandi.

you know the Time trails, theres only like silver and gold or something for certain levels
a mate of mine got a platnium one.
i was like WTF?! had to see it to believe it. No fuckign idea how he got it hey.

You must be talking about these type of levels
o6L-LkRpj48

Bodzilla
August 19th, 2008, 06:20 AM
you can do time trials for any level, but yeah he ownd at the game

Pooky
August 19th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Does anyone know where to find a dreamcast emulator? Maybe I can finally beat Jet Grind Radio. JSRF was the best underrated game I've ever played...love their music choice :)

Dreamcast emulators are currently buggy and shit... you might want to try again in 5 years.

That said, Chankast is probably your best bet.

Hotrod
August 19th, 2008, 01:28 PM
About two weeks ago, I tried to go beat Total Annihilation : The Core Contingency's (the expansion pack) Campaign...and failed. I was better at them when I was younger, even if I couldn't win then either.

LlamaMaster
August 19th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Disregard what I said about zelda. It was only hard because I came back to playing the game after two or so years of never playing it. When I first left off I was at the start of the shadow temple, and coming back I had no idea where to get the eye of truth. Games not to hard now that I know what I'm doing again.

@link: Theres only a few parts in the spryo series that are hard. Sadly, I remember looking at the guide for the tree tops level in Spryo 1. (seriously, it looked impossible to get over to that island in the distance) One cool thing happened to me though (which has never happened again), the solution to getting to one of the dragons came to me in a dream. I forget the name of the level, but it's that one where the fairy kisses you and gives you a superflame.