PDA

View Full Version : So there's some (relatively) new gameplay videos for Call of Duty: World at War...

Ifafudafi
August 19th, 2008, 11:21 PM
http://media.pc.ign.com/media/142/14222042/vids_1.html

Here's my short opinion. On the good side...
-Flamethrower looks win.
-Co-op! :awesome:
-I love the guerilla tactics the Japanese employ against you.
-Graphics are definitely a step up (or at least half of one) from CoD4.
-Intensity of combat is still on-par with at least CoD2/3.

And on the other hand...
-Treyarch is banking on the "GORE + F-BOMBS = SALES" tactic, rather than the well-moderated M-rating in CoD4.
-Less about cover, more about strafing.
-Several animations look screwy.
-Not sure if the new setting can stand out from the grimy sludge that is the oversaturated WWII genre.
-That forced blinking effect from explosions/rifle shots gets annoying real quick.

Overall, I'm still divided on whether to like this or not. I may rent it for shits n' giggles if reviews are decent, but my anticipation and excitement are reserved for the next project Infinity Ward makes.

Snowy
August 19th, 2008, 11:25 PM
I don't think it will sell that well. I think a lot of people are really happy with COD4, and will say "Why buy this one? I still like COD4, plus, I don't want to go back to WWII".

Ifafudafi
August 19th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Oh, and I forgot to mention that I'm partially biased against it since it's just the product of Activision wanting yearly CoD releases. That kind of marketing, while it may be profitable, really ticks me off.

adumass
August 19th, 2008, 11:54 PM
WWII.. why couldn't they just stay with modern like cod4 or maybe futuristic.

Amit
August 20th, 2008, 01:19 AM
WWII.. why couldn't they just stay with modern like cod4 or maybe futuristic.

Maybe IW has a new one coming out next year and this bastard child is trying to make that one look better after this becomes the evident fail child of the family. IW = Overachiever (Loved by parents more) Treyarch = Rebel (Disliked very much by parents)

I still think it'd be too early for a futuristic game...or a new sequel at all. THey should just leave it for at least a year and a half before they pump out the next one. Going back to WWII is a mistake in my opinion but I'm sure I'll still find something to like about Treyarch's shooter.

They should stay with the modern theme and come up with a storyline relatively based on the aftermath of COD4 and work their way up from there. (IW I mean, fuck Treyarch) The next one after that can be futuristic because I want to see what more they can scrounge out of our current era of combat (mostly the weapons and tech) before they move onto something that is completely new and implements a drastictly new form of gameplay.

Pooky
August 20th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Actually I would love to see a futuristic call of duty... near future hard science style futuristic that is, not Star Wars futuristic.

Amit
August 20th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Actually I would love to see a futuristic call of duty... near future hard science style futuristic that is, not Star Wars futuristic.

I concur. Battlefield 2142 felt...too far away and unbelievable yet it's my most favourite Battlefield game so far. I utterly hated Battlefield 2.

DaneO'Roo
August 20th, 2008, 02:44 AM
They should do a Call of Duty set in the middle ages. Not obliivon or anything, a really really involving sort of first person.....knight game.

xD

ExAm
August 20th, 2008, 03:58 AM
I utterly hated Battlefield 2.BLASPHEMY!!! :mad:

343guiltymc
August 20th, 2008, 08:11 AM
They should do a Call of Duty set in the middle ages. Not obliivon or anything, a really really involving sort of first person.....knight game.

xD
Wouldn't that take out the "shooter" part of the FPS? The only ranged weapons would be a crossbow and a regular bow.

Pooky
August 20th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Wouldn't that take out the "shooter" part of the FPS? The only ranged weapons would be a crossbow and a regular bow.

:raise:

How much do you know about the middle ages exactly?

Warsaw
August 24th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Cross Bow
Recurve Bow
Long Bow
Spear
Throwing Knives
Sling Shot

Am I missing any ranged infantry weapons?

Ki11a_FTW
August 24th, 2008, 08:02 PM
the second video was cool, i liked the flamethrower a lot, ill probably get this for my PC

E:

Minimum System Requirements

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz /
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Display Card!: NVIDIA Geforce 6600 GT 256MB /
ATI Radeon X1600 XT 256MB
Memory: 1024MB
Free Disk Space: 8GB
Operating System: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista

Limited
August 24th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Is that KIEFER SUTHERLAND I HEAR????? Game just went up in my books if it is.

Damn that flame throwers sick, game looks pretty good, dark jungle/water bit I wasnt that impressed on the graphics though.

Pooky
August 24th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Cross Bow
Recurve Bow
Long Bow
Spear
Throwing Knives
Sling Shot

Am I missing any ranged infantry weapons?

That depends if we're only talking European

After all what about blow darts and shurikens :O

Hotrod
August 24th, 2008, 10:41 PM
It looks nice, though it's not really a game that I'm interested in buying, due to it being another WWII game. I'm sure that it's going to be fun to play, and I'll probably try it out someday, but I'd rather save my money for something else.

Warsaw
August 25th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Needz moar WWI. Trench warfare be damned, it can still make a good game.