PDA

View Full Version : Well, IB, here I come

Hotrod
August 25th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Well, today is officially my last day before becoming a student of the IB Diploma Program, and I'm not sure how well I'll do, since I don't have the best of the best studying habits. I know that there are a few members on here that are in, or have done the IB program, and I was wondering if you could give me some tips for doing well.

If you're not an IB student (College or University, or even just High School), but still have some good studying tips, I'd also appreciate it.

Warsaw
August 25th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Actually, IB is not about studying. The class material is not hard. What is the killer is workload; you need to manage your time well in order to survive, unless you like staying up until 2AM and getting three hours of sleep every night...

The other kicker is CAS. I loathe that part. As if I didn't have to juggle everything else already...<.<

Limited
August 25th, 2008, 10:51 AM
No idea what IB is, but congrats on being one.

My advice, when you get a piece of work that doesnt have to be in for some time, start straight away and either finish it all straight away, or do most of it at the start. It will help you alot as you wont be cramming work in because its due in the next day *ive done that alot =\* but 2nd year is gonna be different.

Dont leave it to the last day to print, if you run out of ink or paper you stil have enough time to print it out on a libary pc or uni pc :)

Warsaw
August 25th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Yup, that works.

Though, sometimes teachers want to do parts of a long assignment in class, so you can't really do too much at home. Just watch out for that.

Edward Elrich
August 25th, 2008, 11:12 AM
CAS isn't that hard, use your map building and label it as "creative" [/sarcasm]

And don't procrastinate the extended essay. Having dropped IB halfway through the first year, I can't give much more advice except for not procrastinating.

Hotrod
August 25th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Yeah, my brother went through the IB, and he stayed up late a lot, but he wasn't the best at managing his time. As for CAS, that'll be pretty easy for me, since I'll just incorporate what I already do into it. And, if you have a good enough explanation, you probably could have map making as "creative".

I procrastinated a lot last year, and I think I've learned to not do so this year.

How would you suggest managine time? I know that staying off Modacity would be a good start.

Limited
August 25th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Set yourside some time that is solely for work. I dunno if your living in halls, but they are very distracting places, one you have your mates nagging you to go out and get drunk alot, and just people playing loud noise and running up and down the corridors screaming and shouting. You need to let your friends know yes your here to have fun but also to get work done.

Even if you dont use this time to do actual work that needs to be in, do something that will help you with your course, research some things, go to the libray and get a book on a subject you want to further yourself in.

Yes your teachers are there to help you, but you will need to do some independent work if you want to really excell at the subject and not just scrap through :D

Yeah internet is hard to get off :)

Hotrod
August 25th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Limited, just so you know, the IB is a high school program that's for grades 11 and 12 (dunno how high school grades are in Europe), not College or University. I just wanted to clear that up.

Even though your advice is for post-high school stuff, it'll still work.

n00b1n8R
August 25th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Though, sometimes teachers want to do parts of a long assignment in class, so you can't really do too much at home. Just watch out for that.
Tell them to get stuffed. :downs:

Hotrod
August 25th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Actually, from what I've heard, our IB teachers are quite good for that kind of stuff. My brother's class managed to postpone most of their projects, just by asking.

Bad Waffle
August 25th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Heh, i used to be in IB. I decided to raise my GPA by taking a bunch of easier fun classes (digital imaging, journalism, physics, visual arts, film as lit) and acing em in the hole.

IB is a bitch. I shouldn't of done it, really--i should have taken AP classes for the college credit. IB credit to up the chance of getting into a school isnt as solid as AP college credit or a high GPA, and i got nothing out of it other than a few friends.

Oh, and heres the thing about IB: its not about what you know, but who you know. I don't care who you are, every single IB student has cheated by distributing the workload among students, and copying it out. trust me, IB would be HELL if it werent for people to help you.

Also, you're going to have no social life whatsoever. Say bye bye to free time past an hour a night.

Hotrod
August 25th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Well, I don't really have a social life anyway, since I live in the middle of nowhere, so that won't be a problem for me.

Warsaw
August 25th, 2008, 11:35 PM
IB ain't hard. CAS is easy if you do music or something like that.

Also, Lag, I've never cheated on a test or distributed my workload on other students...I don't trust anyone but me with my work. I only trust me to get an "A" on something, and leaving it in someone else's hands is risky.

Finally, I have free time...

Maybe you were just really bad at IB?

Hotrod
August 26th, 2008, 06:07 AM
Well, today is the day, and somehow, I managed to get up at like 6:45. Now I have an hour of free time before the bus gets here. I'll probably pack up a bunch of candy for the day.

Edward Elrich
August 26th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Good luck, Hotrod!

Hotrod
August 26th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Thanks. Yeah, I managed to live through the first day, and I was happy to learn that a lot of my friends have also decided to continue into the IB, though I already knew that some were doing it.

The first thing that my homeroom teacher recommended us was to not get a job, and if we do, to not work more than 6 hours a week, or else it'd lower our notes. I'm not sure what I should do. I'd like to get a job, to get some money, but I want to have some free time here and there, not stay up until 3am doing homework after shifts, and still get good grades. Any suggestions from Modacity?

Bad Waffle
August 26th, 2008, 09:19 PM
dont get a job, school is your new job.

Reaper Man
August 27th, 2008, 08:28 AM
I pity you, I hate IB. The whole damn thing's a farce.

JunkfoodMan
August 30th, 2008, 04:58 PM
No idea what IB is, but congrats on being one.
You can do the IB at selected 6th form colleges around the country.
My sister started it, but she dropped out in the first year because of the laborious work load.
Good Luck I guess.

E: wait was that a bump? fffffffff..