PDA

View Full Version : hmm SP cutscene idea...?

Malloy
September 6th, 2008, 02:35 PM
i was thinking of ways to make SP cutscenes more dramatic and was wondering if you could swap players and AI enemies from realtime to animated scenery...

example:

MC comes across a brute captain on a bridge and MC has to go through him... cutscene

*camera pan* - whilst camera pans to the two spectacles in question they're swapped with an accurately placed animated scenery

-in which they have quite an indepth battle with the MC doing things you couldnt really do like have him jump on the vrutes back and break his neck or something loltastic.

after battle cutscene player spawns back to the position and there is a dead brute on the floor, MC can continue mission.

doable?

teh lag
September 6th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Why do you need animated scenery? You can have any object play a custom animation. How do you think the cinematic anims in retail are done?

(custom_animation <unit> <animation_graph> <string> <boolean>)

starts a custom animation playing on a unit (interpolates into animation if last parameter is TRUE)

In other words yes.

Malloy
September 6th, 2008, 02:55 PM
wait if this is common knowledge how come we havent seen things like ellaborate finishing attacks when an enemies health reaches a certain low.

example: elites health reaches like 10 from 100,(i dont knwo health specifics)

then the players gets a scripted message saying press 'e' to finish the enemy in which the chief like flying roundhouse kicks the elite jaw to the ground.

rofl.

Pkmnrulz240
September 6th, 2008, 03:44 PM
wait if this is common knowledge how come we havent seen things like ellaborate finishing attacks when an enemies health reaches a certain low.
Because that's stupid. Just shoot his ass.

Malloy
September 6th, 2008, 03:48 PM
lol unless you havent realised games today are going for more cinematic detail and feel then the just shoot a repetative AI drone for fun notion.

i think Halo CE has good capabilities for something cinematically epic.

teh lag
September 6th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Because that's stupid. Just shoot his ass.
^

lol unless you havent realised games today are going for more cinematic detail and feel then the just shoot a repetative AI drone for fun notion.

He realizes, he just thinks it's not worth the time. Not to mention that there has YET to be a full-scale totally custom CE map released, let alone something "cinematically epic."

Malloy
September 6th, 2008, 04:12 PM
ha ha, all this pescamism i see what you meant though :P

hey mb this brief convo has inspired someone to do fill that void.

topic lock please?

teh lag
September 6th, 2008, 04:19 PM
ha ha, all this pescamism i see what you meant though :P

hey mb this brief convo has inspired someone to do fill that void.

topic lock please?

1. Pessimism*

2. You can lock it yourself. Go to thread tools.

Pkmnrulz240
September 6th, 2008, 04:21 PM

It's called a "gimmick."

Halo CE would have the capability to have something cinematically epic if our editing kit wasn't locked down and if the graphics weren't 4 (or, technically, 7) years old.

Malloy
September 6th, 2008, 04:23 PM
its not really a gimmick really if it gives the player a whole sense of more indepth gameplay. its more like progression.